Tiny Minority Attempts to Decide Canada's Future

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
BC'r said:
Lets admit it we are all wanna be Americans,,,, our tv, movies, sports......we do not have a culture or identity....multicultural stands for nothing but individuality not patriotic. Lets all join as a North American republic and protect the culture of North Americans. The sooner the better.....a not proud Canadian....a British Columbian firstly and a North American secondly.....!

Are you crazy? Why not just sign our own death wish right now. As it stands, the United States is responsible for hundreds of warcrimes and it doesn't stop there. The American people are ruled by a relentless and mentally ill (?) leader who's continually restricting and robbing them of their freedoms.

I'm sure if you were in Austria, Netherlands, Belgium or France before they were invaded by Nazi Germany you would also have wanted in to the Third Reich. Or maybe it's because you like feeding huge corporations in their attempts at global dominance in market shares... not just to their respective industries, but to all industries.

A North American republic is the stupidist idea I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. That is, unless ofcourse, you want to be the same as everybody else with no individuality working as a robot in a slave market at your desk from 9-5 at some company owned by TimeWarner just making your boss richer every hour.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
BC'r said:
Lets admit it we are all wanna be Americans,,,, our tv, movies, sports......we do not have a culture or identity....multicultural stands for nothing but individuality not patriotic. Lets all join as a North American republic and protect the culture of North Americans. The sooner the better.....a not proud Canadian....a British Columbian firstly and a North American secondly.....!

Speak for yourself. Québec has its own artist, television shows, award shows, movies, theatric shows... We have our own culture, distinct from Canadian and American TV. I think, Canadian TV is very developped. Take the CBC for example, they have 35% of the total viewers in Canada watching them as any time. CBC, is Canadian content only. CTV, has its own line of show as well, though not Canadian only, it is second for ratings. Ther thought of a North American republic is repulsive, and we all know how that would turn out, horrific. No more services, or social programs. Well, for Canada, we would most likely seperate and join the EU or France (given that the Association option would be eliminated).

I thought you had a masters degree? In what, stupidity? Your university must be ther crapiest one in the history of Mankind if you ignore so much of what comes out of your mouth.

You strike me as a the typical uninformed/ignorant high school student.

Démocrite

Nominee Member
Jun 1, 2004
You haven't travelled much, have you? Canada has no identity? No culture? Oh really? That's the most grossly irrelevant comment have ever heard. Do you read books? Have you done any research or are you just saying stupidities to get some special attention? Grow up and be a man.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Démocrite said:
You haven't travelled much, have you? Canada has no identity? No culture? Oh really? That's the most grossly irrelevant comment have ever heard. Do you read books? Have you done any research or are you just saying stupidities to get some special attention? Grow up and be a man.

Here, Here Démocrite.

I don't think anyone should both with this guy, as Numure said earlier, probably a high school student who goes to disneyland every 2 years with his family.. hense he wants to become part of a some imaginary wonderland the United States is made out to be.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
BC'r said:

well mate, I'm an Aussie, currently living in Canada.
In Aussie we tend not to like Americans too much, but Canadians we welcome with open arms.

People often ask me why I chose to come up here...... I tell them I came here to help them build the "Great Wall Of Canada" with one door....and one handle.......on the northern side.

The usa & Canada remind me of siamese twins......sort of.....Canada is joined to the us in an unusual way....Canadas groin is attached to the us's hand...............tis time for a "separation".....why in the hell anybody would want to join up with the most hated country on earth is beyond me............

the culture of North Americans......... as an outsider, I am interested in that culture......what can you tell me about it?

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
BC'r said:

mate, feel free to move south asap.......

U$ Develops New Deadly Smallpox Virus (WMD)
Insane Planet – April 13, 2004

The British science journal New Scientist reports that a scientist funded by the US government has deliberately created an extremely deadly form of mousepox, a relative of the smallpox virus, through genetic engineering. The new virus kills all mice even if they have been given antiviral drugs as well as a vaccine that would normally protect them. According to New Scientist the work has not stopped there.

