Tiny creature, frozen for 24,000 years in Siberia, comes back to life

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Tiny creature, frozen for 24,000 years in Siberia, comes back to life
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:Jun 09, 2021 • 26 minutes ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
An aerial view shows thermokarst lakes outside the town of Chersky in northeast Siberia, Aug. 28, 2007.
An aerial view shows thermokarst lakes outside the town of Chersky in northeast Siberia, Aug. 28, 2007. PHOTO BY DMITRY SOLOVYOV /REUTERS / FILES
Article content
MOSCOW — A microscopic organism has wriggled back to life and reproduced asexually after lying frozen in the vast permafrost lands of northeastern Siberia for 24,000 years.

Russian scientists found the tiny, ancient animal called the bdelloid rotifer in soil taken from the river Alazeya in Russia’s region of Yakutia in the far north.

The bdelloid rotifer, a multicellular organism found in freshwater habitats across the world, is known to be able to withstand extreme cold.

Previous research suggested it could survive for a decade when frozen at -20 degrees Celsius.

This new case, which was detailed in a study in the journal Current Biology, is by far the creature’s longest recorded survival period in a frozen state.

The organism was recovered from samples taken 3.5 metres below ground. The material was dated from between 23,960 and 24,485 years ago, the study said.

Land encased in permafrost – where the ground is frozen all year round – has for years thrown up startling scientific discoveries.

Scientists earlier revived microscopic worms called nematodes from sediment in two places in northern Siberia that were dated over 30,000 years old.
1623336561941.png

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You can find these in your garden. Just gather some moss, lichen or tree bark and get a magnifying glass and you may see them.

AureaOlivas

Time Out
Feb 15, 2021
Yeah i have read about this one, and i think that it is really scary enough to think that it can even come up with a virus that could kill us all. I mean they should have just left it frozen or even take it out to prevent that from happening. Even if there is a chance, i’ll take it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah i have read about this one, and i think that it is really scary enough to think that it can even come up with a virus that could kill us all. I mean they should have just left it frozen or even take it out to prevent that from happening. Even if there is a chance, i’ll take it.

There has never been a virus that has killed all humans.

These things are everywhere. Just take a look at a piece of miss from your garden.

Scaremongering nonsense.