Tax cut timing

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Were expecting our first, and after my wife has her year off maternity leave, I Might decide to stay at home and raise the children. With two dependants on her salary, we probably won't loose much money at all. Realizing the money we save in childcare included. I’m just going to have to discuss this with the accountant before I make a decision on it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Jay said:
Were expecting our first, and after my wife has her year off maternity leave, I Might decide to stay at home and raise the children. With two dependants on her salary, we probably won't loose much money at all. Realizing the money we save in childcare included. I’m just going to have to discuss this with the accountant before I make a decision on it.

After a company I worked for closed, and before I went to university, I stayed home as full time care giver for about nine months.

TOUGH job.

Good Luck.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Good Luck."

Thanks.

"TOUGH job. "

I think I have the same syndrome some other men have....baby sh*t makes my want to throw up.....how on earth am I going to deal with that? :lol:

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Re: RE: Tax cut timing

Colpy said:
I had this same argument with my work partner last night. I don't believe it is any harder now, or at least much harder, for one parent to stay home. I just think people are less willing to make the necessary sacrifices.

:roll: That would really depend on what you make you know. $7.80 in the 80's could go much farther then than it could now. My other half and I both make around $10/hour, and we are always cutting it close. That also includes the fact we hardly spend on luxuries. Groceries, bills, rent, and other fees associated with kids is where it all goes, and nothing really is left over to save. We're just lucky our babysitter is ok with not having to be paid for one to two months or to get around 45% of what we agreed on.

Now, if one of us were to stop working to stay at home, you could bet we'll either have to rely on the help from family, foodbanks, public housing, social asstiance and screw our transportation. Sure the other could work 60-80 hours a week to make up for the difference but NOTHING would change, one of us would be indefinetly working and never see the family. On top of that nothing would be saved so you'd only have time for your family once the other starts working.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Jo Canadian said:
Colpy said:
I had this same argument with my work partner last night. I don't believe it is any harder now, or at least much harder, for one parent to stay home. I just think people are less willing to make the necessary sacrifices.

:roll: That would really depend on what you make you know. $7.80 in the 80's could go much farther then than it could now. My other half and I both make around $10/hour, and we are always cutting it close. That also includes the fact we hardly spend on luxuries. Groceries, bills, rent, and other fees associated with kids is where it all goes, and nothing really is left over to save. We're just lucky our babysitter is ok with not having to be paid for one to two months or to get around 45% of what we agreed on.

Now, if one of us were to stop working to stay at home, you could bet we'll either have to rely on the help from family, foodbanks, public housing, social asstiance and screw our transportation. Sure the other could work 60-80 hours a week to make up for the difference but NOTHING would change, one of us would be indefinetly working and never see the family. On top of that nothing would be saved so you'd only have time for your family once the other starts working.

Yeah, $10 an hour sure ain't much.

You are one of the families that could use a break. A generous increase in the Child Tax Benefit, and tax reduction might help.

The question is this.....would you rather have one person stay home, or would you rather both work and pay minimal rates for day care? The current government assumes that every parent wants to work outside the home.....and that they should......some kind of weird political correctness going on there.

I personally think the Liberal attitude towards universal day care is insanity, and the Conservatives have yet to step up to the plate and offer enough cash so the working poor have some choices. I think the CPC are on the right track, they just need to cough up some real cash.

You are walking a tough road.....good luck.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Jay said:
"Good Luck."

Thanks.

"TOUGH job. "

I think I have the same syndrome some other men have....baby sh*t makes my want to throw up.....how on earth am I going to deal with that? :lol:

Funny. It never bothered me with my own kids.

Now I have a new grandson.

Phew! (gag)

Strange.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
The question is this.....would you rather have one person stay home, or would you rather both work and pay minimal rates for day care? The current government assumes that every parent wants to work outside the home.....and that they should......some kind of weird political correctness going on there.

We would continue working IF we could pay minimal rates for Daycare and save some money in return. Even now we're getting a very good break with the babysitter, but still have problems paying her regularly. It's not that the Gov't assumes that we all want to work outside the home, reality dictates is that most people HAVE to work. Especially if they need to meet basic needs without having to rely on Social assistance. $10 soesn't seem like much but where we are it's right in the middle. There are many more families that have to make less.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
And if the province you live in wants to run a provincial wide day care program, that is their business. It is not the business of the federal government.

Quebec being the prime example of how this would work.

Just like Duceppe said in the last election, "why would we give the tax money to Ottawa so they can redirect it to Quebec? (I know why...does anyone else?)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The current government assumes that every parent wants to work outside the home.....and that they should......some kind of weird political correctness going on there.

Since there is nothing forcing you to put your children into childcare, nothing is being forced at all.

You are one of the families that could use a break. A generous increase in the Child Tax Benefit, and tax reduction might help.

Ah, so tax breaks should go to low and medium wage earners instead of corporations and rich people.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The poor aren't paying any real taxes anyways....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Reverend Blair said:
The current government assumes that every parent wants to work outside the home.....and that they should......some kind of weird political correctness going on there.

Since there is nothing forcing you to put your children into childcare, nothing is being forced at all.

Ah, so tax breaks should go to low and medium wage earners instead of corporations and rich people.

ABSOLUTELY tax breaks should go to low and medium wage earners.

Not only that, there should be government pay outs to low income families for child care.

I am also no fan of corporate tax cuts. However, they may be necessary to keep corporations viable and competitive. I am no economist, and, to be frank, I don't trust EITHER the Libs or the CPC in this case.

Perhaps they should get their tax cuts, and loose all corporate welfare. I mean make it illegal for government to hand out cash to corporations.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Does anyone realize the amount of taxes rich people pay?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I didn't say poor though, did I Jay?

I said low and medium wage earners. That's most of the tax base.

ABSOLUTELY tax breaks should go to low and medium wage earners.

So why are you backing a party that puts tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy first?

Not only that, there should be government pay outs to low income families for child care.

Historically it is programs exactly like that that are cut by Conservative governments.

Perhaps they should get their tax cuts, and loose all corporate welfare. I mean make it illegal for government to hand out cash to corporations.

So will you voting for the NDP or the CAP then, Colpy?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Reverend Blair said:

I didn't say poor though, did I Jay?

I said low and medium wage earners. That's most of the tax base.

I interpret "low wage earners" as poor people.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
They may be semi-retired, working part-time because they choose to, or they may be members of the working poor. The point is that we tax income in this country and it's supposed to be progressive. Conservative governments have shifted the tax burden form those who earn the most to those that earn the least over the years.

They have also increased the number of low-wage, no benefit workers while decreasing the number of high-wage workers. At the same time they've done that, the percentage of the earnings that go to the wealthy has increased while the percentage that goes to everybody else has decreased.

Basically, conservative governments have helped corporations to pay workers less while taxing them more. That conservative governments still have the gall to bitch about taxation is hilarious.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
And the Liberals have done the exact same thing for how long now Rev.Chhhhrist the more i read the more I think your on the Liberano team 8O I thought you were a diehard NDPer :? How come you speak so highly of the thieves running the country right now :?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Look at the Liberal policies...the ones they enact, not the ones they run on...and tell me that they aren't conservatives, Momsie. They are progressive conservatives, much like Mulroney except he was better on environmental issues, but they are still conservatives.

That being said, they are far better than the radical conservatives in Harper's party. Liberals can even be worked with if they are in a minority situation.