Stop donating canned goods to food banks

avro20

Time Out
Dec 1, 2017
We donate directly to poor families at the school my kids go to.... right to the doorstep.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
We donate directly to poor families at the school my kids go to.... right to the doorstep.

You have kids? **** I thought you were no older than about 14

Nobody booted off a forum as many times as you have and keeps returning in a sissy fit, should be in charge of any kids..

Takes a certain level of maturity to raise a child to be normal in society

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Last week I posted this. In a nutshell, having community organizations or charities buying what they need is better than donating food. It's more than just food or buying a gift for a child in need.

Donations are important, but organizations that do this 365 days a year are more in tune with what's needed. Cash gives them the opportunity to maximize their buying power. This includes getting the right things that are needed in your local community.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/members-lounge/155270-there-month-until-christmas.html

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Not what our local food bank is saying.But not just canned goods. ANything non perishable is good. SO me farm produce is accepted as well. Pet food too. Next weekend all the fire departments in the area are doing our annual food drive.

SO our volunteer fire department area of about 4000 residents raised 2830 pounds of food and $1400 for the food bank. Ro go along with this the Lions club I belong to gives about $3000 a year to the food bank and about the same amount to the local elementary school for the lunch program.

OpposingDigit

Electoral Member
Aug 27, 2017
In 1998, I had the need to visit food banks. (I was 50 years old)

One day I lucked out and was given some chocolate candy. It tasted so great. I never forgot it.

There was always lots of cans of chick peas and lima beans, but not much else in any quantity.

I could of used a few pots and pans and maybe some eating utensils.

Thank God for food banks, or I would of chosen jail instead.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
In 1998, I had the need to visit food banks. (I was 50 years old)

One day I lucked out and was given some chocolate candy. It tasted so great. I never forgot it.

There was always lots of cans of chick peas and lima beans, but not much else in any quantity.

I could of used a few pots and pans and maybe some eating utensils.

Thank God for food banks, or I would of chosen jail instead.

Yes, food banks are good for communities. Your need for some pots, pans and eating utensils demonstrates why agencies would prefer cash not canned goods. They work with local social agencies to help ease the burden year round.

DonnaEdita

Oct 5, 2020
Paraguay
Food & Drink: Market for expired goods

Food & Drink & ...

There used to be a market for expired goods near Dostoevsky town, featuring all manner of canned, bottled and open goods such as smoked or dried meats.
A dried pig's head handing on a string comes to mind. Maybe if you boil it good you could offer it to a dog ...
It is an unofficial market existing by finding places nobody pays attention to and setting out tables.
These could be hazardous to your health, stick to legal groceries and stay alive

As the Dostoevsky area has been largely renovated the expired market is said to be near the Ladoshkaya metro now. We don't recommend looking for it.

Avoid any food from the market. Many things look like they were pulled out of dumpsters behinds stores, others are said to be from customs spoils.

Most foods are dated in Russia and it is a good practice even in bigger grocery stores to check the dates. Shop managers do not seem too eager to pull post dated items from the shelf.

Pay Very little, if it seems too cheap -- it is...