That was Fun!!!!!

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
Isn't it funny how no one ever takes a fire seriously!! The last time the fire alarm went off at my work (someone used the toaster!!) we sort of wandered around for a while, loads of people continued their phone conversations and then said 'should we be moving outside??' Didn't think there was a fire but then decided it would be best to evacuate- especially as the meeting point was at the pub across the road!!

We could have all burnt to death!!!! But instead we had a beer!!

LadyC

Time Out
Sep 3, 2004
the left coast
Don't be so sure.
I volunteer at my kids' school, and I was there one day when a little kid pulled the fire alarm. His teacher was the only one who was aware it wasn't a real fire, the other teachers only knew it wasn't a drill. I've never seen such an impressive sight - 300+ kids quietly exiting the school single-file in an orderly fashion. Even lined up in their rows out on the field you couldn't hear a sound.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
I once read that when there's a life-threatening situation, most people don't really panic. I remember certain images of 9/11, where people were actually waiting for the elevator quietly (or: semi-quietly) while not far from them, intense fires were burning. I recall that there is a certain psychological explanation for that fenomenon, but I don't remember what it was exactly.