The Bible on Environmental Conservation: A 21st Century Prescription

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
"AbstractIt may come as a surprise to some, but the Bible has a great deal to say about the environment and its conservation some 20 centuries since it was written. Perhaps among the most surprised will be Bible-toting church goers who may have never heard a sermon related to the "environmental crisis" which has become such a concern to so many around the world. This lack of attention by Christians is especially perplexing since many of our environmental problems are rooted in the Christian faith, according to some scholars. However, by examining the doctrine of Christianity, the basic text of the faith, the Bible, we find an entirely different message. The purpose of this discussion is to present the entire portion of Scripture which relates to environmental principles whereby we may develop a Bible-based, 21st Century prescription of environmental conservation. Some 2,463 verses have been topically organized into nine sections. Four appendices present the full-text of this collection in addition to selected hymns, which have been instrumental in teaching the truths of Scripture over the years. This compilation of verses constitutes approximately eight percent of the Bible. The Authorized Version, also known as the King James Version, was used in the preparation of this collection due its widespread distribution and influence since 1611. Based on the Bible, Christianity’s positive contribution to environmental conservation is consistent with its positive contributions to other fields such as literature, art, music, education, health, and science."
link

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
"AbstractIt may come as a surprise to some, but the Bible has a great deal to say about the environment and its conservation some 20 centuries since it was written. Perhaps among the most surprised will be Bible-toting church goers who may have never heard a sermon related to the "environmental crisis" which has become such a concern to so many around the world. This lack of attention by Ch

Sighhhh..haven't you anything of value to contribute?

Holy Mother Church is just slowly emerging from one of the greatest blows to its credibility in recent memory. We are attempting to right the wrongs committed by a few members of our "staff".

We face unprecedented growth in Africa and South-east Asia, yet we are struggling to face the financial needs of these areas.

People are dying in our streets, and many of us in the Church are almost overwhelmed with the cries of pain heard by people all around us as they struggle to survive.

And on top of all this, must we also have your voice adding to our trauma?

Won't you please consider converting to Judaism or Islam? I have some contacts if you're interested!

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Sighhhh..haven't you anything of value to contribute?

Holy Mother Church is just slowly emerging from one of the greatest blows to its credibility in recent memory. We are attempting to right the wrongs committed by a few members of our "staff".

We face unprecedented growth in Africa and South-east Asia, yet we are struggling to face the financial needs of these areas.

People are dying in our streets, and many of us in the Church are almost overwhelmed with the cries of pain heard by people all around us as they struggle to survive.

And on top of all this, must we also have your voice adding to our trauma?

Won't you please consider converting to Judaism or Islam? I have some contacts if you're interested!
Don't worry, I'm either Agnostic, or United so you don't need to worry. Or more simply I just don't care much about religion right now. I just though it might be an interesting read.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Of course you are agnostic, hence the many posts purporting to represent a religious point of view.

Weather or not I believe in a deity or not I hardly see how this precludes me from arguing from a religious perspective. The western culture and philosophy is heavily routed in Christianity and thus I think it is important to understand and learn how to reason from that perspective.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Weather or not I believe in a deity or not I hardly see how this precludes me from arguing from a religious perspective. The western culture and philosophy is heavily routed in Christianity and thus I think it is important to understand and learn how to reason from that perspective.

I've a thought for you, how about understanding and learning how to LIVE from that perspective?

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
Sanctus...I honestly mean no disrespect...I enjoy your posts and find you very intelligent and well-spoken, but I have an honest question.

You mentioned that the church doesn't have the money for expansion in Africa or Asia. I fully admit that I'm not very experienced or knowledgable in religion and catholicism...but I was under the impression that the Vatican was wealthy. Jewel-encrusted gold...whatnot. Am I a conplete retard here, or is the Vatican quite wealthy? I'm just curious, and I know that you're a priest. Like I said...meaning no disrespect to you at all, and I don't know if this question will offend or not.

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Sanctus...I honestly mean no disrespect...I enjoy your posts and find you very intelligent and well-spoken, but I have an honest question.

You mentioned that the church doesn't have the money for expansion in Africa or Asia. I fully admit that I'm not very experienced or knowledgable in religion and catholicism...but I was under the impression that the Vatican was wealthy. Jewel-encrusted gold...whatnot. Am I a conplete retard here, or is the Vatican quite wealthy? I'm just curious, and I know that you're a priest. Like I said...meaning no disrespect to you at all, and I don't know if this question will offend or not.

Does not offend me at all. Ask anything you want, here or in PM.

The missions are not funded by the Vatican, directly, but from the various societies and parishes who raise the money from their membership. Further, the parish is expected to be somewhat self-sustaining, and that is where the real problem is in terms of how poor the average African is.

While it is true that Vatican City holds many priceless artifacts and treasures collected from the inception of its history, this is not "ready cash". as it were.

I hope this answers your question.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I've a thought for you, how about understanding and learning how to LIVE from that perspective?

