Should We Lower Gas Taxes?

paullind10

Feb 20, 2007
www.healthcarereviews.com
Are the federal and provincial governments addicted to gas tax revenues? The federal government is enjoying a huge tax winfall from the rising gas prices, more than they ever hoped for in their budgets for road maintenance and creation.

Should the Federal government be allowed to gouge consumers like big oil companies and OPEC.

We all know that all the extra revenue will not go towards road repair and creating public transportation, so why should we keep paying more gas taxes? Can anyone justify increasing gas revenue taxes?

If the extra revenue was earmarked for environmentally friendly public transportation projects and development of better vehicles I could get behind the idea of increased taxes but I don't feel it will be spent that way.

Staff, http://www.GreenCarsNow.com

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Are the federal and provincial governments addicted to gas tax revenues? The federal government is enjoying a huge tax winfall from the rising gas prices, more than they ever hoped for in their budgets for road maintenance and creation.

Should the Federal government be allowed to gouge consumers like big oil companies and OPEC.

We all know that all the extra revenue will not go towards road repair and creating public transportation, so why should we keep paying more gas taxes? Can anyone justify increasing gas revenue taxes?

If the extra revenue was earmarked for environmentally friendly public transportation projects and development of better vehicles I could get behind the idea of increased taxes but I don't feel it will be spent that way.

Staff, http://www.GreenCarsNow.com

The long of it and the short of it is that when the Snow White Harper bunch were campaigning in the last Federal election 2005-6 they put out the carrot on the stick that we will cut the GST TO 5 % WHILE NOT TELLING CANADIANS THAT THEY WILL GET THE CUTS BACK BY GOUGING ON THE GAS TAX.
AND GOUGING IT IS.

When we see THE OIL COMPANIES RECORDING PROFITS LIKE $750M IN THE SECOND QUARTER AND KNOWING THAT Ottawa is taxing heavily the oil cartel, we now know that the Feds used Canadians to get the huge revenues EXXON, SHELL, PETROCAN, CHEVRON, ARE RECORDING AS WELL $070 OF EVERY LITTER WE PAY AT THE PUMPS GOES TO THE FEDS. So Harper is taxing the oil companies and is getting a bundle of cash while we pay the extra $.070 per litter. Who is screwing who here? There should be a revolt against these deceitful idiots who call them self’s honest Government.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
The Libs as well as the cons put these taxes in place, and I have not heard of the cons raising them since they've been in power- Alot of these taxes go to pay for infrastructure - bridges, highways road repairs etc. since vehicle owners use this infrastructure they /us/we should pay for it.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
We should be encouraged to reduce our consumption - keeping the taxes high does this.

The gov't needs money to function - keeping the gas taxes high does this.

I don't see any problem with 'high' gas taxes.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
We should be encouraged to reduce our consumption - keeping the taxes high does this.

I/m with Tenpenny on this.....except prices need to be capped, and oil company profits taxed....HARD.

Oil Company Profits
The Investment U e-Letter: Issue # 653
March 23, 2007
Oil Company Profits: Just Who Is Gouging Whom?
by Alexander Green, Investment Director, The Oxford Club

The new speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, calls oil company profits "obscene."
And at first blush, many would agree. Over the past 12 months, for example, ExxonMobil has made pre-tax profits of $164 billion on sales of $369.5 billion. That's a lot.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
The Libs as well as the cons put these taxes in place, and I have not heard of the cons raising them since they've been in power- Alot of these taxes go to pay for infrastructure - bridges, highways road repairs etc. since vehicle owners use this infrastructure they /us/we should pay for it.

The truth is Lester never in the Federal Liberal government history we ever experience where Canadians are selling their Trucks and V6 automobiles because they can no longer afford the GAS, while the GM truck plant in Ontario is sutting down because people stop driving trucks knowing that their screwd by a bunch who claim they care for Canadians.
Although I agree with you that gasoline tax pays for infrastructure. It is known that a full dollar collected on gas is spend for that very cause, but if we look at the microeconomics we be lucky if we see $.040 on a dollar for maintaining roads and bridges or transit while $.060 on a dollar is taken by these snow white losers to cover the promises they made during election time.

