Report: Alberta Oil Sands Most Destructive Project on Earth

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
More than ducks are dying as a result of the oil sands project.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2006/03/10/ed-fortchip20060310.html

Cancer rate in Fort Chipewyan cause for alarm: medical examiner

Last Updated: Friday, March 10, 2006 | 8:48 AM MT

CBC News

Northern Alberta's medical examiner has requested an investigation by Health Canada into the unusually high rate of cancer and immune diseases in Fort Chipewyan.

Dr. John O'Connor, a physician and medical examiner for the remote northern community, says the population of 1,200 has been disproportionately affected by a high number of both rare and common cancers.

"I'm having increasing difficulty explaining to myself and to my patients why," said O'Connor, noting the cancer rate in Fort Chipewyan exceeds that of many larger populations.

Elders in the community say they didn't see these kinds of diseases until the oil industry started production near their homes on the southwestern tip of Lake Athabasca.

O'Connor said he suspects oil and gas activity may play a role. He wants oil companies working in the region to help finance some research into the community's health problems.

Syncrude and Suncor extract and process hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil a day in their oil sands projects near the community.

There's a huge fusion reactor about 93 million miles away that provides all the energy we'll ever need. This isn't about providing enough energy for our needs it's about maintaining a monopoloy that is mostly benefiting a few. How much of that over $100 a barrel of oil stays in the province or even the country it originates from. The oil companies have far too much power and far too little interest in the consequences of the product they sell.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I guess you want to be just pedalling a bike in a few years???

Hey, just because some people want to conduct business in a more sustainable method, doesn't mean they want to turn us all into Luddites. That's the irony of that strawman meme. Those pushing for cleaner business practices are also pushing new technology, you know like pV and concentrated solar power.

Albertans should look around the world a bit more. There's toxic tailing ponds found all over the planet, and the results are never good. Unless you want a higher incidence of cancer, autoimmune diseases and respiratory problems. Listen to Lougheed.