Tourist says she unknowingly posed with highly venomous octopus

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
27,401
784
113
Tourist says she unknowingly posed with highly venomous octopus
A video shows a Virginia woman holding the blue-ringed octopus in the palm of her hands

Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:Mar 24, 2021 • 1 day ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
TikTok user @kaylinmarie21 shared a video of her encounter with the venomous blue-ringed octopus while in Bali, Indonesia.
TikTok user @kaylinmarie21 shared a video of her encounter with the venomous blue-ringed octopus while in Bali, Indonesia. PHOTO BY @KAYLINMARIE21 /TikTok video screengrab
Article content
An American tourist said she unwittingly had a close encounter with a deadly exotic creature when she held it to pose for photo in Bali.

A viral TikTok video, posted by Kaylin Phillips, who goes by @kaylinmarie21 on the video-sharing platform, showed the Virginia woman holding a highly venomous octopus called the blue-ringed octopus in the palm of her hands.


Though the clip was posted on Monday, Phillips explained in a second video that the image was taken three years ago while she was student studying abroad and involved with the filming a documentary on animal welfare in Indonesia.

“I remember when we saw this little guy swim up, we picked him up. There were about three of us passing him around and we didn’t think anything of it,” Phillips said.

“We actually saw another one similar, picked that one up as well.”

She said she only realized her close encounter with death after sharing the video on her Instagram story.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

According to Ocean Conservancy, the cephalopod may look perfectly innocuous at first glance.

“Its psychedelic colouring and pint-sized packaging make it seem more adorable than alarming,” marine ecologist Erin Spencer wrote on Ocean Conservancy’s website. “But don’t let its cuddly exterior fool you: this tiny octopus can kill you. And quickly.”

Calling it one of the most dangerous animals in the ocean, Spencer said the blue-ringed octopus’ venom is “1,000 times more powerful than cyanide, and this golf-ball sized powerhouse packs enough venom to kill 26 humans within minutes.”

The octopus’ venom blocks nerve signals, causing muscle numbness and muscle paralysis, which can be fatal when it attacks respiratory muscles.

While there is no known antidote, victims can be saved if artificial respiration is started immediately, according to Ocean Conservancy.
1616722138148.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
45,588
1,206
113
Heat is great for breaking down proteins (venom) .

Not for these critters:

The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) has warned people not to eat grilled blue-ring octopus as its venom is lethal.

The octopus was sold at the market in Pathum Thani province.

The DMCR official Facebook page wrote that the Marine and Coastal Resources Research and Development Institute had received a report from Jantra Phumphuang who saw the poisonous octopus was sold at the market.

The page posted pictures of the grilled octopus to warn consumers to check the food whether it has a pattern of blue rings on its body before eating.

The blue ring octopus’s venom is very lethal and it can tolerate heat more than 200 deg C, so the cooking process would not get rid of the poison, the DMCR wrote.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.asia...mous-blue-ringed-octopus-sold-thai-market?amp
 

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
96,840
2,776
113
Moccasin Flats
Not for these critters:

The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) has warned people not to eat grilled blue-ring octopus as its venom is lethal.

The octopus was sold at the market in Pathum Thani province.

The DMCR official Facebook page wrote that the Marine and Coastal Resources Research and Development Institute had received a report from Jantra Phumphuang who saw the poisonous octopus was sold at the market.

The page posted pictures of the grilled octopus to warn consumers to check the food whether it has a pattern of blue rings on its body before eating.

The blue ring octopus’s venom is very lethal and it can tolerate heat more than 200 deg C, so the cooking process would not get rid of the poison, the DMCR wrote.


https://www.google.com/amp/www.asiaone.com/asia/public-warned-against-eating-venomous-blue-ringed-octopus-sold-thai-market?amp
The temperature of a deep fryer.
 

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
45,588
1,206
113
I once bought a whole octopus. I didn't even bother chopping it up. I just shoved it in the frying pan whole. It wouldn't fit in it properly and its tentacles hung over the sides of the pan. I managed to get it all fried, though.