Teachers careful how you discipline the entire class.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
A recent discussion with a young mother of two at elementary school. The entire class was being disciplined because of one child acting out. These are 7 and 8 year olds. The entire class was asked if a child had threatened any of them. Half the class raised their hands. The child was not in the room with the rest of the class at the time. The same child is sitting every other day in front of the office at the school for bad behavior. The entire class had been punished by priveleges being taken away for months becasue of the bad behavior. So the message was being sent to these kids that even though they had done nothing wrong they were still being punished.
The teacher and principal took this seriously and put a stop to this punishment of the entire class. They were singling the child out who was acting out more making the situation worse and also were giving these 7 and 8 year olds the message that well even though you sit in class and do nothing wrong you get punished as well.

The children asked if they were treated unfairly. Seven and Eight year olds have great minds to speak with. Some felt that they were in trouble for something that they did not do and did not like the teacher and were not listening to her anymore as well because of the
punishment to the entire class. The punishment to the entire class was stopped. The one still sits at the principals office. How we shape young minds at this age.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A child that acts out is usually bored senseless by having to sit through classes that are aimed at the lowest common denominator. Their intelligence is stifled to fit a curriculum that is far below their IQ.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
A child that acts out is usually bored senseless by having to sit through classes that are aimed at the lowest common denominator. Their intelligence is stifled to fit a curriculum that is far below their IQ.
His mother works full time dad is working away had to for the cost of living and family half the year he is gone. At a price is being paid more than wage he is making though.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
His mother works full time dad is working away had to for the cost of living and family half the year he is gone. At a price is being paid more than wage he is making though.
That is almost like having no father at all because their is no continuity in their relationship. Children act out for all kinds of reasons. It could be psychological, or malnutrition or bad parenting, etc. The system is not set up to deal with such problems. With cuts to education, schools have become nothing more than glorified baby sitting services and designed to produce clones for the factory. Sad but true, but when the dollar becomes the new god and the bottom line the only measure of value, people will break down to the lowest common denominator.

AnotherMother

Nominee Member
Apr 7, 2011
Earth
That is almost like having no father at all because their is no continuity in their relationship. Children act out for all kinds of reasons. It could be psychological, or malnutrition or bad parenting, etc. The system is not set up to deal with such problems. With cuts to education, schools have become nothing more than glorified baby sitting services and designed to produce clones for the factory. Sad but true, but when the dollar becomes the new god and the bottom line the only measure of value, people will break down to the lowest common denominator.
This same age group though is being affected. A young girl same age is being a bully they have had a councellor sit in and watch the child in another class because of behavior. I was a Nanny for over 35 families. I saw the ups and downs these little people went through. Parents have to be more aware. I agree the cuts to education are just plain and simple sad. The school is becoming a dumping zone babysitters for these kids with emotional needs. There are some great teachers out there. I have met some who look beyond the cuts and see what matters. Just wish those who do not see could adjust the blinders
a little. Kids are acting out more and more and at such young ages in the classroom.

This same age group though is being affected. A young girl same age is being a bully they have had a councellor sit in and watch the child in another class because of behavior. I was a Nanny for over 35 families. I saw the ups and downs these little people went through. Parents have to be more aware. I agree the cuts to education are just plain and simple sad. The school is becoming a dumping zone babysitters for these kids with emotional needs. There are some great teachers out there. I have met some who look beyond the cuts and see what matters. Just wish those who do not see could adjust the blinders
a little. Kids are acting out more and more and at such young ages in the classroom.
Cliffy did you ever get told to go stand in the corner when you went to elementary school?

we had the fear of dealing with mom and dad when we got home so know way did any of us or our friends act out in the classroom like what is being displayed today.

Taxx

Conservative
Apr 10, 2011
PEI
Group discipline doesn't work in my experience and should not be used unless other methods are first exhausted. I was in charge of kids for my job and have never had to use group punishment to keep them in line.