Dec 15, 2018
The good defence lineup 2006-07:

Ferdinand - Van Buyten - Heinze

Correct formation is a 3-5-2 to United.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
English teams are dominating Europe this season. All four of the finalists in the two European club tournaments are English:

2019 Champions League final

Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool

2019 Europa League final

Chelsea vs Arsenal

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And there were lots of great comebacks for those English teams to reach those finals.

In the Champions League Semi-final first leg between Barcelona and five-time winners Liverpool at the Nou Camp, Liverpool were trounced 3-0. Starting the second leg 3-0 down on aggregate, it seemed like a mountain to climb, but they won 4-0 to reach the Final 4-3 on aggregate.

In the other Champions League Semi-final London club Tottenham Hotspur lost at home in their fantastic new stadium 1-0 to Amsterdam side Ajax. In the second leg in Amsterdam, Ajax went 2-0 up in the game to go 3-0 up on aggregate and it looked like they would play Liverpool in the Final. But somehow, Tottenham came back from 2-0 down to go 3-2 up to make it 3-3 on aggregate, and went through to the Final courtesy of having scored more away goals than Ajax. Even more heartbreakingly for Ajax, Tottenham's winning goal came in the 96th minute, almost the last kick of the game:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xykJYYgohSE&t=129s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bSCRzjOXOpE&t=13s

In the Europa League Semi-final, Chelsea were 3-1 down in the penalty shootout but still went on to win it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
European Cup/Champions League:

Liverpool - Five-time winners: 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005

Tottenham Hotspur - Never won it and never played in the Final. They were, however, the first British team to win a major European tournament - the 1963 Cup Winners' Cup - and won the inaugural Uefa Cup - forerunner to the Europa League - in 1972.

Uefa Cup/Europa League:

Chelsea: Winners in 2013

Arsenal: Never won it.

This is also the tournament's first final to be contested between two teams from the same city (London).

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
TONY PARSONS Liverpool’s win over gutless Barcelona was the greatest win in English football history

Barcelona's 4-0 defeat could only have happened at Anfield, says Tony Parsons

Comment
By Tony Parsons, Sun on Sunday Columnist
12th May 2019
The Sun on Sunday

Champions League semi-final, second leg

Liverpool 4-0 Barcelona

(Liverpool win 4-3 on aggregate)

IT could only have happened in Liverpool.

When I watched Liverpool recover from a three-goal deficit to stuff Barcelona — widely considered the best team in the world — by a gob-smacking, mind-boggling, gravity-defying 4–0, I honestly believed that this was the greatest performance ever by an English football club.

Liverpool beat Barcelona 4-0 in the Champions League, after being three goals down from the first leg

Now I have sobered up. And a few days have gone by. And I have had some time to think about it in the cold light of day.

And you know what? I STILL think that was the greatest performance by any English football club in history.

In the other Champions League semi-final, Tottenham had their own magnificent, Frank Sinatra-sized comeback from a 3–0 deficit against Ajax. And all credit to those swaggering Spurs. But that felt like the triumph of a football club. Liverpool’s win felt like a victory for a city.

Liverpool gave a three-goal start to a team boasting the best player on the planet. And then Liverpool gave them a bloody good hiding.

You did not need to be a Liverpool fan — or even a football fan, or even a sports fan — to watch that match and feel glad to be alive.

Liverpool v Barcelona was a performance that made you believe in the power of never giving up.

It made you believe — truly believe — that passion, commitment and hard work are rewarded.

It made you believe — ain’t no mountain high enough, ain’t no valley low enough.

And I am not sure it could have happened in any other city.

That performance demanded a cocktail of pride, community and grit that you are unlikely to find anywhere else.

The fight. The fortitude. The belief that it ain’t over until it’s over. The tempo. The pace. The passion.

I swear you could feel the heartbeat of a city.

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

I have been inside Anfield when they are singing You’ll Never Walk Alone.

I have stood beside those Liverpudlians when 50,000 of them are being a Gerry And The Pacemakers tribute band.

And hearing them sing You’ll Never Walk Alone live is one of the wonders of the world.

Once — overcome with excitement — I even joined in their singing (a cause of great mirth to my Scouse mate, who insists you can’t sing You’ll Never Walk Alone in an Essex accent).

Liverpool is a special place. Scousers are special people.

In my experience, they are the most loyal and loving of friends and the fiercest and most implacable of enemies.

Look at the way they changed their minds about Luis Suarez, former buck-toothed darling of the Kop and pantomime villain on Tuesday night when he embodied the hubris of Barcelona.

So cocky were Barcelona, so totally convinced that they were going to walk all over Liverpool, that Suarez promised that he would not celebrate in front of the Kop.

YOU GOT THAT ONE RIGHT, GOOFY!

Barcelona were too dismissive of Liverpool — the team, the ground, the people.

The greatest team in the world? Well, maybe. But Barcelona underestimated the resilience of a proud working-class city.

The best of Liverpool and its people came together in 90 glorious, life-affirming minutes on Tuesday night. And Barcelona could not cope. Nobody could.

At its most dramatic, sport can tell us something worth knowing about life.

That was why grown men wept openly at Anfield.

Never give up, Liverpool seemed to say. Never give in. While there is still hope, you must believe. Never stop fighting. For you are loved.

And, as that beautiful old song has it, hold your head up high.

Luis Suarez's return to Anfield turned into a nightmare Getty - Contributor

Liverpool's win was a truly emotional night Getty - Contributor

Liverpool's players could barely believe their victory

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9053003/liverpool-champions-league-win-barcelona-tony-parsons/

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
More great footballing drama on the final day of the season. In order for Liverpool to win the English league title for the first time since 1990, they have to beat Wolves and have Manchester City draw or lose against Brighton & Hove Albion. Liverpool are currently leading Wolves 1-0 and Manchester City came from 1-0 down and are now leading 2-1. As things stand, Manchester City will win the title by just one point.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Poor Liverpool. They've just gone 2-0 up against Wolverhampton Wanderers knowing that if they win and Manchester City fail to beat Brighton & Hove Albion they win the title for the first time since 1990 - and then they find City have just gone 4-1 up.

So that's it. Manchester City are about to be crowned English champions for the fourth time in seven years.

Liverpool suffer just one defeat all season, get a whopping 97 points and still can't end their long wait for another title. That one defeat they suffered? Against Manchester City in January.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
FA Cup Final and Eurovision Song Contest Day! Have the match - Manchester City vs Watford - on whilst I do some housework and then chill out for a few hours of late night cheesy Europop with a bottle (or two) of wine and some nice nibbles.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The BBC is getting all excited by the Women's World Cup. It keeps showing jazzy new trailers for the upcoming tournament, with rap music and women chanting and stern-faced bints in pigtails and ponytails kicking balls (which are on fire, for some reason) into nets.

Someone needs to tell the virtue-signalling Beeb that women's football is a joke. It's crap. And the best women's football teams are routinely beaten by schoolboy teams. And that's no joke.

In 2016, the Australian women’s national team - then ranked fifth in the world - were beaten 7–0 by the Newcastle Jets under-15 boys. In 2017, the USA suffered a similar fate - 5-2 down - against FC Dallas’s U15 boys.

So, please, BBC. No more mention of the Women's World Cup.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The all-English Europa League final is tonight, between Arsenal and Chelsea, and is being played 2,500 miles away in Baku.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Leicester City have destroyed Southampton 9-0 to overtake Manchester City and go into second place behind Liverpool.

Surely they aren't going to repeat the miracle of 2016, are they?

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A bizarre match in the Carabao Cup tonight which went to a penalty shootout which had less goals than in the 90 minutes.

Liverpool 5-5 Arsenal

Arsenal won 3-2 on penalties