Don't worry, I don't have the money to party much and I don't have much of a sex drive anymore. I just don't go to church on the weekend. I have though about going before but never seem to.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
What led you to use s243a as your call name?
Just curious.

Peace>>>AJ:love9:

It was my user name at the University of New Brunswick. I was a student a big part of my life and I liked the irony of picking a name that was just another number.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Did you study environmental subjects? How about religious studies?

I studied physics at Mount Allison University and Electrical Engineering at the University of New Brunswick. That gives me two undergraduate degrees and most of a masters. I would of liked to take some electives in theology. It might have been interesting. I did take one course (philosophy) at Mount Allison on Environmental Ethics. I was one of the few in the course that favored progress over environmentalism. It was probably 9 years ago or so when I took that course. What turned me off environmentalism then was the hatred of nuclear power by environmentalists.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
I studied physics at Mount Allison University and Electrical Engineering at the University of New Brunswick. That gives me two undergraduate degrees and most of a masters. I would of liked to take some electives in theology. It might have been interesting. I did take one course (philosophy) at Mount Allison on Environmental Ethics. I was one of the few in the course that favored progress over environmentalism. It was probably 9 years ago or so when I took that course. What turned me off environmentalism then was the hatred of nuclear power by environmentalists.

Very impressive. Caring for the environment is a duty for the present but most important leaving it a better place for our kids.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Religious studies are a good time waster.

You get to learn rules that nobody follows and the kicker is that you can sin all you want and always be forgiven.

The Vatican collects wealth for God and more churches are built so they can collect more money.

Very little is given back to the people.

Every week you get to watch the priest drink the wine break the wafer and you get a piece of wafer only if you are good and you put enough money in the collection plate.

You are given a book to read about how good people are saved if they give money to the church and then you get to argue about the about different aspects of the book.

As long as you give money to the church and tell the priest of your sins then you can continue sinning because you will always be forgiven.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Very impressive. Caring for the environment is a duty for the present but most important leaving it a better place for our kids.

Thank you. :) We want to make the world a better place for our kids. Trees are nice and important but remember we live in cities. Kids need homes, and jobs.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Religious studies are a good time waster.

You get to learn rules that nobody follows and the kicker is that you can sin all you want and always be forgiven.

The Vatican collects wealth for God and more churches are built so they can collect more money.

Very little is given back to the people.

Every week you get to watch the priest drink the wine break the wafer and you get a piece of wafer only if you are good and you put enough money in the collection plate.

You are given a book to read about how good people are saved if they give money to the church and then you get to argue about the about different aspects of the book.

As long as you give money to the church and tell the priest of your sins then you can continue sinning because you will always be forgiven.

You could say the same thing about Plato's republic but a lot more people care about the words in the bible then they do about Plato's republic.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Sanctus why the hositility? I was merely trying to provoke discussion of the relationship between the church and the environment?

TomG

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2006
Here is a biblical reference in Colderidge’s The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

To walk together to the kirk,
And all together pray,
While each to his great Father bends,
Old men, and babes, and loving friends
And youths and maidens gay!

[Sidenote: And to teach, by his own example, love and reverence to all
things that God made and loveth.]

Farewell, farewell! but this I tell
To thee, thou Wedding-Guest!
He prayeth well, who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.

He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth all."

The Mariner, whose eye is bright,
Whose beard with age is hoar,
Is gone: and now the Wedding-Guest
Turned from the bridegroom's door.

He went like one that hath been stunned,
And is of sense forlorn:
A sadder and a wiser man,
He rose the morrow morn.

--From a Project Gutenberg text

If the story isn’t known; the mariner killed an albatross for no particular reason and was thereafter cursed to travel the earth for eternity seeking out those who need to hear his tale, and those who hear the story are similarly cursed.

Colderidge’s curse is for those who destroy what God loves for their own indulgences—an Albatross. Today we hear proposals to remove the overburden of areas the sizes of small states, to construct miniature inland seas of toxic water, and to take the entire flow of the Athabaska River to process tar sands. And, our various national leaders, public and private, go like those that hath been stunned, sadder perhaps, but have yet to rise to the morrow’s morn.

The link between environment/conservation is strong in Christianity and in many religions. To many Sunni, the Caliphate holds responsibility for the stewardship of the earth, and that responsibility is shared by each and every member of the community. Vishnu is the preserver, and so on. However, the link between environment/conservation and the apology for the Viking raider mentality that today we call freedom/democracy/capitalism is notably missing. Oh well, we may all yet awake some morn sadder but wiser.

Last edited:

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
While it is true that Vatican City holds many priceless artifacts and treasures collected from the inception of its history, this is not "ready cash". as it were.

I hope this answers your question.

Whilst it answers the question, assets are so easy to liquidise... nearly all religious faiths have massive amounts of 'assets' that could so easily right a lot of the wrongs of the world, in terms of poverty. I can understand, as an agnostic, how religion would want to erect monuments to their particular deity, but what is that particular deity going to do with those assets? It's obscene...