So Stephane Dion is 50% Canadian

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There are plenty of reasons Canadians study abroad. We have some great institutions here no doubt, but we don't have the best schools for every discipline. Especially for highly specialized degrees like a Ph.D. I've been at two different universities now, technically my current school is a university, but the board decided to keep it named Nova Scotia Agricultural College for historical reasons. Anyways, many of my professors over the years have had a diverse list of the Institutions they attended. Most recieved their bachelors and masters degrees here in Canada, but most of them recieved their Ph.D. outside of the country. Regardless, he recieved his first two degrees here in Canada and only studied outside of the country for his Ph.D.

Just look into his background for proof of his good work in this country. That's really the issue isn't it?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There are plenty of reasons Canadians study abroad. We have some great institutions here no doubt, but we don't have the best schools for every discipline. Especially for highly specialized degrees like a Ph.D. I've been at two different universities now, technically my current school is a university, but the board decided to keep it named Nova Scotia Agricultural College for historical reasons. Anyways, many of my professors over the years have had a diverse list of the Institutions they attended. Most recieved their bachelors and masters degrees here in Canada, but most of them recieved their Ph.D. outside of the country. Regardless, he recieved his first two degrees here in Canada and only studied outside of the country for his Ph.D.

Just look into his background for proof of his good work in this country. That's really the issue isn't it?
So why all the squeeling about Harpers "hidden agenda" based on nothing? Yet this man has no "hidden agenda" yet he arrogantly dimisses the media when they question him on it. Hmmmmmm, I think I smell a hidden agenda here.
It's this double standard people like you put forth as crytical thought that is the real issue here.
Like I said a few posts back, "part of the problem".

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Huh? I'd like to know where I ever accused Harper of a hidden agenda, I have criticized some of his moves, and praised others. And further, look in this thread, like page two to see where I commented on the hypothetical situation of Harper were he a dual citizen. My critical thought isn't malfunctioning. I'm thinking critically of why someone would accuse a Canadian of not acting in this countries best interests, especially when this man has shown no such precedent and I by no means have been hypocritical in regards to this applying to Liberals. I hate what the previous greedy Liberal party did as much as anything. However, I'm not going to colour them all with the same brush, that wouldn't be very good critical thought.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Huh? I'd like to know where I ever accused Harper of a hidden agenda, I have criticized some of his moves, and praised others. And further, look in this thread, like page two to see where I commented on the hypothetical situation of Harper were he a dual citizen. My critical thought isn't malfunctioning. I'm thinking critically of why someone would accuse a Canadian of not acting in this countries best interests, especially when this man has shown no such precedent and I by no means have been hypocritical in regards to this applying to Liberals. I hate what the previous greedy Liberal party did as much as anything. However, I'm not going to colour them all with the same brush, that wouldn't be very good critical thought.
Whatever, it was a general remark.

But after reading what you posted in the thread on the wishes of the majority and your commenrtary here. I see you as the problem with this country.

To many people like you wishy washying around, ready to bend the will and need of the majority for the wants of the few.

I do not doubt your critical thought or your intellect, you are very well educated, that is easy to see in your posts. But all politicians have cards up their sleaves. This guys got the mother of all trump cards up his.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I'm the problem with this country...well that's the first time I've heard that. I would think the problem is how issues get polarized and people can't seem to empathize with anyone elses views, but that's me.

Could you provide me with the basis for my wishy-washiness, maybe if you show me how I'm more like a laundry machine I can call the Maytag man to fix me up.

Hamlet

Aug 25, 2006
Utah
I've got a few thoughts about this whole issue (or as I see it, a "non-issue"). First off, what's the big deal of having more than one citizenship? If you have only one, you don't know what your missing!

But seriously, the first 5 Prime Ministers were born outside Canada. Do you think that no one born in Canada at that time was qualified to be P.M.? Or for a more recent leader, how about John Turner? He was born in England, but it wasn't an issue. He never gave up his U.K. citizenship. Numerous members of parliment have had (or currently sitting) have dual citizenship.

I think Dion should NOT give up his French citizenship. It would set a poor precedent and only gives into some kind of zenophobic hysteria. If people question his loyalties, then they shouldn't vote him party leader, or vote for his party. How's that for a solution?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
The qestion I have to those thinking a PM should not hold dual citizenship is do they also desire the removal of a foreign head of state (the queen)?

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
You know what I love about the Conservative supporters? They still complain that they get a raw deal from every aspect of the entire planet, even when they are in the top spot of power in this country. If it's not one group or corporation or political party holding a bias against them, it's the gullibility of the people to believe "13 years of Liberal lies" - those same people who shamefully voted the Cons in.

