Time to Resurrect the Equality Party in Quebec

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
With Legault’s new Bill 96, many of the rights that we enjoy now in Quebec would be lost. For instance, he would outlaw a current requirement that all judges in Quebec be bilingual. For those of us who don’t speak French (myself included), this would place us in a precarious and unjust situation when dealing with the courts. He would also require all businesses in Quebec to communicate with the government solely in French. Even small businesses that are not required to get Francisization certificates. They’d have to hire translators just to communicate with the Quebec government. There are countless other changes included in Bill 96 which would further erode the fundamental rights of English speaking Quebeckers.

The only real solution is to resurrect the Equality Party and run candidates in ridings with a majority English speaking population. Previously, 4 members of the Equality Party were elected to the Quebec Legislature:
Now 60, Libman made his name in politics with the language issue. In 1988 he co-founded the Equality Party as a protest against the Liberal government’s decision to extend a ban on English on commercial signs.

In a historic electoral upset and snub to the Quebec Liberals, Libman and three others — Richard Holden, Gordon Atkinson and Neil Cameron — were elected to the National Assembly where, unfettered by party lines, they pushed the Liberals into softening some linguistic measures.

Quebec Braces for Language War

• Angry
Reactions: taxslave

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
The feds have always been hesitant to support the fundamental rights of English speaking Quebeckers as they fear a resurrection of the separatist movement. Those fears are totally unfounded.

I’m all for the separatist movement. The stronger the better. I’m hoping that one day Quebec separatists finally win a referendum on separation from Canada. They are fully aware that if Canada is divisible, then so is Quebec. Upon separation from Canada, Montreal would eventually hold it’s own referendum to separate from Quebec. No way can separatists ever win a Montreal-only referendum. So Montreal would subsequently “partition” itself from an independent Quebec. This is the only way that Montreal would be able to free itself from Quebec.

Reactions: taxslave

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The feds have always been hesitant to support the fundamental rights of English speaking Quebeckers as they fear a resurrection of the separatist movement. Those fears are totally unfounded.

I’m all for the separatist movement. The stronger the better. I’m hoping that one day Quebec separatists finally win a referendum on separation from Canada. They are fully aware that if Canada is divisible, then so is Quebec. Upon separation from Canada, Montreal would eventually hold it’s own referendum to separate from Quebec. No way can separatists ever win a Montreal-only referendum. So Montreal would subsequently “partition” itself from an independent Quebec. This is the only way that Montreal would be able to free itself from Quebec.
Most of Northern Kwebek would separate or stay with Canada to keep getting the freebees the separatists would never supply them.

Reactions: no color