Soups and Chowders

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
"Sounds interesting Yukon. Let's see the recipe. I'm always willing to learn."

Juan, I have never followed a recipe in my life. I take recipes as GUIDELINES, and I make my own arbitrary changes to them. I would like to think that I make tasty (at least my family and guests think so) dishes by the same method my grandmother and mother always did: taste and feelings.

I found that the only time you MUST follow a recipe to the letter is baking. That is why all my efforts in the oven turned out to be dismal failures.

On stove-top, though, I think I am not too bad.

So, for recipe the best I can do is like my OBAMA soup.

Okay then....Let's see what you have. You said more eggs and less milk...Roughly how much of each?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Tonight....

Simple butternut squash soup.

1 butternut squash, peeled, cored and cubed
8 carrots, sliced into coins
1/4 onion
1L carton chicken stock
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tbs olive oil
pepper and salt to taste

add garlic, onion, oil, and spices to a soup pot. caramelize. Add vegetables. Fry until slightly browned, then add a bit of chicken stock to steam. Once steamed enough, mash vegetables to desired consistency or process in blender to smooth, add remaining chicken stock, bring to temperature, and serve.

Serves 4 large portions.

Prep to bowl took apprx half hour, with me on the internet and reading a book while the veggies cooked down. Easy peasy meal that the kids are devouring.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
Corn Chowder with potatoes and bacon

I've been making the same recipe for years we call it Huron soup,about the only difference is i add a tbs of dried Basil.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
perhaps I will have to attempt dumplings soon. I suspect that a lot of dumplings get cooked 'incorrectly' though. lol.

My mom made perfect dumplings, laid them gently on top of the stew, lid off for
part of the time, lid on to finish.(She didn't make little ones,) they were quite a
generous serving each, about the size of a nice biscuit, and when they were done, they completely covered the stew, but stayed in their own shapes.
Light and fluffy, and just moist enough. Never doughy or sticky, if that is the
result, better get back to the drawing board.;-)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol I guess my Mum never figured out how to make dumplings then.

jambo101

Electoral Member
Sep 18, 2009
Montreal
My mom always put dumplings in her stews,there must be something i'm not doing right as i follow her recipe but while her dumplings turn out perfect mine turn out soggy and are prone to falling apart.:-?what am i doing wrong?
I'm using Juan's exact ingredients,shape into a ball about the size of a medium tomato,drop into simmering pot of stew, cover for 20 minutes et voila Jim's soggy dumplings.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My mom always put dumplings in her stews,there must be something i'm not doing right as i follow her recipe but while her dumplings turn out perfect mine turn out soggy and are prone to falling apart.:-?what am i doing wrong?
I'm using Juan's exact ingredients,shape into a ball about the size of a medium tomato,drop into simmering pot of stew, cover for 20 minutes et voila Jim's soggy dumplings.

Don't cover for the first half of the time, only the last 10 minutes or so.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I'm going to be making a potato bacon chowder this weekend... anyone have a fave recipe for that?

I usually make huge batches so I can freeze some. I'll start out with a Knorr potato soup mix for my base, then add however many potatoes I want, sometimes I'll add some julienned carrots, or corn... if I don't have bacon, I've used diced ham or smokies (both work well). I've found adding whipping cream near the end of the cooking time is a nice touch too - makes it very rich with just a hint of sweetness... MMMmmmmm can't wait!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm going to be making a potato bacon chowder this weekend... anyone have a fave recipe for that?

I usually make huge batches so I can freeze some. I'll start out with a Knorr potato soup mix for my base, then add however many potatoes I want, sometimes I'll add some julienned carrots, or corn... if I don't have bacon, I've used diced ham or smokies (both work well). I've found adding whipping cream near the end of the cooking time is a nice touch too - makes it very rich with just a hint of sweetness... MMMmmmmm can't wait!

Why do you use Knorr when it sounds like your chowder would be perfect without it? (just askin' ;-))

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Jenn uses a chicken broth as a base and thickens it with cream cheese and half and half. potatoes of course, onions, bacon........ and then sometimes throws clams in to make it into a clam chowder. ;)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Jenn uses a chicken broth as a base and thickens it with cream cheese and half and half. potatoes of course, onions, bacon........ and then sometimes throws clams in to make it into a clam chowder. ;)

Sooooo... is that what she's making if we show up for supper one night? Hmmm? :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Here is one way to make potato and bacon chowder.

You'll need:
Three or four cups chicken stock..you can substitute 3 cans of Cambell's chicken broth and two cans of water
three or four large potatoes peeled and diced
small onion finely chopped
a couple green onions finely sliced
8 or 10 rashers bacon
one medium carrot coarsely grated
one cup half and half
two or three large bay leaves
A roux of two tablespoons of butter and a quarter cup of flour

Fry bacon until almost crisp, chop into half inch pieces
Saute chopped onion in bacon fat
throw bacon and sauted onion into suitably large pot with a lid and add everything but the green onion and the half and half, and the roux
Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for one hour.
Remove bay leaves, Thicken chowder with the roux** and add the half and half. Don't boil. Add pepper to taste. Pour into large serving bowls and sprinkle the finely sliced green onions on top.

**Don't make it any thicker than you want it. You don't have to use all of the roux.

Enjoy...

Last edited:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Tonight....

Simple butternut squash soup.

1 butternut squash, peeled, cored and cubed
8 carrots, sliced into coins
1/4 onion
1L carton chicken stock
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tbs olive oil
pepper and salt to taste

add garlic, onion, oil, and spices to a soup pot. caramelize. Add vegetables. Fry until slightly browned, then add a bit of chicken stock to steam. Once steamed enough, mash vegetables to desired consistency or process in blender to smooth, add remaining chicken stock, bring to temperature, and serve.

Serves 4 large portions.

Prep to bowl took apprx half hour, with me on the internet and reading a book while the veggies cooked down. Easy peasy meal that the kids are devouring.

I would assume acorn squash will work as well??