TTC rider dons homemade protective head gear

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Published Feb 28, 2023 • Last updated 1 day ago • 2 minute read
Screengrab of man wearing homemade protective headgear on TTC bus.
Screengrab of man wearing homemade protective headgear on TTC bus. PHOTO BY DIANA SIMONICOVA /Instagram
One TTC rider is taking safety matters into his own hands – er, head.

Even with the addition of Toronto Police officers and an increased presence of TTC staff and supervisors, riders still have concerns about their safety while using the transit system.

So it makes sense that riders want to protect themselves – even if they might look a little silly doing so.

Diana Simonicova and her brother were riding a Route 68 TTC bus in the Warden Ave.-Ellesmere Rd. area earlier this month when she saw a fellow passenger and knew she “had to capture him.”

The man was wearing protective head gear – but not a helmet, it should be noted. The protection was evidently some sort of homemade safety gear he fashioned himself.

“I thought it was a vacuum because it had wire on the back side,” Simonicova told The Toronto Sun, noting there was a wire on the back.

She noted it was “firmly attached” and “didn’t move at all,” adding that it was only his head that had protection – unless you count all his shopping.

“When he came on the bus, it was very funny to see something like that. I thought he came from a different universe,” Simonicova joked. “He was like 6-feet-tall, he was carrying lots of bags, and there were times he was just playing on his phone.”

She said that other passengers were unfazed by the sight of him.

“People on the bus didn’t pay attention. It was, like, normal to them, I guess.”

Simonicova added: “I think no one can blame him; I think it’s better for some people. Maybe he didn’t feel safe.”

In recent months, random, unprovoked attacks have taken place on TTC subways, streetcars, buses, resulting in deaths and serious injuries.

On June 17, 2022, a 28-year-old woman was set on fire by a man at Kipling station. She later died in hospital.

On Dec. 8, 2022, a 31-year-old woman was killed and another was seriously injured when they were stabbed on the subway at High Park station.

On Dec. 19, 2022, six people were randomly assaulted on the subway near St. Clair station.

On Jan. 23, 2023, two TTC operators were victims of a swarming attack by a group of youths on a Scarborough bus.

On Jan. 25, 2023, two TTC workers were chased by a man wielding a syringe at Dundas station. That same day, a 16-year-old boy was stabbed on a bus at Old Mill station.

On Feb. 8, 2023, a child was the victim of a “hate-motivated attack” on a TTC bus, near Danforth Ave. and Main St.
1677743788779.png

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
"The man was wearing protective head gear – but not a helmet, it should be noted. The protection was evidently some sort of homemade safety gear he fashioned himself."

Looks like a shop vac.....lol

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"The man was wearing protective head gear – but not a helmet, it should be noted. The protection was evidently some sort of homemade safety gear he fashioned himself."

Looks like a shop vac.....lol
I was thinking plastic gas can. To the left of the handle looks like a spout cover.

Well, I guess if he falls down, a concerned passer-by can just grab the handle and haul him up.

• Haha
Reactions: Dixie Cup

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Published Feb 28, 2023 • Last updated 1 day ago • 2 minute read
Screengrab of man wearing homemade protective headgear on TTC bus.
Screengrab of man wearing homemade protective headgear on TTC bus. PHOTO BY DIANA SIMONICOVA /Instagram
One TTC rider is taking safety matters into his own hands – er, head.

Even with the addition of Toronto Police officers and an increased presence of TTC staff and supervisors, riders still have concerns about their safety while using the transit system.

So it makes sense that riders want to protect themselves – even if they might look a little silly doing so.

Diana Simonicova and her brother were riding a Route 68 TTC bus in the Warden Ave.-Ellesmere Rd. area earlier this month when she saw a fellow passenger and knew she “had to capture him.”

The man was wearing protective head gear – but not a helmet, it should be noted. The protection was evidently some sort of homemade safety gear he fashioned himself.

“I thought it was a vacuum because it had wire on the back side,” Simonicova told The Toronto Sun, noting there was a wire on the back.

She noted it was “firmly attached” and “didn’t move at all,” adding that it was only his head that had protection – unless you count all his shopping.

“When he came on the bus, it was very funny to see something like that. I thought he came from a different universe,” Simonicova joked. “He was like 6-feet-tall, he was carrying lots of bags, and there were times he was just playing on his phone.”

She said that other passengers were unfazed by the sight of him.

“People on the bus didn’t pay attention. It was, like, normal to them, I guess.”

Simonicova added: “I think no one can blame him; I think it’s better for some people. Maybe he didn’t feel safe.”

In recent months, random, unprovoked attacks have taken place on TTC subways, streetcars, buses, resulting in deaths and serious injuries.

On June 17, 2022, a 28-year-old woman was set on fire by a man at Kipling station. She later died in hospital.

On Dec. 8, 2022, a 31-year-old woman was killed and another was seriously injured when they were stabbed on the subway at High Park station.

On Dec. 19, 2022, six people were randomly assaulted on the subway near St. Clair station.

On Jan. 23, 2023, two TTC operators were victims of a swarming attack by a group of youths on a Scarborough bus.

On Jan. 25, 2023, two TTC workers were chased by a man wielding a syringe at Dundas station. That same day, a 16-year-old boy was stabbed on a bus at Old Mill station.

On Feb. 8, 2023, a child was the victim of a “hate-motivated attack” on a TTC bus, near Danforth Ave. and Main St.
View attachment 17508
ride the red rocket at your own risk. 🚀 🚇 🚎 🚐 🚌 :(