Soldier Handcuffed for Resisting Off Duty Officer's Advances

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
South Carolina? Par for the course. Even after all that his boss tried to stick up for him according to the article:

Sheriff Leon Lott initially backed Derrick — disagreeing with Columbia Police — saying that he had authority to make an arrest, suggesting that Ball was “resisting.” ... After a week of pressure and reasoning, Sheriff Lott placed Derrick on leave without pay, according to WISTV.
And people doubt that America is becoming a police state? What would the result have been if there were no witnesses with a camera? The young woman would be in jail and probably facing prison for resisting arrest. In fact it would have been much worse without witnesses. What we see here is an example of the US police mentality. The local judge, elected of course as most US judges are, would have sent her away.

The article says:

Fortunately everyone made it out of the tense situation alive, and Derrick did not go further with trying to abduct the woman. But what should be done when officers attack? Capturing cell phone video is good for evidence, but at what point is it necessary and justified to physically intervene with an “assault and battery” in progress, assuming the assailant is an armed and dangerous government agent?
Not the land of the free any more. When you look at the American South, it has always been a cruel place not to be part of the "in" culture. The word "******" is still in regular public use.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I don't think I would have even spoken to him until after he was on the ground needing dental surgery and maybe a cast or two. Then I only would have told him he was under citizens arrest for assault and attempted kidnapping. There is no reason an off duty cop has to be getting his gun and handcuffs from his car while intoxicated. I hope they give him the maximum possible sentence and send him to gen-pop with his badge around his neck.

Cops today do not understand 'serve and protect'. They are trained to be aggressive and violent from the beginning and think their badge will protect them from prosecution, which most of the time it does. What we need is for prosecutors and judges to be setting a standard of nailing overzealous and violent cops to the wall.