Retailers face backlash over Remembrance Day promotions

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Retailers face backlash over Remembrance Day promotions
QMI Agency
First posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 11:55 AM EST | Updated: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:11 PM EST
On a day when most people celebrate freedom and sacrifice, some companies instead honour the free market. And consumers aren't buying it.
An e-mail from The Gap, advertising a "Remembrance Day deal" on women's puffer vests, instead received backlash from angry Canadians.
"Gap and other self-serving companies need to remember that Remembrance Day is a time for giving and not promoting sales!" tweeted @PeterDeWit.
The clothing store later apologized.
B.C.'s Crave Ejuice, which sells organic flavoured liquid for e-cigarettes, offered on its website it would take 25% off for shoppers who used the code "remember25" at checkout.
Clothing seller Eddie Bauer, which doesn't have a separate Canadian website, was holding a "Veterans Day Sale" — and the code "festive" would give shoppers free shipping.
While tapping into Veterans Day — the Remembrance Day equivalent in the U.S. — is more commonplace south of the border, some retailers decided to avoid it and instead tapped into another Nov. 11 holiday: Singles Day, the anti-Valentine's Day popular in China.
The date — 11/11, or four 1's — is a day "for single people to celebrate their freedom."
That didn't stop the online backlash for some.
One Twitter user, obviously unimpressed with Overstock's Singles Day sale, asked the U.S. mega-retailer: "Is singles day on Veteran's Day because of all the widows?"
In the town of Horley, England, south of London, a Tesco grocery store was reportedly selling "Remembrance Day pizza" with "poppy-roni" — salami arranged in the shape of a poppy, with black olives for the centre and green pepper for the stem.
(Screenshot from B.C.'s Crave Ejuice website)

Retailers face backlash over Remembrance Day promotions | Canada | News | Toront

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I thought the pizzas actually looked a little neat, but for the place that said to enter the word 'festive' to get a discount on Veteran's Day, festive is the LAST word that I think of when I think of what Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day stands for.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's a little different here. Veterans Day is to celebrate those who served, so it's a happier holiday than Remembrance Day. Memorial Day, the last Monday in May, is to honour the fallen, and is probably more in tune with the spirit of Remembrance Day than Veterans Day is.

My lady friend took me to a nice restaurant for lunch, and the waiter asked us if either of us was a veteran our drinks were free. That was nice.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
And that is why Remembrance Day should not become a Statutory Holiday to be turned into excuse for Dead Soldiers Sale Day........