Swarming

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
He asked what made it aggravate assault over a minor assault. That is the answer shithead.
Anything else you need help in grasping?
Yep, I got it. Thanks.

Down this way, assault or assault and battery is a "misdemeanor," defined as a crime carrying a maximum punishment of one year or less in prison. Aggravated assault generally involves a weapon, a group of attackers, deliberately maximizing damage (called "assault with intent to maim" in some states), or a particularly helpless victim, like a young child or a severely disabled person.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Whether these idiots stand in Provincial Court Summary conviction of 2yrs less a day or less in jail or Indictable Conviction in Court of Queens Bench for possible 2yrs+ in prison remains to be seen.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Whether these idiots stand in Provincial Court Summary conviction of 2yrs less a day or less in jail or Indictable Conviction in Court of Queens Bench for possible 2yrs+ in prison remains to be seen.
Of course. I'm going to assume until told otherwise that your Crown, like our prosecutors, have considerable discretion in what to charge.

Do you have plea bargaining? Where the Crown says "if you'll plead guilty to a lesser charge, we'll forgo hitting you with the greater charge"?

I ask because some systems, especially France, don't have it. The French lawyers I've spoken to considered it immoral and shocking.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Of course. I'm going to assume until told otherwise that your Crown, like our prosecutors, have considerable discretion in what to charge.
Do you have plea bargaining? Where the Crown says "if you'll plead guilty to a lesser charge, we'll forgo hitting you with the greater charge"?
I ask because some systems, especially France, don't have it. The French lawyers I've spoken to considered it immoral and shocking.

Yes, we have plea bargaining, and yes, crown has sole discretion to lay charges or not. Police have no say. All they can do is recomend to crown when they supply crown with the evidence.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This appears to be the key language:

Aggravated assault

268 (1) Every one commits an aggravated assault who wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant.

I see it as entirely possible you and petros are both right. I can very easily see a court ruling that multiple attackers, as a matter of law, "endangers the life" of the victim, even when, as here according to the report, no life-threatening injury was sustained.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Applicable law you quoted above. No mention of multiple perps as being a reason for the offence.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-46/page-57.html#docCont
What dont you understand? The judge's ruling that set the standard? Or that Clayton's lawyer was bucking for Section 267 but got hit with 268 because he was part of the group that hemmed the victim in making it Aggravated or the judge declaring subsection 21.1 meaningless in this case?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This appears to be the key language:
Aggravated assault
268 (1) Every one commits an aggravated assault who wounds, maims, disfigures or endangers the life of the complainant.
I see it as entirely possible you and petros are both right. I can very easily see a court ruling that multiple attackers, as a matter of law, "endangers the life" of the victim, even when, as here according to the report, no life-threatening injury was sustained.
That is in the case I referenced.

An example of what makes it an aggravated assault.
R. v. McQuaid,[23] while it was not required to base culpability on subsection 21(1), the trial judge explicitly stated that he would have done so if necessary, writing,
While I am convinced beyond a reasonable doubt as to the guilt of these 6 accused on all counts based on the testimony of their accomplice, Danny Clayton, were it necessary, I would also be prepared to say that each of the accused and Danny Clayton were parties to the aggravated assault of Darren Watts as charged on the Indictment, within the meaning of s. 21(1). I am satisfied the men in the circle were all there for the same reasons: to kick or beat Darren Watts; or help in administering the beating; or encourage it; or stand -- as observed by others -- shoulder to shoulder so as to form a circle thereby ensnaring Darren Watts and preventing him from getting away or stopping others from coming to his rescue.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What dont you understand? The judge's ruling that set the standard? Or that Clayton's lawyer was bucking for Section 267 but got hit with 268 because he was part of the group that hemmed the victim in making it Aggravated or the judge declaring subsection 21.1 meaningless in this case?

How about you supply a link

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That is in the case I referenced.
Yes, I understood, and thanked you for that.

I'm just trying to point out that the pair of you are fighting over the subtle difference between zero and nothing.

I mean, if you're just measuring dicks, have at it. But gerryh is correct in the strict language of the statute, and you are correct that judges can, and do, interpret that language.

I'm not sure about the "as a matter of law" part in the case you cite. "As a matter of law" in this sense means "done and dusted," you don't need to prove that in THIS CASE, multiple attackers "endangered the life" of the victim, but rather that in all cases where there are multiple attackers, it is conclusively presumed in every case that they "endangered the life" of the victim.