Smog Kills - REDUCE FOSSIL FUEL USE

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Smog Kills - REDUCE F

Reverend Blair said:
Yes and no. The land is mostly muskeg and swamp, so it emits a lot of methane anyway. The trees presently there are only a short-term carbon sink, not old growth. Aquatic plants and the water itself will absorb enough CO2 to make up for much of the flood damage.

Modern damming methods also require a much smaller footprint than older technologies did, so there is less flooding and less environmental damage.

It isn't absolutely clean though, you're right. Compared to coal, or even LNG, it is very clean. Second only to wind power, really. The trade-off has to be made.

Well, with that kind of logic, lets flood all of Manitoba :p :wink: :lol:

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma
You may get your wish Rev.

NDP Leader Howard Hampton (Kenora-Rainy River) was upset by the developments.

He predicted that the loss of Atikokan’s 215 megawatts of generation capacity would lead to power outages during dry summers when the area’s hydro generation would be curtailed.

“Atikokan also provides grid stability right now,” he said.

Without it, Hampton said, the length of power outages, due to storms downing transmission lines, for example, could increase.

If the government wants adequate backup, it must upgrade power transmission lines and import electricity from Manitoba, he said, adding there are no agreements for either move in place.

The troubling thing about this quote is that Hampton seems to be in favour of keeping the the Atikokan Generating Station (coal fired) open.

source: http://www.chroniclejournal.com/story.shtml?id=27657

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Smog Kills - REDUCE F

My understanding is that Hampton is pushing for the east-west grid and using the loss of the Atikokan plant to do it. He's being careful not to piss off any Ontario voters though. There have been on and off talks about a grid since before I moved here. Doer did have a tentaive agreement a couple of times, but Ontario always backs out at the last minute.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many windmills you would need to replace, lets say an average size dam? Do dams put out more power than 1000 windmills? Could one windmill provide enough power for a house? I think I will look into this a bit further.

passpatoo

Electoral Member
Aug 29, 2004
Algoma

Reverend Blair said:
My understanding is that Hampton is pushing for the east-west grid and using the loss of the Atikokan plant to do it. He's being careful not to piss off any Ontario voters though. There have been on and off talks about a grid since before I moved here. Doer did have a tentaive agreement a couple of times, but Ontario always backs out at the last minute.

I can understand why he has to be doing the fancy footwork with Atikokan being his home riding and all.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many windmills you would need to replace, lets say an average size dam? Do dams put out more power than 1000 windmills? Could one windmill provide enough power for a house? I think I will look into this a bit further.

The largest wind generator I have heard about are 2.5 GW. I'm not sure how much energy is produced in an average dam. If I recall correctly that translates into the energy needs for approx. 1000 Canadian homes, or 2000 European. The alternative power contractors that I have been in contact with didn't seem to have a problem with supplying all my energy needs with a wind generator. I gathered from our conversations that the limiting factors are only the space to place the generator, amount of wind, and of course $$.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many windmills you would need to replace, lets say an average size dam? Do dams put out more power than 1000 windmills?

Let us know what you find out. Hydro is more controllable, I do know that.

Could one windmill provide enough power for a house?

Yes, although you might not be able to run the dryer and roast a turkey at the same time. There are actually quite a few cottages and some full-time homes in Manitoba and NW Ontario that are off the grid. Most have all the modern conveniences too.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

no1important said:
Could one windmill provide enough power for a house?

I read a site a few months back where a couple had removed their house from the grid completely and relied strictly on a 10Kw wind generator and solar panels. Total cost for both systems came it at just shy of $50K. IIRC the wind generator was warranteed for 15years and the solar panels 20yrs. (although some higher priced equipment had longer warrantees to a max. of 25yrs.). I'd be more interested to know how reliable the turbines were over time. It's all well and good to be covered for 15-20 years but if it breaks down, free repair isn't going to keep that freezer full of food cold, now is it?

They also commented on never running short but having a few close calls while they got used to being 'green'. They still had a TV, stereo, PC and the major goodies of modern life, they just had to restrict their use to a few hours a week.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I would like to see homes have a small (2 cylinder maybe) engine that burns alcohol. It is very clean and would help farmers. When I move north someday, this is what I plan on doing.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Unfortunately, Jay, many (maybe all) modern engines need to be adapted before they can run on pure alcohol. It burns hotter and faster than gasoline and can burn the valves.

That's actually a step backwards...we've all heard of people who used moonshine in their vehicles during the depression.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Yes they do have to be adapted...all rubber seals must be removed, and injection tubes must be expanded. For greater performance (but not necessary) pistons should be domed to increase compression.

I also hear burning alcohol removes engine knocking.

Maybe next year I will convert this 5 horse engine a have laying around...I'll let you know how it goes.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Maybe I should convert the one on my walking tractor. I keep getting water in the gas, so I have to take off the engine cover, remove the carb and clean it out, then I have to do the same with the gas tank.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
from what I've heard it isn't hard....I found a link a while back I'll look for it again and post it.

Now finding a good supply of alcohol may be a problem....I don't think it will run off of Two Rivers....