Religious Left

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
I agree, both extremes are a problem. The left attempting to stifle free speech through ultra-PC, and anti-hate speech laws, is just as bad as the abortion, SSM issues.

The difference, I think is in, as they say, the details. The Christian right has the backing of some major supporters, namely the people in power. Plus, the left is no where near as vocal. The right seems to have gotten a bur in their collective ass and won't be satisfied until they win.

Remember the "War on Christmas?" What a Gong Show that was. People were actually objecting to stores having policies of openness and tollerance. 8O :roll:

I mean, how can you possibly object to that?!? Unbelievable.

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
excuse my ignorance and the lateness of the evening, but I think the left is quiet because they have a strong belief that it will all sift out. Somewhere (gawd this place is so big) There was a conversation that right and left politics didnt necesarily go hand in hand with right and left religion. OK I'll agree to that only because the word religion was used. Replace it with "Belief system" and I think its truer to the mark.

LittleRunningGag

Electoral Member
Jan 11, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
members.shaw.ca
:blink:

Well that doesn't sound the least bit crazy. 8O

While I support the end of organized religion, and it is my personal view that organized religion is one of the true evils that exist in our world today, there is no way that I could ever advocate for its involuntary destruction. If people wanted to end it themselves, I'd be all for that. But forcing the destruction of religion?!? I would fight you tooth and nail.

EDIT: Well, there was a crazy post above this one (full of bolded red type) just a second ago. :lol:

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
It is a similar sense of entitlement that animates the Christian theocrats; they believe that God has anointed them, as Christian Right leader D. James Kennedy has put it, as "God's vice-regents"
=====================
If it is really the way it is written here, it is very - very scary.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Re: RE: Religious Left

jimmoyer said:
And about that charity, I don't see complaints about
that. I see intead both left and right complaining
about any corruption or mis-use or waste of that
charity.

Then you aren't talking to the same people I am. I live in liberal central and hear plenty of conservatives and liberals b*tching about it. They are pretty much all Christians. Only once have I been catty and asked them what Jesus would do if he were around today... It sort of ended the conversation.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Zan said:
a thought though: Could it be possible that the Christian left might just 'infiltrate' the right a tad - remind them what it was that Jesus was teaching?

Oh yes, Jesus would tell us all that a behemoth federal government was the answer to all our problems for sure....

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California

Jay said:
Oh yes, Jesus would tell us all that a behemoth federal government was the answer to all our problems for sure....

Did I say anything about that? I am talking about charity plain and simple, not any government.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Sorry Tracy, I misposted and then corrected it....my bad.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB

Jay said:
Zan said:
a thought though: Could it be possible that the Christian left might just 'infiltrate' the right a tad - remind them what it was that Jesus was teaching?

quite right Jay, I doubt he would. Wasn't my point though...

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
I think Zan's point was that there needs to be a middle ground and that Jesus taught tollerance and patience. (Feel free to tell me if Im off track Zan) Im not a christian but I do think if the far right(?) ACTUALLY read the teachings of their leader they wouldnt BE so right (pun intended)