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
The truth is Lester never in the Federal Liberal government history we ever experience where Canadians are selling their Trucks and V6 automobiles because they can no longer afford the GAS, while the GM truck plant in Ontario is sutting down because people stop driving trucks knowing that their screwd by a bunch who claim they care for Canadians.
Although I agree with you that gasoline tax pays for infrastructure. It is known that a full dollar collected on gas is spend for that very cause, but if we look at the microeconomics we be lucky if we see $.040 on a dollar for maintaining roads and bridges or transit while $.060 on a dollar is taken by these snow white losers to cover the promises they made during election time.
gas prices are high because of peak oil not taxes, it's not the cons fault- What promises did they make? be specific.I also beleive we have to tax the crap out of oil companies.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

I f you use an automobile you will see the problem soon Ten Penny. Canada has very rich oil reserves which makes us a self sustaining energy Country. Make no mistake about the fact that the Canadian government more so today than other times in history is involved in a conspiracy between, these 4 factors to high oil prices.
1 - OPEC
2 - Big Oil companies
3 - Futures traders
4 - Terrorism against oil facilities
Debate all you want about which is most responsible, but here is realety looking at all of us
#4 creates a conspiracy against the use of transportation.
# 4 is the one that can very easily be protected by all governments around the world whose countries are depended on oil against such hostile losers. But if they were to protect against such a scenario they would loose revenues
The oil cartel has an obligation to insure that terrorism will not affect the price of crude oil.
But you know what,
1 or 2 ships are attacked by the terrorists and who knows these losers could have bought shares on oil and by attacking one or two ships they make money on their stock investment. This is a conspiracy and perfect excuse by OPEC as well the oil companies as well governments to keep oil height in order to combat these inflationary times we are experiencing today. :roll:

Last edited:

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
gas prices are high because of peak oil not taxes, it's not the cons fault- What promises did they make? be specific.I also beleive we have to tax the crap out of oil companies.

Harper promised to cut the GST by 2% while he knew that there will be other hidden ways to recover that 2%. You can be sure at the rate of revenue they are collecting from the oil companies Ottawa is not only recovering the 2% they are recovering far more. He promised small personal income tax cuts, he again knew that there will be hidden ways to collect whatever he was offering during electioneering (the carrot on the stick) as we saw the additional cost of his over spending on campaigning by $770.000 was destined to be paid in secrecy by the voters who never vote for these scumbags. So I see the writing on the wall, the Canadian populous is screwed by a Government who troughs out a carrot and hope that the masses will chew on it and shut the f up. It is a conspiracy.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
No, we should not lower gas taxes. TenPenny hit it on the head.

There's really only two choices to make here. Reduce consumption, or drill more wells/refine more gasoline. The latter is really out of your control.

Cutting taxes now is at best temporary, because the increased consumption will drive the price back up anyways. Then we have less money to maintain infrastructure. Then we're talking about increased taxes, or program cuts somewhere else, or deficit spending.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
No, we should not lower gas taxes. TenPenny hit it on the head.

There's really only two choices to make here. Reduce consumption, or drill more wells/refine more gasoline. The latter is really out of your control.

Cutting taxes now is at best temporary, because the increased consumption will drive the price back up anyways. Then we have less money to maintain infrastructure. Then we're talking about increased taxes, or program cuts somewhere else, or deficit spending.

Here is the nail on the tax payer coffin Tonington, like it or not while they are collecting tax upon tax the feds are on their way to show deficit spending, of course it is to be expected from the Conservatives, they love deficits and I am sure you remember the Mulroney rat pack left over $100m deficit spending which we are still paying for it. Oh no lets not say bad things about the Tories they are the greatest invention in combating governmental economics.:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
Nope Toningtons correct, lowering taxes is a temporary measure oil companies will simply raise the price since they feel we will be able to afford it now that taxes are lowered- It seems to me that you just hate Cons.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The global demand for energy resources is rising and will continue to rise for the next forseeable century. This problem won't go away with a gas tax cut. Like others have said, a tax cut would either create more consumption and/or give oil companies more room to raise their prices.

We all make choices. The cost of running a mid-sized SUV is twice the cost of an economy vehicle. A friend of mine is leasing a Toyota Yaris. The savings in gas costs alone compared to his previous vehicle is paying for his new vehicle and the gas to operate it. Plus the government sent him a rebate check for a grand or so because the new vehicle is environmentally friendly.

People need to get smarter about what they buy. Just say no to sitting in giant showroom vehicles and falling in love them.