The Sinking of the MAGA Armada

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

EYE WITNESS REPORT:

Since I live on Lake Travis where the recent Texas boat parade fiasco happened, several people have asked for my take on the situation, so here you go:

Most importantly, there were no deaths. At least one person is still in the ICU with a broken back.

I heard 13 vessels were swamped or sank. Law enforcement has not yet released an official number.

Before the parade started, Lake Travis was CALM with no waves larger than ½-foot. Maximum wind gusts were less than 10 knots.

When the parade started, multiple boats cranked up their motors to show off and began creating excessive wakes. Vessels were driven at unsafe speeds in close proximity. This is what created the dangerous conditions that swamped and sank vessels.

Even after vessels started sinking, there was no cooperation with law enforcement or emergency personnel to slow down and/or reduce the wakes.

First responders had to rescue people from sinking boats WHILE OTHER BOATS passed at close distances at speeds that created more wakes and even more dangerous conditions.

The majority of skippers involved showed ZERO CONCERN for the wellbeing of others, or for the damage they were causing with their wakes. All of this could have been averted had they driven their vessels at slower speeds and at safer distances.

So far, I understand all damaged vessels were part of the parade.

We are still awaiting an official report from the Travis County Sheriff's office that has jurisdiction over Lake Travis.

PS: I was AT THE DOCK during all of this, I generally do not leave the dock on holiday weekends — too many amateurs and drunks on the water each Labor Day, 4th of July, and Memorial Day weekends.

—Scott H Sexton

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary

eye witness report:
Since i live on lake travis where the recent texas boat parade fiasco happened, several people have asked for my take on the situation, so here you go:
Most importantly, there were no deaths. At least one person is still in the icu with a broken back.
I heard 13 vessels were swamped or sank. Law enforcement has not yet released an official number.
Before the parade started, lake travis was calm with no waves larger than ½-foot. Maximum wind gusts were less than 10 knots.
When the parade started, multiple boats cranked up their motors to show off and began creating excessive wakes. Vessels were driven at unsafe speeds in close proximity. This is what created the dangerous conditions that swamped and sank vessels.
Even after vessels started sinking, there was no cooperation with law enforcement or emergency personnel to slow down and/or reduce the wakes.
First responders had to rescue people from sinking boats while other boats passed at close distances at speeds that created more wakes and even more dangerous conditions.
The majority of skippers involved showed zero concern for the wellbeing of others, or for the damage they were causing with their wakes. All of this could have been averted had they driven their vessels at slower speeds and at safer distances.
So far, i understand all damaged vessels were part of the parade.
We are still awaiting an official report from the travis county sheriff's office that has jurisdiction over lake travis.
Ps: I was at the dock during all of this, i generally do not leave the dock on holiday weekends — too many amateurs and drunks on the water each labor day, 4th of july, and memorial day weekends.
—scott h sexton

Maga!