School Safety

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The true lunatic would get him or herself LOCKED IN WITH THE KIDS and then open fire.

You can't really effectively protect kids from people who are hell bent on injuring them. People will always find a way to hurt people. Most lockdowns at schools happen to prevent the kids from being an easy, or accidental, target of criminals looking for a way to evade police.

We always locked our doors when the police choppers were searching our neighbourhood... common sense kind of dictates caution when a known threat is in the area.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You can't really effectively protect kids from people who are hell bent on injuring them. People will always find a way to hurt people. Most lockdowns at schools happen to prevent the kids from being an easy, or accidental, target of criminals looking for a way to evade police.

We always locked our doors when the police choppers were searching our neighbourhood... common sense kind of dictates caution when a known threat is in the area.

not talking about a lock down like that Karrie. We're talking about schools that are locked down 24/7. Locked down even when there is no known threat within 1000 miles. Excuse given by sal......... protect kids from parents that don't have custody. :roll: I gather that there are bands of non custodial parents roaming Ontario just looking for a chance to snatch kids from school.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are boogieman lock downs.

Apparently bands of roving boogiemen (possibly zombies) are looking to harm kids at rates 10,000X more than ever. It was on TV.

24/7 lockdown is just a prison for kids, no more, no less. The didn't do anything wrong and neither did you to have your parental rights usurped.

If you want to do drills to keep yourself happy, natural disaster drills work just fine. There is no shortage of blizzards and tornadoes in Canada

There is no need to make them afraid of the world around them when here is nothing to be afraid of.

Who?

There is no more now than there was 40 years ago.

Who?

Who is running to schools to avoid being caught?

Running to 400 eyes isn't evading cops.

It's turning yourself in.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
not talking about a lock down like that Karrie. We're talking about schools that are locked down 24/7. Locked down even when there is no known threat within 1000 miles. Excuse given by sal......... protect kids from parents that don't have custody. :roll: I gather that there are bands of non custodial parents roaming Ontario just looking for a chance to snatch kids from school.

Oh Gerry, that might be what you're talking about, it's NOT solely what petros is talking about. He started all this because of talk of a school going into lockdown when a gunman was fleeing police in the area. His opinion of such 'idiocy' is scathing.

There are boogieman lock downs.

Apparently bands of roving boogiemen (possibly zombies) are looking to harm kids at rates 10,000X more than ever. It was on TV.

24/7 lockdown is just a prison for kids, no more, no less. The didn't do anything wrong and neither did you to have your parental rights usurped.

If you want to do drills to keep yourself happy, natural disaster drills work just fine. There is no shortage of blizzards and tornadoes in Canada

There is no need to make them afraid of the world around them when here is nothing to be afraid of.

Who?

There is no more now than there was 40 years ago.

Who?

Who is running to schools to avoid being caught?

Running to 400 eyes isn't evading cops.

It's turning yourself in.

Like I said, I don't like the idea of 24/7 locked schools, and I've been happy my kids have never been in a school that utilizes it. They use a one entry system that takes you straight past the office, and that seems to suffice. But, that being said, parents don't HAVE to send their kid to public school. You are, by all rights, allowed to homeschool your kids, so the government isn't usurping your custody rights. You are voluntarily putting your kids in their care.

As to a fleeing criminal in the neighbourhood eliciting a lockdown, yeah, we get it, you think all criminals think the way you think they should think. I know enough cops to know some are stone cold stupid, and unpredictable. Lockdowns during actual threats in the area makes sense, and isn't reducing our children into puddles of paranoia like you imagine.