House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
This article can be found on the web at
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051219/scahill
The War on Al Jazeera

by JEREMY SCAHILL

[from the December 19, 2005 issue]

If the classified memo detailing President Bush's alleged proposal to bomb the headquarters of Al Jazeera is provided to The Nation, we will publish the relevant sections. Why is it so vital that this information be made available to the American people? Because if a President who claims to be using the US military to liberate countries in order to spread freedom then conspires to destroy media that fail to echo his sentiments, he does not merely disgrace his office and soil the reputation of his country. He attacks a fundamental principle, freedom of the press--particularly a dissenting and disagreeable press--upon which that country was founded. --The Editors

http://tinyurl.com/dvwtc

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I'd throw Reuters in too .They both seem to be the only ones who are trying to give us the truth about whats really going on .Their reporters are paying the ultimate sacrifice to get some truth out :(

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
I watch CNN to get the American gist of what is happening then I get on the net for the eye-witness reportage of Al Jazeera. They have balanced reporting and do not back from pointing out the shortcomings of any of the ME powers.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
That is correct PoisonPete2.

Al Jazeera has more enemies from the elites of the middle east who don't like any hint of democracy and enemies from the Islamic fundamentalists who don't like women's rights.

Al Jazeera is an equal opportunity pisser off-er.

The American elites have caught on to that.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Re: RE: The War on Al Jazeera

jimmoyer said:
That is correct PoisonPete2.

Al Jazeera has more enemies from the elites of the middle east who don't like any hint of democracy and enemies from the Islamic fundamentalists who don't like women's rights.

Al Jazeera is an equal opportunity pisser off-er.

The American elites have caught on to that.

What do you mean by women's rights. This is getting old. Have you heard that girls in some countries in Africa as old as 9 years old are forced to marry and they spend 5 days in labour. Why don't you mention those Jim. Women are not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is not the whole ME. About veils, why do nuns cover their heads and most part of their faces? Why don't you go after them too. This is called a culture and it will change when it is ready to change and not according to the US timetable.

Sorry for getting out of topic, but this thing about women in the ME is as old as George Washington.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Of course it is getting old, Moghrabi.

Sheesh. I was only pointing out that al Jazeera has offended some of the old school on pushing westernized concepts of women's rights on to a culture that wants to do any change it wants on its own terms.

Understood.

It's just that al Jazeera is pushing the envelope over there and that's bound to irritate.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
let it irritate them. I don't care and Al-jazeera doesn't either. But this view about women in the ME is so ingrained in the minds of Americans. Take a look somewhere else, you will be amazed at how women are trearted. Do not go too far from home though.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
mrmom2 said:
I'd throw Reuters in too .They both seem to be the only ones who are trying to give us the truth about whats really going on .Their reporters are paying the ultimate sacrifice to get some truth out :(

You are right. Have you ever met some of the Reuters reporting team? I have. I was at the Atlanta bombing at the Olympics, and we stayed in the same hotel. I have a lot of respect for those guys.

Have you ever been in a lockdown? The National Guard and Army
are lined against all the buildings - solid - with rifles. I've been in two by accident. If you haven't, you can't know what feelings that evokes - and it's not fear.

Percy

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Straight-out analysis trumps TRUMPS bias of any kind everytime.

Bias that supports Bush and bias that is against Bush is quite suspect in the world of analyzing the matters before us.

Analysis, dispassionate without OUTRAGE, trumps political prejudice everytime.

I can learn something from Reuters, al Jazeera (the island), CBS, the BBC or from a long ago old poet.

The source of the news can provide.

The reality is for the reader to be discerning, not the passionate writer.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
If any of you are from Western Canada (in a Shaw serviced part of it), please check out my petition to get Shaw to broadcast English Al-Jazeera (a new prospective on news).

Good luck....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/about/burman/letters/2006/11/aljazeera_should_be_available.html

In 2004, the CRTC, Canada’s broadcast regulatory body, placed key conditions on the Arabic service of Al-Jazeera that have effectively prevented it from being available in Canada.

It allowed the service to be shown in Canada but only if cable operators monitored the channel for anything deemed “abusive” under Canada’s hate laws and then deleted it. No cable operator could reasonably be expected to risk or afford that, and – surprise! – no one has.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Of course it is getting old, Moghrabi.

Sheesh. I was only pointing out that al Jazeera has offended some of the old school on pushing westernized concepts of women's rights on to a culture that wants to do any change it wants on its own terms.

Understood.

It's just that al Jazeera is pushing the envelope over there and that's bound to irritate.

Man, why don't you look at your own allies in Middle east, which is saudi arabia, your greath friends where women rights are just a suggestion, why don't you mention this??

northstar

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2006
Man, why don't you look at your own allies in Middle east, which is saudi arabia, your greath friends where women rights are just a suggestion, why don't you mention this??
-logic

LOL...HA-HA! And this response from someone who admits to supporting Hezbollah, the number one Islamist woman-hating oppressor and terrorist organization....these nit-wits are the ones who are the first to punish a woman for not submitting to a man for sex, who are behind the fundelmentalist metality of the law of Islam which is all about child brides, and peophilia, that oppressed women, supports beating and forcing sex on women, that encourages violence and activites that violate any effort towards peace, that force children into marriage, that allows rape and gang rape and medeivil torture...

You are a funny one Logic.

Logic is a supporter of Hezbollah and oh, sometimes hamas...women beaters, child murderers...terrorists.