To those in this thread promoting this: get over it, it's tiresome - every single post is just a rhetorical "Liberals are this and that", and often has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion - it's baseless bashing, and it makes you look less intelligent when you bandy about how it's "Conservatives versus the world." People didn't elect the Conservatives so they could constantly proclaim that "at least they're not the Liberals" and "it doesn't matter what we do, because the Liberals were worse, so there." They were elected to make changes and clean up Ottawa, and in that regards, they've failed through inaction. Secondly, they were elected to punish the Liberals, and now they have done that.

Luckily for people like me, people are tired of this now very boring act, and a change is afoot.
Time to watch the big red machine warm up...

And CDNBear, the last time I checked there were three national left-wing leaning parties in this country, who hold the majority of parlimentary seats and the (ever-increasing) majority of popular support, so I fail to see how those who support it and its policies are "bend[ing] the will and need of the majority for the wants of the few." Perhaps (or more likely) the opposite is true. I don't know Tonington or his political affiliation, and frankly, I don't care. What I do see is that he is trying to articulate an argument intelligently and with logic and reason, and you're merely hurtling personal insults and launching into a smear campaign, and it looks very bad on you and the views you promote.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion said he would renounce his French citizenship, albeit reluctantly, if it becomes an impediment in his quest to become prime minister.
"If it's a problem for a significant number of Canadians and if it's a liability that may keep Mr. Harper in power and prevent us … [from bringing] together, more than any other country in the world, economic prosperity, social justice, environmental sustainability, then I will do this sad thing then, to renounce my French citizenship that I received from my mother," Dion told CBC's Peter Mansbridge.

Dion says he will renounce his French citizenship if it's a problem for a significant number of Canadians Since that citizenship came automatically from his mother, I, personally wouldn't ask him to do it .

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
I am not sure how I feel about this one. On the one hand the man is Canadian. However on the other hand a dual citizenship can predict a future conflict of intrest. Regardless of his past actions or what he says I don't know if it's worth it to gamble with the future of our country. That being said PMs in the past haven't even been born in this country so I don't know. I am split.

I would like to see us have something in place like the US though. Where only a Canadian citizen can run our country. I really think that is the way it should be. That way there is no split loyalties and no conflicts of interest. But having dual citizenship if you were born in Canada and are a citizen. I really don't know if that is as big of a deal as some are making it out to be.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I might be swayed if the sitution were different, like perhaps if he had dual citizenship but was only a recent citizen, but this man was born here, and has proved his commitment to Canada. Also, I don't think we're giving immigrants their due credit. Sure there are probably some who have split loyalties, like if they were forced to leave their home country as a result of conflict or what have you, but there are many who choose Canada because they want to be a Canadian. They like what we have to offer, and they genuinely want to contribute here. I think it's rather presumptuous of us to say to any immigrant or dual citizen that they can't be as loyal simply because they weren't born here or have dual citizenship as a result of an international formality.

Nikki

Free Thinker
Jul 6, 2006
calgary,ab
www.avonbynikki.com
I might be swayed if the sitution were different, like perhaps if he had dual citizenship but was only a recent citizen, but this man was born here, and has proved his commitment to Canada. Also, I don't think we're giving immigrants their due credit. Sure there are probably some who have split loyalties, like if they were forced to leave their home country as a result of conflict or what have you, but there are many who choose Canada because they want to be a Canadian. They like what we have to offer, and they genuinely want to contribute here. I think it's rather presumptuous of us to say to any immigrant or dual citizen that they can't be as loyal simply because they weren't born here or have dual citizenship as a result of an international formality.

Immegrants are welcome with open arms however that being said I still feel that to run our country you really should be born here. Even if they are 100% loyal it still becomes a conflict of interest.

vishliberal

Nominee Member
Feb 20, 2006
TORONTO
Dion's dual citizenship is a tricky situation. Dion was BORN in Canada, Jean was NOT in any case, so the fact that she has a dual citizenship on top of that demanded that she should become a single citizen of Canadian. Dions situation is quite different, so one should be careful when comparing. Dion was born in Canada and lived here for most of his life. Im sure the creator of this post "has nothing against him" and already claims that he wont vote for him but I dont think its a must to deal with the citizenship issue. I think that, before he starts an election campaign, he should get this out of the way, just so it wont make Canadians uncomfortable. However, once again, the I think we should really examine the more important things like their stances on issues before we choose our vote based on who has a dual citizenship, who speaks better, etc. However, he should eventually cease his dual citizenship.