The Harperites

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: The Harperites

splinters said:
Well it's not exactly like the Conservatives can come off as attractive now that they've attracted attention to themselves with the hidieous beast. Once you've brought a crappy casserol to the potluck once, people are much more hesitant in trying your cuisine again.

Its too bad people are more concerned with a party leaders looks and personal charisma than his policies. Oh well, we get the government we deserve.

splinters

Sep 3, 2005
Montreal Kebec

MMMike said:
splinters said:
Well it's not exactly like the Conservatives can come off as attractive now that they've attracted attention to themselves with the hidieous beast. Once you've brought a crappy casserol to the potluck once, people are much more hesitant in trying your cuisine again.

Its too bad people are more concerned with a party leaders looks and personal charisma than his policies. Oh well, we get the government we deserve.

Eh?!
Dude! No!
That wasn't about their physical appearance!!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
It's the policies that scare people off MMMike. Especially when there seems to be a reluctance to make those policies fully public.

Abortion is an example of that. So is Iraq. So is the whole military policy. So is how the Conservatives handled the Arar affair.

Lately the Conservatives seem to be extremely reluctant to deal with policy at all, instead preferring to be scandal-mongers.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Exactly splinters! those neocons turned the whole country againist them with their comments about chretien bell's pasley. One can only wonder where human beings with handicapps and other afflictions would be under them.

Typical neocons, shoot themselves in the head. :roll: :roll:

"except for the part of having to see Paul Martins face uuuuuughh.... looks like a rasin dipped in bleach"

ah! desperate times eh pepper kid, how christian of you... :?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Hey go ahead there missle, your not exactly pretending to be something yur not eh? Man after all that preaching on sunday, and now this...mmmmmmm fe fi fo fum...me smell a big old hypocrite :p

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
They are no more secretive about their policies than is any other party. Let's agree to disagree about the abortion "non-policy" because its been beaten to death all over this forum. You ask the general population what the Conservatives' policies are, and they don't have a clue. Most don't have a clue what anybody's policies are beyond a general feel for where they are on the political spectrum. Most base their votes on the two-second sound bites on the TV news, and their superficial impression of the leader. I'll be the first to admit Harper has all the charisma of a dead fish. It is unfortunate that there is so much apathy.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I don't think that general apathy is leading to judgements being based on soundbites, I think that soundbite politics and news reporting is leading to a general apathy among voters.

Both CTV and CBC (regular station) have the same basic allocation of time for news coverage that they did 30 years ago. 30 years ago, issues were discussed in detail.

It was in the 1980s that soundbites took over from true political discourse. That was largely the product of politicians becoming adept at managing the media.

Still, real information is available. Question Period is on TV every day. Interviews not just with politicians, but with the people in the backrooms are available on television and in the printed press. Every party has a website. Party conventions are televised.

I watch all of these things, so do a lot of other people. The Conservatives do not seem to have any real policies except on contentious, often religiously-based, issues.

LeftCoast

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005
Vancouver
I think televising question period was the beginning of the end. Now rather than any sort of substantial debat, every question is posed simply to make the person asking the question look good to the viewers at home.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
They do play to the cameras, Left Coast. It sure beats reading Hansard though.

A lot of the crap that goes on in the House would be eliminated if they showed exactly who the monkeys doing the heckling are. That wouldn't eliminate the grandstanding, but at least the person speaking could be heard.

Uber mullet

Oct 16, 2005
mrmom2 said:
Sounds like your talking about the whole Parliment Rev :x

This is so true!!!
It's pronounced Tex-ass!! Harpo and the rest of the Reform, i mean Conservative's would fit in down south of the border.
The Bloc, they need to forget about seperating and realize their economy in La Belle Provance sucks, and the smart people have moved on.
NDP? Broadbent still in charge there?

Uber mullet

Oct 16, 2005

Reverend Blair said:
Layton is firmly in charge of the NDP, Uber Mullet. Broadbent will be retiring after this term because his wife is ill.

I was being sarcastic rev!

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Reverend Blair said:
I watched Question Period today, like I do on many days, and I was wondering....WHEN THE FECK ARE WE GOING TO GET AN OFFICIAL OPPOSITION THAT DOES ITS FECKING JOB?!!!

Christ, these guys have no interest in addressing actual policy. All they do is scandal monger and yell and scream. Not only don't they look like a viable government in waiting, they don't even look like adults. They act like a herd of junior high kids with a substitute teacher. They have no manners, no pride, no intelligence, and no idea how to act outside of a Chuckee feckin' Cheese.

I got a better question. When are we going to get a government that actually governs instead of does everything it can to line its own pockets. How in the HELL can you go after the opposition for going after the government scandals when there are so many of them? The government has no morals, no ethics, and no ability to govern outside of a rubber room.