Saskatchewan: in a nutshell according to an expert

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
A Saskatchewan friend sent these to me. She live in BC at the moment and is pining to move back home to Saskatchewan one day very soon. When temperatures fell to -30 in Kelowna last winter, she was the only one who still walked to and from work each day (two miles each way). She's one of the reasons I like Saskatchewan so much.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Saskatchewan: in a nutshell according to an expert

sj007 said:
it seems tht some of these sask rules of the road apply to quebec too

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about BC, actually.

One funny thing I've always noticed about people from the prairies, they slow right down before taking a bend in the road. How on earth will they manage the popular new roundabouts? :cool:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

sj007 said:
oh us here in quebec its speed thru the turn
and the poor pedestrian almost gets run over

Clearly the pedestrians are stark-staring mad if they're trying to cross anywhere even remotely near a roundabout. :cool:

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

sj007 said:
lol whell in quebec we have what i call the run away instead of the right of way

:cool: :cool: Who really needs bungie jumping when you can get cheap thrills and twice the danger with run aways?

We have a new roundabout in the area. Now, I think the safety concep of the roundabout is that you can't really go around in a tight circle fast enough to cause any real danger, but my, I have to say, there are a lot of people out there challenging this idea.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.

sj007 said:
have u ever been to france?
they take thier roundabouts quite fast

Believe me, I was thinking about France when you mentioned 'run aways'. :cool: Roundabouts there are misnamed. They should be called 'Testing Stations' for that's what they are, really, testing the cornering handling of your car.

It has been years since I've been there, though, and so I don't know if this is still true. Back then, there were NO LANES, people just kind of drove every which way. It was hilarious, fun, and sometimes scary as hell. We liked it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Saskatchewan: in a nu

I think the French has it right. They still have no lanes. But it teaches the pedestrians to have respect for large fast moving vehicles!

Here, in BC they have no respect. And they end up dead more often then not. I have a picture of them in my head, standing at the pearly gates complaining about how it wasn't their fault.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: Saskatchewan: in a nu

Twila said:
I think the French has it right. They still have no lanes. But it teaches the pedestrians to have respect for large fast moving vehicles!

Here, in BC they have no respect. And they end up dead more often then not. I have a picture of them in my head, standing at the pearly gates complaining about how it wasn't their fault.

Isn't that the truth!

:cool: I'm glad to hear that France has maintained a lane-free zone on her roads. It's crazy, but for some strange reason it works.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Here, in BC they have no respect.

Yeah, and in BC a flashing green light means that somebody (no doubt wearing shorts and a rain jacket) is going to jump out in front of your car. Every place else on earth it means you can turn left.

The thing about the Ring Road in Regina is that it's where you test your car to make sure it will survive high speeds out in the middle of nowhere.

The honking at people who don't move when the light turns green is because if they'd been watching the other light, they'd know when the green was about to come on. There is a three second delay between the other light turning red and yours turning green.

The stop sign thing is because they should have used yeild signs. Besides, if you have an old truck with a questionable clutch it's best no to induce undue wear and tear.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Reverend Blair said:
The honking at people who don't move when the light turns green is because if they'd been watching the other light, they'd know when the green was about to come on. There is a three second delay between the other light turning red and yours turning green.

This is true! Vancouver used to be notorious for that, but I don't think it is as much anymore. Speaking of lights, there's the comment about Quebec's no-right-turn-on-a-red-light law: "Maybe we can't turn right on a red light . . . but tabernac, we can go right THROUGH it."

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

sj007 said:
oh us here in quebec its speed thru the turn
and the poor pedestrian almost gets run over

And what's with that no right on a red? They come over here and stall traffic in the turning lane. :evil: