U.S. Adapts Cold-War Idea to Fight Terrorists

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Ways to fight the terrorists!!!
A primary focus has become cyberspace, which is the global safe haven of terrorist networks. To counter efforts by terrorists to plot attacks, raise money and recruit new members on the Internet, the government has mounted a secret campaign to plant bogus e-mail messages and Web site postings, with the intent to sow confusion, dissent and distrust among militant organizations, officials confirm.
Wouldn't that confuse and mislead a whole lot of ordinary web cruisers as well? How do I know that this article isn't a bogus report?
I can't see what good it does to inform one's enemy of new strategies to combat them?
At the same time, American diplomats are quietly working behind the scenes with Middle Eastern partners to amplify the speeches and writings of prominent Islamic clerics who are renouncing terrorist violence.
A great way of "putting words into their mouths"!! Sowing seeds of discontent is already one of America's much used tools! Perhaps it is hoped to pin one cleric against another, kind of separate them from each other by putting them into two main categories... the good and the bad. A good example is the situation in Palestine with Abbas on the good and Hamas on the bad side. Same tactic in Iraq ... Sunnies are the good, Shiites the bad, or is it the other way around? The concept is the same: Let them destroy each other... all the better for us!!
Sorry, folks, I didn't sleep well, that's why I'm so negative this morning!
Anyway, I leave you the link to the three-page report... perhaps you will find the good and positive in there. I didn't bother reading the entire thing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/wa...hp&oref=slogin

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
.... Wonder if a few of them don't post here?

Woof!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The bad thing about being a chronic liar (like the US has been for some decades) is nobody believes them if they were to tell the truth.
This article would seem to indicate they are just starting (or thinking of starting) this type of program. NOT.
A few years ago didn't they 'dismantle' (actually they only took the name off the door) a department that basically said 'propaganda office' after somebody pointed out that when spreading propaganda you shouldn't have propaganda on the letterhead, or something to that effect.