So How about that Mail Strike?

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
I say reduce [Canadian Union of Postal Workers] salaries for incoming employees. Why not. If someone will do it for less, go for it.

"One of the issues is a salary reductions for new employees. The company wants to reduce labour costs by reducing the salary of new employees from $24 an hour to $17.50, according to the union.

Close to 20,000 of Canada Post’s 48,000 unionized workers are eligible to retire over the next 10 years."

Canada Post strike averted ? for now

Paying them $24 an hour doesn't seem to help. In the last year, I've had to request that a cheque be re-issued three times (the first two weren't cashed), and request that a work contract be re-issued twice. I registered a complaint with Canada Post 2 years ago, have called to update that the problem isn't solved - most recently last week. Let's try the $17 an hour guys.

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
LoL I know someon that "works" at the Canada Post building in Ottawa.
He says the trick to keeping your job is to do absolutly nothing. xDDDD

Cash for life.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
That's true of many gov't union positions ... municipal to federal. I worked for the city for a short time and the deal was "here's a city credit card, arrange meetings for coffee and lunch to do some stuff, and answer phone/email the rest of the time. Timeframe for gov't work is of course about 7 times real time. To make it look good, reports from years ago were recycled with new dates. It is possible to be bored in those positions.

Is snail mail obsolete, or should the Canada Post Union be overhauled to make mail delivery more effective.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Funny how government employees get close to tradesman wages plus benefits for doing minimum wage jobs. Makes one wonder just whose side governments are on, employees or taxpayers?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Funny how government employees get close to tradesman wages plus benefits for doing minimum wage jobs. Makes one wonder just whose side governments are on, employees or taxpayers?

The employees that are taxpayers or the taxpayers who are employees?