Smog Kills - REDUCE FOSSIL FUEL USE

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
They have a new method of embedding spent nuclear fuel in a crystalline stucture that renders it completely inert. I've seen footage of a researcher crumbling the waste crystal in his bare hand to prove that it was safe (after testing for radiation first I'm sure). If I can find I link to this technology I'll post it, but I may have to look through some of my university notes to find it. It's very new however, so I don't think it's in use anywhere.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
When you make sweeping and inaccurate statements like,
Hydro power does massive, irreversable environmental damage,
while promoting nuclear plants, it tells us a lot about you, Ten Penny.

You are promoting a single form of energy production while doing your best to denigrate and discredit not only other methods, but groups and individuals that promote those those methods.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
AirIntake said:
They have a new method of embedding spent nuclear fuel in a crystalline stucture that renders it completely inert. I've seen footage of a researcher crumbling the waste crystal in his bare hand to prove that it was safe (after testing for radiation first I'm sure). If I can find I link to this technology I'll post it, but I may have to look through some of my university notes to find it. It's very new however, so I don't think it's in use anywhere.

Looking forward to the link...sounds cool.

I used to support nuclear energy...then Ontario got the bill for those old reactors....what was promised to be a never ending, cheap energy source, has turned into a very expensive proposition.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Smog Kills - REDUCE F

A lot of that bill was due to kickbacks and corruption in the Harris government, Jay.

If the nuclear waste problem can be solved, I have no problem with nuclear energy. I'd really like to know more about the crystal thing.

Something I've never been able to understand is that if the waste is still radioactive it is still emitting energy of some sort. How come there is so little apparent interest in harnessing that energy as well? It would require some other technologies to be developed, true enough, but technology drives economic growth.

Even with that though, nuclear energy alone is not enough to supply all of our needs at a reasonable cost and can only drive the economy so far. It is not a magic bullet that will allow us to desert all other forms of energy and should not be considered as such.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The bill I'm talking about was the one to fix the aging reactors....

camere01

Sep 25, 2005
Southeastern US
Kyoto offered the US a chance to have its economy wrecked. The politicans both liberal and conservative have rejected it due to its dire economic impacts. No one could ever expect the US to buy into such a treaty. The treaty should be redone so that the economic impacts are mitigated thus allowing the US to sign on and to start addressing the CO2 problem.

I agree that smog kills and that the effects of fossile fuels are causing significant loss of life in large cities. I would also point out that hardly anybody really cares. I consider myself to be an environmentalist and I have always driven small cars and lived in small homes (my wife complains all the time because I can afford a larger home). I am also a conservative (a former liberal but the lying and taxes changed my way of thinking). I recently attended a forum addressing enviromental issues and when I pulled in the parking lot I was amazed by all the huge SUVs. The meeting turned out to be a liberal gab fest and afterward they all got in their SUVs and drove off feeling good about themselvs. Not one person congratulated me for taking the issues seriously.

As for those who believe that that there are alternate energy and fuel sources available, but have been "hidden" due to all the policital lobbies on both sides of the border in Canada and the US I would submit that there is a finite amount of energy in a gallon of gas and that it will only push a 5000 lb vehicle so far and that it will push a 1500 lb vehicle alot further. Some gains can be picked up on the margins (fuel injection, electronic ignition for example) but the limit is the amount of energy in the fuel. There is no magic bullet that big oil or big auto is hidding. I suggest to those that want to reduce fossile fuel use the best place to find the cause of the problem is in the bathroom. I suggest you go in there and take a look in the mirror.

Also it should be noted that distilling ethanol can be accomplished by cooking the stuff off with farm waste or wood waste both methods are considered CO2 neutral.

A couple of links to the new technolgies in the energy field are provided and they are not being bought out by big oil or big auto.

http://www.starrotor.com/Engine.htm

http://www.blacklightpower.com/

Also I had the pleasure of surving time in the military during the war in Tampa at Central Command. Like many other military personnel I don't mind the risks of being in combat. The only thing that bothered me was the whinning. The liberal whinning about the war goes on with the death of each solder bringing comparisons to Viet Nam. The truth is these people are politizing the issues the same as they are politizing the enviromental issues. If they really cared about people being killed and mamed they would be screaming about the 40 thousand plus people killed on the highways and the 120 thousand that are badly injured each year.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Kyoto offered the US a chance to have its economy wrecked.

This statement has no basis in fact. The reality is that new technologies have always, throughout history, improved economies and created wealth.

The only people who are in danger of loosing money are companies like Exxon and weasels like George Bush. Neither Exxon nor the radical neo-con oil men currently running the USA have the best interests of the people or the USA at heart though, they are interested in personal profits.

There are alternative fuels that will run in today's vehicles. Bio-fuels made from everything from purpose-grown crops to used cooking oil to chicken shit have been a reality for a very long time. They aren't secret, but the oil companies have a stranglehold on distribution and aren't making them available.

camere01

Sep 25, 2005
Southeastern US
I agree Rev that new tech has the effects that you mentioned and a classic US example is all ot the technologies that were derived from US space programs. I would not have had a problem with US signing on to Koto but the politicians could not bring themselvs to singing on to a document with so many unknows and a document that would have exceeded the risk that politicians are willing to take.

The new energy bill that has just been signed will help the US move towards a point where we could sign onto the treaty. The two companines that I provided links to could get us there very quick if the tehnologies prove out.

smile_2001_

Oct 3, 2005
Most ppl do not want to reduce their uses of fossil fuels. The president himself is making huge announcments saying that we need to cut down, yet he flies his enormous jet to go make these speaches, the say that one hour on his jet uses over $6000 dollars worth of fuel alone. The fact is that it has taken millions of years to the earth to produce our current amounts of fossile fuels, and in the 100 years of driving and heating and so on, we have almost used up the worlds supply, and once it is gone its gone, we'll have to wait another 100 million years to get it back.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Smog Kills - REDUCE F

So much of that is based on politics though, Smile. Exxon has been running a massive campaign to bring global warming science into question. Right-wing publications give more than equal time to people like Baliunas and Soon, who are nothing more than paid shills for Exxon. So people don't take global warming seriously.

Bush has been telling people to conserve not because of global warming and good science, but because of Katrina. Meanwhile Exxon is turning record profits because they've been able to jack up the prices and most people aren't in a situation where they can conserve.

They bought the big trucks and SUVs they were supposed to. They bought the monster houses they were supposed to. They developed the lifestyle they were supposed to. They can't afford to turn that in now, so they are stuck not being able to conserve.

They were sold a bill of goods because of the political power of Exxon and now they're trapped.