The Minutemen - at a border near you

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Private army ready to patrol U.S. border

Tricia Leslie - Staff reporter

A group of American residents - some who will be packing weapons - will start patrolling the 32-kilometre area from Blaine to Sumas in Washington along the U.S. border starting Oct. 1.

That's when the Washington detachment of the Arizona-based Minuteman Civil Defence Corps will look to beef up security along the U.S. border, keeping an eye out for illegal immigrants and terrorists, among other things.

Although the private army is not allowed to use long rifles or shotguns, those who have a permit to carry are able to have pistols with them at all times.

"We deal with bona fide law-enforcement agencies on a regular basis," said RCMP Staff Sgt. John Ward, senior spokesman for B.C. RCMP. "Our concern is, if there's a group out there that's armed and they inject themselves into our sphere of duties . . . if there's weapons around, there's always reason to be concerned."

Ward said RCMP want to ensure Minuteman members understand Canadian sovereignty and that they cannot interfere with lawful police duties on this side of the border.

"This is Canadian soil," Ward said. "If anyone intends to come into this country with a weapon, they must follow proper procedure, just as all law enforcement officers have to."

Minuteman media spokesman Tom "Skipper" Williams did not return the Times' calls by deadline, but the Minuteman website [www.minutemanhq.com] describes the group and its goals, complete with an Uncle Sam-wannabe who states "I want YOU as a Minuteman volunteer to secure the U.S. border."

Comprised of civilians, many of them Vietnam veterans, the group has been described as vigilantes by U.S. President George W. Bush.

But vigilantism is what RCMP officers do not want to see or encourage.

"We would not encourage that sort of behaviour," Ward said. "But if a group wanted to get involved while working with police, we'd certainly encourage that . . . it works with programs like Neighbourhood Watch and Speed Watch, where citizens partner with the police."

The Minuteman Civil Defence Corps is not recognized as official by any law-enforcement agency in the U.S. or Canada.

Ward said he has not heard of any incidents involving the Minuteman corps in the past.

"We're just trying to ensure that there isn't an incident," he said.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: The Minutemen - at a

I rewatched "Bowling for Columbine" last night on mother corp and really realized how so many nutjobs and nutjob groups have guns (not to mention other weapons) in that country. Pretty scarey. This Minutemen are whacko's in my opinion. They best stay on their side of border.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I saw on news tonight these clowns are going to start patrolling border today. Some have guns. I see potential that they may have a shootout or two with the Hells Angels eventually. I also see they have ties to racist groups in America. They are also known to be anti immigration. All I can say is stay on your side of border, the last thing we need is a bunch of gun toting trigger happy neocons "patrolling" near us.

U.S. Minutemen set to start guarding B.C. border

Minuteman Project Expands to Northern Border

Just a minute, Minutemen; Vermont says 'No thanks'

“Minutemen, racist, KKK, fascists out of the USA!

The Minutemen chose Long Island to launch their neo-Nazi campaign against immigrants because recent arrests, police harassment, evictions and official sanctions against Mexican day laborers residing in Farmingville have encouraged reactionaries to believe that a Minuteman pre sence could be established in the area.

USA officials seek to declare "border vigilantism"
a federal hate crime

Los Angeles, Alta California - August 15, 2005 - (ACN) At a press conference Friday at the offices of the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores (Department of State of the Republic of Mexico), four USA elected officials said that they will be asking the Bush Administration to declare "border vigilantism" against Mexican and other immigrants along the US/Mexico border prosecutable and punishable under the federal hate crime laws. The officials said that the violent activities by groups like the Minutemen vigilantes, the KKK, white supremacy militias and other similar groups are totally unacceptable.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
It's mostly a bunch of fat,old men on lawn chairs [with sun umbrellas overhead] peering thru binoculars. I don't see them as much of a threat..it's just an alternative to hanging around the malls ans bragging about the "old' days.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

apparently the racist minutemen have left for now. Not much action.

Site where story from can't direct link to it

Minutemen Gone
Oct, 30 2005 - 6:20 PM

VANCOUVER(CKNW/AM980) - The private army of Americans known as the "Minutemen" have abandoned their posts at the Canada US border in Washington for now.

Dozens of American volunteers, mostly veterans, set up their controversial armed border patrols October 1st and have now taken the them down.

Minutemen Project Co-ordinator Tom Williams says it's difficult to say whether the 30 days spent at the border was a success.

There were few exciting moments.

"Reported lots of vehicles that had stopped along Zero Avenue and then taken off again.

A dog got run over at Zero Avenue, things like that.

So, whether we actually stopped anybody or not, only the border patrol knows."

Williams says the Minutemen will be back patrolling the Canada US border from Blaine to Sumas in the spring.

minutemen

a paragraph-

After gathering at 15th and N, with food provided by Sacramento Food Not Bombs, protesters marched to the area where the Minutemen were gathered to give them their regards. On the way, they noticed recruitment flyers put up by the National Alliance, a white supremacist group with ties to the Minutemen. As expected, when the protesters arrived, one set of racist vigilantes - the Minutemen - were being protected by another set of racist vigilantes - the brown shirts (CHP) and the blue shirts (Sacto PD). With whistles, megaphones, shouting and the Brass Liberation Orchestra, the Minutemen were greeted with a wall of sound, along with dozens of colorful banners and posters, and the breaking of a Minuteman piñata. The kops arrested a protester for not getting out of the road fast enough and brutalized him so bad they had to take him to the hospital afterward.

We do not need these clowns anywhere near us.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I don't get it there racist because they want their goverment to do their jobs and gaurd the border from illegal immigration.the minute men believe in their constitutiin and hate Bush whats the problem .

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
And you got this info from where ?I've heard the leader of them on the radio and been following them long before any of you heard of them and I think your beleiving the smear campaign being waged against them by the political elite they've totaly embarrassed