Somebody Please Help The Blonde

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I want to tape a dvd onto a vhs tape. Im attaching my set up and how its sitting. I cant make it work. Am I missing any wires? The DVD played doesnt work without the RF Modulator. Im getting fustrated.

Attachments

• tv setup.jpg
    tv setup.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 22

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Would that be a movie DVD? You could be running into copy protection. The guy to ask would be Durka Durka.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
You need to have a cable going to the VCR from your modulator thingy, I guess the box beside the DVD. The VCR should have an input that says cable in or antenna in, then you can put the VCR on channel 3 or 4 to see what is on the DVD,:wave: Good luck.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
You need to have a cable going to the VCR from your modulator thingy, I guess the box beside the DVD. The VCR should have an input that says cable in or antenna in, then you can put the VCR on channel 3 or 4 to see what is on the DVD,:wave: Good luck.

The DVD works. Im trying to run a DVD and tape it on a vhs tape. lol I prolly need another cord. I'll run over to staples tomorrow.

Daemoen

Mar 6, 2007
Self:
Right now, looking at your image, you are not connecting to the vcr. Your RCA cables go from your DVD - > modulator, from your modulator it looks like youre feeding -> tv. But I cant see any cables going to the VCR itself from that picture.

A typical working setup would be:

On DVD using RCA (RWY tipped cables)
RWY OUT -> Modulator IN of same color, Modulator OUT to VCR IN same thing.

Now, I did notice that your VCR is monoral (means it only recieves single audio channel, usually LEFT) instead of stereo (dual channel, Left and Right). If you want the full quality, when you go from the Modulator OUT, use the COAX connection (thats the one that is silver and screws on :) ).

If you are willing, take a bigger picture of each of the items back sides individually, and I am sure myself or someone else can tell you exactly what you need.

Now, the other thing to consider is that you may run into data encryption causing problems when you go to record it. I dont know what type of dvd you are recording, so couldnt tell you until after you have the setup configured first :).

Daemoen

Mar 6, 2007
You may run into a problem depending on what type of DVD player you have.

DVDs are region encoded for specific areas of the world. You might first want to verify that your player will read it ;). I don't know if you have already tested that. Even if the dvd works in one device doesnt mean it will in another in this case. All depends on the device itself and the encoding on the disc. Lets verify your dvd player can read the encoding and go from there

* gets an interesting idea * Or better yet, do you have a DVD writer? I know darned well im going to get flamed the hell out of for this, but if you do, I can also show you how to remove that region encoding, and burn the dvd region free (so it works in ANY dvd player)..... which would also make it possible to copy the dvd for your group. :)

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Hows this?

And to clear up any legal or site offencable problems I have some self help and history channel and pbs shows I want to sent over seas to a few friends. The disk is encoded for all world regions

Attachments

• dvd.JPG
    dvd.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 5
  • modulatotor.JPG
    modulatotor.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 5
  • vcr.JPG
    vcr.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 5

Daemoen

Mar 6, 2007
Ok, here is the setup you will need, and what it will require.

1 Pair RCA cables.
2 Coax Cables

DVD Out to modulator IN- Use the rca cables, you already have this
Modulator out to VCR IN - Use coax cable #1
VCR out to TV IN - Use coax cable #2

Now I do realize that you have your vcr connected to the tv already. so that part is fine :). Now just do the cable between the modulator and vcr itself and youre golden. Also if you have cable/satellite, you can add that to the chain as well so you dont have to do device swapping. If you need further description/help, let me know.

Reactions: selfactivated

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Daemoen gave you some pretty sounds advice, not much I could add to it. I take it your TV doesn't have native RCA inputs?

Daemoen

Mar 6, 2007
She mentioned that her setup is all older, and from the brief view I could get of it, im betting its a single rca connection. The only device I see thats got moderately new component standards is the DVD player. VCR is mono, TV is most likely single input rca with select for cable or antenna for channel programming, etc.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
PERFECT! I just need a coax cable ;)

Yeah the TV was 20 bucks and the VHS was 10 The DVD was a gift LOL I dont have cable I get 3 stations (4 when Im lucky) But I was gifted some really great History Chanel shows I want to pass on.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
She mentioned that her setup is all older, and from the brief view I could get of it, im betting its a single rca connection. The only device I see thats got moderately new component standards is the DVD player. VCR is mono, TV is most likely single input rca with select for cable or antenna for channel programming, etc.

Your my new best friend LOL Im really not all that dumb, I knew it had to stairstep one into the other, I just could not for the life of me see it in my head how.

Last edited: