Respect

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Australian PM defends pulling special forces out of Afghanistan

Tuesday September 26, 2006 (1340 PST)

SYDNEY: Australian Prime Minister John Howard has defended his decision to withdraw special forces troops from Afghanistan in the midst of an increasingly bloody insurgency.

An elite special force task group of about 200 Special Air Services (SAS) troops and commandos is due to return to Australia this month after spending a year conducting operations in the southern Afghan province of Uruzgan.

Howard defended pulling out the troops at a time when the insurgency was intensifying and NATO`s commander of the alliance`s mission in Afghanistan, General James Jones, has appealed for 2,000 extra soldiers.
Australia is in the process of deploying a 400-strong reconstruction team backed by infantry troops to work with a Dutch-led reconstruction taskforce in Uruzgan.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said he met with NATO officials in Brussels overnight to discuss the situation in Afghanistan.
The rest is interesting but this was what I really wanted to share:

He said more troops would be desirable but there was also scope for some European troops to remove caveats placed on their existing deployments so they could be reassigned from the relatively quiet north to hotspots elsewhere in the country.

"The real challenge is that a larger number of countries in Afghanistan need to abandon the sort of caveats there are on their involvement and be prepared to support the countries that are particularly shouldering the burden in the south of the country," Downer told Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

"I focus particularly on Canada, they`ve had 36 soldiers killed and they`ve been doing an enormous amount of work in the south of the country.

"We`d like to feel that some of the other countries in the north of Afghanistan would be prepared to come in and provide backup support when it was needed in the south."
Its nice to see some recognition coming from outside of Canada.

Link

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
yes

I dont like war ,but do support the men and women who have gone on this mission ,I wish I could hear straight from those men and women ,how they feel they doing ,how they view their need to be there .
Also here in Ottawa we have Lowell Green(cfra radio) asking why other countries like France for one, hasnt step up to the plate and offered hands on help .

Good one, some support from outside ,

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Why don't the Canadian Forces have Military Blogs?

We get more information in the U.S. from the people whose feet are on the ground than any new sources bound by all kinds of rules.

It also allows the military members to keep in touch with their family and friends.

Why are the Canadians denied this benefit?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
We should all pull out until Pakistan comes clean and stops supporting the Taliban and their constant regrouping. Indeed maybe Pakistan alone should shoulder the burden of pacifying Afghanistan. They're next door, neck deep in the mess and a major collaborator. Let them handle it. They're damn good at making sure it goes on.

Proud American

Nominee Member
Sep 22, 2006
Baltimore,MD
We should all pull out until Pakistan comes clean and stops supporting the Taliban and their constant regrouping. Indeed maybe Pakistan alone should shoulder the burden of pacifying Afghanistan. They're next door, neck deep in the mess and a major collaborator. Let them handle it. They're damn good at making sure it goes on.

I say isolate the entire Middle East region and let them work it out, kill each other, whatever they need to do. NOt one more soldier from ANY country needs to shed another drop of blood for those ungrateful, evil leaches......:mad:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Well the folks there are certainly from a different tree in the orchard than I am. I'm a little tired of being told we're all members of the world-wide human family. It's like being told pit bulls and poodles and Newfoundlands all belong in the same kennel.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Didn't someone once say "everything I know I learned it in kindergarten"? My daughter started KG a couple of weeks ago. The first week theme was "respect". Learning to show respect for others. The leaders of this world, from all sides, need to re-attend that kind of important educational training. It seems so simple, but without mutual respect there is no way to achieve peace.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
Why don't the Canadian Forces have Military Blogs?

We get more information in the U.S. from the people whose feet are on the ground than any new sources bound by all kinds of rules.

It also allows the military members to keep in touch with their family and friends.

Why are the Canadians denied this benefit?

Thats a good question. I know that there is a board for the military types. But I don't know about blogs. Maybe they have access to email?

Link

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LRG

Google has numerous military blogs listed - for instance here is one:
http://www.milblogging.com

This site links to all kinds of blogs and there is a Canadian one in there too...(perhaps more)...
http://kosanyi.blogspot.com/ (Ernie goes to Ottawa)....

For the past two years I followed one writer Thunder 6 (Danjel Boot), who was in Baghdad and spent enough time there to be promoted from a Sergeant to a Captain. He belonged to the National Guard in order to put himself through college and was a click away from his Ph.D. before he was shipped out. He returned last January
and his blog may still be sitting there - he included pictures, recounted skirmishes, silly things that guys always seem to get into, how the military celebrated various holidays and how they mourned their dead.

He had many gripping tales to share - and when it was time for him to return home, all his fans were counting the days hoping he would finally board the chopper to take him away from that hell.... He was such a great writer we were begging him to write a book when he finished his posting and got his Ph.D. out of the way - and had some time with his new wife (he was sent over right after he got married)....
Don't know if the blog is still there, but here is the link:
http://thunder6.typepad.com/365_arabian_nights/

I just clicked onto the link above and it is still sitting there with all his words. He begins his last entry with the beautiful style he used to write: "Every goodbye is the beginning of a memory". We learned a great deal from that man.

E-mail is available to all military people I think - probably within criteria dictated by the military but
still - it's a great way to keep in touch because the phone calls are sparse.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LGR

Glad you had an opportunity to have a look-see.

When there is a personality behind the word "soldier" or whatever descriptives we use - it changes the picture somewhat.

Danjel Boot joined the National Guard to be able to complete his university education which in the case of a doctorate is around eight years.

When he was called to active duty as were many who were going through university via the National Guard, he answered as the others did.

I don't know about the here and now, but at the time, Iraq seemed a worthy objective to free the people who had been under Hussein's rule.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LRG

Sorry - of course you'd enjoy Ernie's story more....it was a hoot....he reminds me of the kind of mix-ups one of my stepsons got into when he decided to join up.

I love the humor!