Trudeau says 'erosion of trust,' bad communications sparked SNC-Lavalin controversy

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I think Canada can also learn from the US'lower minum wage which reduces the risk of the government legislating an unskilled worker into unemployment.
Hunh?
Governmens are legislating unskilled workers into unemployment?
Link, please ...
I'm sure that the dirt poor in the US really appreciate being paid less and less as the top 1% are making more and more and paying less and less tax back into the system. They can make America great that way but I sure hope that we leave those sorts of negative growth tactics south of our border.

Basic economics. If you raise the minimum wage, then we criminalize an employer who's not willing to pay less than that. As a result, either the worker is left unemployed or the employer is willing to pay him under the table.

This does not mean that we should not help the poor. For example, I would support the introduction of a moderate personal-wealth tax on all personal wealth above the necessities of life and increased funding for universal compulsory education and literacy, trades, and professional education for the unemployed and even addiction therapy too. I'm even open to the idea of a negative wealth tax for those who earn below a certain amount even though I think it should be well regulated. For example, we might give any money to a person in the form of a Government debit card that could not be used to buy alcohol, tobacco, lottery tickets, etc. But yes, in principle, I do believe in helping the poor. I just think we need to do so in a more responsible manner, not by legislating unskilled workers out of work.

And yes I'm well aware that even with restrictions on a Government debit card, a person could always use the money to buy something to then barter; but if we can make it less convenient for him, that's already a plus.