So. . .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Good question, no idea, and I’m assuming others here are much much more qualified to answer.
True story, bro. In service I knew a couple named Brian and Cindy Christ, pronounced "Krist," rhyming with "wrist."

I told 'em if they had a son, they should name him "Jesus," pronounced as in Spanish: "Hay-SOOS."

He'd have a lifetime of "Wait. . . your NAME is Jesus Christ?" "No, my name is Hay-SOOS Krist." Probably be doing hard time before he turned 20.

TheShadow

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2020
Grand Bend
I should point out that back then many people did not have last names.

Hence you had people called "son" added on to the name.

So if a person was named "Hender" for example then their kind would often be called "Henderson" as he was the son of Hender.

Many names you see with the "son" on the end are the result of this.

As time goes by you have a first name added to include them with the family so someone who was the son or grandson of Hender would maybe be known and Ben Henderson etc.

Of course all this happens over lifetimes.

If really wasn't until the last few hundred years that middle names for the common folk became, well, common.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
OK, OK. . . I'll start using "ParentFUCKER!" Happy?
Sounds rather colonial.
Which reminds me of a good one locally. One of Vancouver's wingnut woke councillors demanded that the mayor repent for his colonial ancestor's past. Trouble is, the mayor is Chinese and was born in Hong Kong.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Sounds rather colonial.
Which reminds me of a good one locally. One of Vancouver's wingnut woke councillors demanded that the mayor repent for his colonial ancestor's past. Trouble is, the mayor is Chinese and was born in Hong Kong.
I frequently wonder how all those woke "you stole this land from the natives" twats justify their remaining here as occupying colonizers? I mean if they feel that bad about it why are they still here? And more importantly, why do they support ever increasing immigration? Just means more occupiers and colonizers on this "stolen" land.

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I frequently wonder how all those woke "you stole this land from the natives" twats justify their remaining here as occupying colonizers? I mean if they feel that bad about it why are they still here? And more importantly, why do they support ever increasing immigration? Just means more occupiers and colonizers on this "stolen" land.

No, you don't frequently wonder, because you honestly don't give a damn.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Probably because your basic attitude is "Fuck 'em." And so the idea of exploring ways to undo some of the damage the colonizers did, and maybe even asking the descendants of the victims what they want, never occurs to you. You engage in the classic false dichotomy of restoration/doing nothing, claiming that since it's impossible to reset the world to the way it was in 1491 (or whatever date you pick as the start of the European invasion), there's no reason to do anything at all to try to live with FNs or accommodate their cultural outlook. Obviously flawed. It's your own culture, in the law, that says "Money cannot restore (whatever), but it is the only tool we have to make up for the damage caused." That's what Anglo-Canadian-American law says when Corporation A harms Corporation B, or when Person X harms Person Y. But, just as the liable person or corporation's lawyer loves to say "That won't undo the damage," usually leaving unspoken the next part, "so my client should get away with what they've done."

Reactions: Serryah

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Probably because your basic attitude is "Fuck 'em." And so the idea of exploring ways to undo some of the damage the colonizers did, and maybe even asking the descendants of the victims what they want, never occurs to you.
Wow dude that was your takeaway? Pointing out leftard hypocrisy really gets you fucking riled up, don't it. So in your mind a bunch of occupying colonizers whining about colonialism and occupation are undoing some of the damage they did by remaining here and insisting on ever higher immigration numbers to occupy and colonize Canada even more. Sounds legit. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Serryah and petros