The philosophy of raking leaves...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I don't rake my leaves. The soil here is very thin with an abundance of gravel. What little there is consists mostly of clay. I found that by leaving the leaves over the years the soil has actually improved. Where once the 'lawn' on one side of my house would look more like a desert landscape, I now have a healthy layer of grass. Took me over a decade but the wait was worth it. :)

Reactions: petros

TheShadow

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2020
Grand Bend
I don't rake my leaves. The soil here is very thin with an abundance of gravel. What little there is consists mostly of clay. I found that by leaving the leaves over the years the soil has actually improved. Where once the 'lawn' on one side of my house would look more like a desert landscape, I now have a healthy layer of grass. Took me over a decade but the wait was worth it. :)
I wish that worked here. With so many oak leaves they take forever to break down.

Reactions: petros

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
I go over them with the lawn tractor, blow them out to the side into rows. Then gather them up with a tow behind sweeper. I have a lot of trees.....The mower chops up a lot of them and it filters into the soil. A lot of what I gather up I dump in the vegetable garden and till it in.

Reactions: Mowich

TheShadow

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2020
Grand Bend
have you tried a lawn mower?💡
Yes.
Oak leaves do not break down very well and the resulting mulch doesn't help the grass grow as we are on very sandy loam.
The only good thing the lawn mower does is blow stuff in a direction.
Usually I'll mow the lawn after raking the leaves and that helps.
I've accepted the fact that living in a provincial park means I will rake leaves once a week for about 2 months in the fall.
It is what it is.

TheShadow

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2020
Grand Bend
I go over them with the lawn tractor, blow them out to the side into rows. Then gather them up with a tow behind sweeper. I have a lot of trees.....The mower chops up a lot of them and it filters into the soil. A lot of what I gather up I dump in the vegetable garden and till it in.

If they were not oak and mostly maple, I would start a compost pile, but the oak leaves ruin the compost pile too and I am not about to separate the leaves in a pile.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
If they were not oak and mostly maple, I would start a compost pile, but the oak leaves ruin the compost pile too and I am not about to separate the leaves in a pile.
Mine are Maple........I have a big pile at the back corner of the property