"The cowpox virus, which infects a range of animals including humans, has been genetically altered in a similar way," wrote New Scientist, adding "The new virus, which is about to be tested on animals, should be lethal only to mice, Mark Buller of the University of St Louis told New Scientist. He says his work is necessary to explore what bioterrorists might do."

But the research brings closer the prospect of pox viruses that cause only mild infections in humans being turned into diseases lethal even to people who have been vaccinated. And vaccines are currently our main defence against smallpox and its relatives, such as the monkeypox that reached the US this year.

Some researchers think the latest research is risky and unnecessary. "I have great concern about doing this in a pox virus that can cross species," said Ian Ramshaw of the Australian National University in Canberra on being told of Buller's work.

Ramshaw was a member of the team that accidentally discovered how to make mousepox more deadly (New Scientist, 13 January 2001, p 4). But the modified mousepox his team created was not as deadly as Buller's.

Since then, Ramshaw told New Scientist, his team has also created more deadly forms of mousepox, and has used the same method to engineer a more deadly rabbitpox virus.

But this research revealed that the modified pox viruses are not contagious, he says. That is good news in the sense that these viruses could not cause ecological havoc by wiping out mouse or rabbit populations around the world if they escaped from a lab.

However, this discovery also means some bioterrorists might be more tempted to use the same trick to modify a pox virus that infects humans. Such a disease, like anthrax, would infect only those directly exposed to it.

It would not spread around the world and rebound on the attackers. But there is no guarantee that other pox viruses modified in a similar way would also be non-contagious. Ramshaw's team made its initial discovery while developing contraceptive vaccines for sterilising mice and rabbits without killing them.
http://g0lem.net/vortal/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4

Koga Ringo

Jun 9, 2004
despite common perceptions trade is a relatively small part of Canada's economy

He's kidding, right? Trade is entirely what our economy is about, for heaven's sake, as is every country's! You make stuff and export it, and TRADE for stuff you don't make![/quote]

Yeah, I agree.
Canada wouldn't survive without trade.
It's really big.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
LuShes, are you at all familiar with the work of the Canadian prophet, Bruce Cockburn? I posted a verse from one of his lyrics on another thread recently, and got no response at all. Let me test it here:

"Used to have a town, but the factory moved away,
down to Mexico, where they work for hardly any pay.
Used to have a country, but they sold it down the river,
like a repossessed farm auctioned off to the highest bidder.
Mighty trucks of midnight moving on!...."

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
Interesting verse there, I cannot say I have heard of Bruce Cockburn off the top of my head.

I cannot write poems for the life of me, and I do enjoy some creative writing once in awhile :)

Robert Frost has always been a favorite Canadian artist of mine.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Robert Frost was an American, born and bred in Massachusetts, I believe. The quintessential New Englander. A "swinger of birches." His most frequently misquoted poem concerns "good fences make good neighbors." He suffered deeply the untimely loss of his young wife, and that experience of grief was the genesis of his most transcendent work, naturally. The "road less travelled by." He was a favorite of mine, when I was younger. Tastes change.

LuShes

Electoral Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kamloops, B.C.
www.canadiancontent.net
"Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)

Robert Lee Frost, b. San Francisco, Mar. 26, 1874, d. Boston, Jan. 29, 1963, was one of America's leading 20th-century poets and a four-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize. An essentially pastoral poet often associated with rural New England, Frost wrote poems whose philosophical dimensions transcend any region."

Ok excuse me, my mistake. I must have been thinking of someone else. But I still do enjoy the works of Robert Frost :)

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
They are good, aren't they? "Whose woods these are, I think know. His house is in the village, though. He will not see me stopping here to see his woods fill up with snow." Wonderful stuff, for a man who suffered such pain.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Cockburn is a Canadian singer/songwriter...basically a folkie, Lushes. I think the Bare Naked Ladies remade one of his songs a few years ago.