Term 'visible minorities' may be discriminatory, UN body warns Canada

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Beats being called invisible minority which s what a lot of visibly different people used to be.

"Term 'visible minorities' may be discriminatory, UN body warns Canada ". So could the term "those people" or just plain "us". lol

Well, if you were a first nations person, and the government just kept referring to you as a 'visible minority', lumping you in with immigrants from all over the world, I can see where it could be contrued as discriminatory. Wouldn't you rather be referred to as a first nations person if that's what you are? But context has a lot to do with the appropriateness of a term too. How else is the government supposed to address the broad issue of racism, other than to say use a blanket statement to cover all minorities? It's an interesting issue.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well...why not at least think about the terms. At least someone is thinking about it, as apposed to saying "We're going to call you all YOBS whether you like it or not!". At least people are giving it thought. And the UN isn't exactly saying "The new universal law is that you DO NOT USE THIS PHRASE under penalty of having your nation severed from the planet and send spinning into space like an odd shaped frisbee!". Nooo, that isn't happening. People are merely saying, "Hey, let's look at these terms we got going here and see how they affect people. We see a cause for concern...maybe we should contemplate this a bit." Sounds okay to me!
I thought about it. IMO, it's just more silly PCness.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Should that type of description be on a census? I realize this is a UN thing and the UN is not liked but I've seen some extremely rightwing folk asking for this type of language to be removed from policies, and perhaps the first step to this would be removing reference to "visible minorites" in government databases.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Well, if you were a first nations person, and the government just kept referring to you as a 'visible minority', lumping you in with immigrants from all over the world, I can see where it could be contrued as discriminatory. Wouldn't you rather be referred to as a first nations person if that's what you are? But context has a lot to do with the appropriateness of a term too. How else is the government supposed to address the broad issue of racism, other than to say use a blanket statement to cover all minorities? It's an interesting issue.
Actually, being Irish, I'm called a mick now and then. Big deal. I've been in places where my size makes me stick out like a lone dandelion in a lawn. Limelight ain't my favorite place to be but I can get over it. Actually for that matter, anyone can call me pretty much anything they want except dishonorable, dishonest, etc. That'd bother me somewhat. But I know what I am and who I r. So, I have no alternative than to think if someone is overly sensitive to something they need to boost their self-knowledge some.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Should that type of description be on a census? I realize this is a UN thing and the UN is not liked but I've seen some extremely rightwing folk asking for this type of language to be removed from policies, and perhaps the first step to this would be removing reference to "visible minorites" in government databases.
............ and replacing it with...........?

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Something else...just because we don't have something off the top of our heads doesn't mean something can't be created. I mean, someone had to invent the term visible minorities...:)

The thing is, I think it is one thing for the guy down the street, or your buddy to use this, that or the other term...but the federal government has to approach these issues with a great deal of sensitivity. They set the tone for the nation, and if they are using unacceptable terms or terms that discriminate, or terms that sets a certain part of the population apart in a negative way, then, well...it's important that they alter their rhetoric. Whether it tranfers over to the general publics lexicon, that's another story altogether. But, if I got a tax form or something that asked for my race or background and the check box that I were to fill in said "cracker", I might be offended. So, it's good that the government and other organizations, international groups, are thinking about these things so that the most productive, useful, acceptable language is being used in an official, professional capacity.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Something else...just because we don't have something off the top of our heads doesn't mean something can't be created. I mean, someone had to invent the term visible minorities...:)

The thing is, I think it is one thing for the guy down the street, or your buddy to use this, that or the other term...but the federal government has to approach these issues with a great deal of sensitivity. They set the tone for the nation, and if they are using unacceptable terms or terms that discriminate, or terms that sets a certain part of the population apart in a negative way, then, well...it's important that they alter their rhetoric. Whether it tranfers over to the general publics lexicon, that's another story altogether. But, if I got a tax form or something that asked for my race or background and the check box that I were to fill in said "cracker", I might be offended. So, it's good that the government and other organizations, international groups, are thinking about these things so that the most productive, useful, acceptable language is being used in an official, professional capacity.
By golly. You make sense once in a while. ;)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Nothing? Oh, that'd go over well. We'd have "The Ministry Responsible for Nothing Affairs", "The Minister Responsible for the Status of Nothing", etc.
Gotcha. :D
Perhaps we don't need them.

We could have the Ministry of Silly Walks. :wave:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Yes, and it all makes possible lunatic managementl decisions like that found at the Toronto Star in a city that labels itself the multicultural capital of the world. No suspect in a crime is ever identified by race. The public is encouraged even in the most egregious cases of murder and rape to look for someone with a coat on and perhaps a hat. Now that's the embodiment of concern for public safety. Language should never be the possession of a group or organization. Let free speech and sanity rule.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Yes, and it all makes possible lunatic managementl decisions like that found at the Toronto Star in a city that labels itself the multicultural capital of the world. No suspect in a crime is ever identified by race. The public is encouraged even in the most egregious cases of murder and rape to look for someone with a coat on and perhaps a hat. Now that's the embodiment of concern for public safety. Language should never be the possession of a group or organization. Let free speech and sanity rule.
You're twisting it into something it isn't. I don't think there is a law enforcement department in North America that wouldn't warn the public what color of skin or hair or eyes a criminal has if they know.