The OFFICIAL Fake News Thread

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
yeah, I know eh.

the fake news narrative is just another shot at the "they're stupid" part of nonprogressives are "racist and stupid" narrative. progressives, academics and journalists are unable to give up on smugness, snobbery and bigotry.

Buzzfeed is coming under fire for the methodology of its Facebook exposé.

The presidential election proved to be fertile ground for the growth of fake news stories. As people became annoyed by tall tales such as “Pope Francis Endorses Donald Trump for President” popping up in their Facebook feeds, the mainstream media decided it was time to fight back. As calls for action from Facebook grew louder, Buzzfeed released a bombshell report: Fake news outperformed real news on Facebook in the final months of the election. This was then widely taken as fact, but it turned out to be, well, untrue.

As Tim Carney reports at the Washington Examiner, Buzzfeed’s research methodology was a mess:
The BuzzFeed study looked only at the top 20 election stories, in terms of engagement, by fake websites and compared it to the top 20 election stories from a tiny list of mainstream sites. The list included left-leaning opinion-heavy outlets like Huffington Post and Vox. . . .

So the “Real News” numbers are from an incomplete, odd, and unexplained subsample of the media.
Buzzfeed narrowly defined “real news” to exclude widely read sources such as Yahoo News, Reuters, the Daily Mail, Associated Press, and all newspapers outside New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. This skewed sample undermines Buzzfeed’s claim that fake news “outperformed” real news on Facebook, since it hides the total amount of traffic that real news sources received, furthering the idea that mass exposure to false stories led to Donald Trump’s election.

Since Buzzfeed published the story, its author Craig Silverman has acknowledged that the data are not perfect, and he stated on Twitter that no one should conclude fake news won the election for Trump. But he stands by the conclusion that fake news saw “bigger engagement” than real news during the campaign. This narrow definition of “engagement” is misleading, to say the least.

more

Buzzfeed & Facebook Fake News: Study Methodology Questioned | National Review

Your Moral And Intellectual Superiors - Small Dead Animals

#infonewstainment

https://www.google.ca/search?q=lame...ved=0ahUKEwjl3uSqt7PQAhVL8IMKHcKGAssQ_AUIBygC

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Non-progressives aren't racist. Racists are racists. I'm neither a progressive nor a racist. You need to stop being so silly

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
The media benefits when they keep stirring up emotions and they will print anything to get the desired reaction from the public.
People should think carefully about what they read and hear and not blindly accept everything that is reported.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The media benefits when they keep stirring up emotions and they will print anything to get the desired reaction from the public.
People should think carefully about what they read and hear and not blindly accept everything that is reported.

You mean Clinton isn't a crook?

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
If anything, this makes us aware that many news article are lies. I believe that news agencies should be held accountable for knowingly publishing non-facts to deceive their readers!! It should not be the readers responsibility to have to fact-check everything, it would take forever.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
David Sirota: Was it "fake news" when our Most Serious Media Outlets pushed the Iraq/WMD myth?

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/799640946748977152?lang=en

It was totally msnufactured, along with the "Orange alert, Red alert" terrorist alarm thing that ran with it. Every pronouncement about Saddam and his arsenal of WMDs was accompanied with a ratcheting up of the alert system ...
"Colin Powell has identified mobile biological warfare labs ORANGE ALERT!! ORANGE ALERT!! "Donald Rumsfeld announces that we"re going to get them." RED ALERT!! RED ALERT!! (...visualizing Saddam's palsied hand hovering over the big, red "Launch" button).

"Ya see Billy-Bob! Saddams got somethin real bayad! Thars another RED ALERT!"

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
it's a little different now with FB, twitter and all the rest of that sh!t. every moral and intellectually superior 'media' outfit with a twitter account gags to have it's feed read and disseminated as gospel.

anyway morans, seek yer own info and use half a brian won't you.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
it's a little different now with FB, twitter and all the rest of that sh!t. every moral and intellectually superior 'media' outfit with a twitter account gags to have it's feed read and disseminated as gospel.

anyway morans, seek yer own info and use half a brian won't you.

I'll bet that YOU thought there were WMDs in Iraq.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I'll bet that YOU thought there were WMDs in Iraq.
Uh, there were. I guess YOU missed the part where they found around 2000 chemical warheads. I guess YOU missed the part where the US (and Britain) provided Iraq with chemical weapons capability back in the '80s.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Uh, there were. I guess YOU missed the part where they found around 2000 chemical warheads. I guess YOU missed the part where the US (and Britain) provided Iraq with chemical weapons capability back in the '80s.

We all know the media fakes stuff