Too big to fail?

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Maybe it's a fault in me; maybe not, but I tend to look for the root causes of things - or as close as I can get by mentally digging for them. It leads me to make radical suggestions that can tend to be mocked, but so be it.

In the current SNC-Lavalin affair with its alleged potential to eliminate thousands of jobs and upset the whole Quebec economy, it seems to me that the original problem lay in permitting SNC and Lavalin to merge in the first place; to create a huge provincial, maybe national monopoly in the design/management of major engineering projects; especially Canadian government ones. Maybe the company should never have been allowed to reach the status of 'too big to fail.'

Wise

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
Would a bigger company create more bribes than a smaller company? Maybe. "too big to fail" - is there even such a thing?

Bribes - are they ethical? Probably not. But, this is the world where everybody hands out cash for any reason.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
Maybe it's a fault in me; maybe not, but I tend to look for the root causes of things - or as close as I can get by mentally digging for them. It leads me to make radical suggestions that can tend to be mocked, but so be it.

In the current SNC-Lavalin affair with its alleged potential to eliminate thousands of jobs and upset the whole Quebec economy, it seems to me that the original problem lay in permitting SNC and Lavalin to merge in the first place; to create a huge provincial, maybe national monopoly in the design/management of major engineering projects; especially Canadian government ones. Maybe the company should never have been allowed to reach the status of 'too big to fail.'

The potential loss of thousands of Quebec jobs is a complete liberal lie and smokescreen. Those construction jobs were never in jeopardy, only SNC Lavalin's ability to bid on them.

Liberal lies to create animosity in Quebec and pander to fear for their votes, which blew up in their faces. Trudeau, Liberals, and SNC Lavalin deserve everything that's coming to them, and the workers in Quebec...the ones who do the work will be minimally affected.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The potential loss of thousands of Quebec jobs is a complete liberal lie and smokescreen. Those construction jobs were never in jeopardy, only SNC Lavalin's ability to bid on them.
SNC was banned in 2013 from bidding on World Bank contracts. That was the end of them on the world stage. Having them banned from bidding on contracts inside of Canada is what is trying to be saved. Ban them and the only ones that can bid are companies the World Bank favors and they are not going to be putting Canadians above their shareholders.

SNC-Lavalin's scandal-plagued past

Last edited:

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016
SNC was banned in 2013 from bidding on World Bank contracts. That was the end of them on the world stage. Having them banned from bidding on contracts inside of Canada is what is trying to be saved. Ban them and the only ones that can bid are companies the World Bank favors and they are not going to be putting Canadians above their shareholders.

Do you think Trudeau is really putting average Canadians ahead of his "shareholders" in Quebec? How about putting aside their ethical standards for Quebec support? They wonder why Canadians have such animosity for Quebec, yet they do everything in their power to fuel that animosity with garbage like this.

Its a bloody shame that SNC is being banned by everyone on the planet for being so completely corrupt, the Liberal Government should not be complicit in their scandal and illegalities by trying to cover up their scandalous mess. In fact, they should be doing the opposite, taking JWR's advise and distancing themselves as far away from the stink and rot as they can.

It's amazing that the Liberals can't seem to figure out that wrestling with pigs can be a messy affair.

VIBC

Electoral Member
Mar 3, 2019
"too big to fail" - is there even such a thing?

Maybe not literally, gbut in terms of government off-the-hook handouts there have been plenty. I guess my suggestion was that it could be a wise option to regulate so that companies can't get that big; so big that govt thinks it can't afford to let them go under.