Refusing Royal Assent

Is there anything that would warrant the G.G. veto-ing a Bill?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prefer not to answer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Wednesday's Child said:
Point taken Jay

But isn't it a bit expensive having to pay for a "maintenance supervisor" for your elected officials????

Not overly. We have far bigger expenses that the GG.

Wednesday's Child said:
Even if evidence was discovered which the GG would have to act upon wouldn't the Queen still have to be brought into the picture rather than giving the "power" to the GG?

No, not really. The GG is to act on the Queens behalf, not at the advice of the Queen.

If I could change one thing on this issue it would be the Queen should pick her GG from amongst us...maybe since I'm such a loyal subject she would pick me.... :)

Wednesday's Child said:
It seems such traditional roles are passe and as for maintaining and overseeing the military - that should have nothing to do with a ruler or government - other than passing a declaration of war or peacekeeping or sending the military to international duties....even through the U.N. operations.

Traditional roles may be passe, but what American traditions could we deem to be the same.
It's the Queens army, but the Queen is the people, she is our representative to govern over the parliamentarians, she is there to protect, not hinder.

Wednesday's Child said:
I believe in less government - and a government with more active connection to the public it represents, not more traditional, unapproachable figureheads.

I do to, less government is better, but not ditching the Queen. We could use a smaller government in Canada that's for sure, but throwing away the Queen would amount to theft IMO.

Maybe some people don't understand the Queen is approachable and she is more than just a far away figure from Camelot.
I've been thinking of writing her a letter for sometime now to tell on these idiots that call themselves the representatives in Canada. :)

Wednesday's Child said:
If the connection to royalty is an expression of being part of Canada still and is worth the money - I would urge Canada to begin education in the role of the GG as so many don't seem to understand it - unless it has gone the way of the dodo bird and people are merely paying lip service to the Tradition.

I completely agree. You would think that with a public education system we would be steeped in how our governments works and such, but I have for a long time now understood that public education is a tool for subversion, not enlightenment.

Long live the Queen.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Dear Jay

Does Elizabeth II know you are lurking in the shadows waiting for her "clarion call"????

She could do with some devoted inheritors and advisors judging from what I've seen Philip produce ... :p

On the GG job - it should be a Canadian - born in the country. Perhaps the new Canadians do not know or understand the historical background of the duty of appointment.

If I ever knew it (or comprehended it), I have since lost interest and obviously up to date knowledge - because I see it as superfluous to the Queen herself only representing Canada, not some favored person who may or may not be for the best interests of Canadian people.

It's like sending an administrative assistant or accountant when the CEO wants to play golf. (Ugly capitalist that I am).

I wish you would write that letter....it would boost her morale!!!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Jay - yup you should!

Get FiveParadox to help you with all that formality stuff.... he's got it down pat!!

Edited due stupidity of author....with apologies to Five...typo only.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
:)

Yes HE does have the formality stuff down and the colourful posts for sure....

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
I dunno, the queen didnt have any say when Tony Blair decided to wag the dog and go to war with the US, which I think is completely wrong, and probably cost the life of my mate in the underground bombings of 7/7.

So really if you think about it, who actually is the one with the power?....it's all the MP's across the globe, high on that list being that idiot Tony.

Canada's a big country, if you remove the GG, it wont be like the US, I really do tire of them going on about the "tyranical" english, which we all know is frankly wrong, as an aussie mate of mine said "colonialism was the in thing then, and to be honest, if you chose anyone, it would be England, the rest were far far worse", I've been to canada (and wanna come back soon), your nothing like the US, ok this is generalised, but it comes down to the type of people, you'll fine, get rid of her and save urself some money -- oh and offer free immigration for people with the surname Hockey, just for a laugh, lol go on you know you want to!!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
God Save the Queen

God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
Scatter thine enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen.

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: RE: Refusing Royal Assent

Daz_Hockey said:
I dunno, the queen didnt have any say when Tony Blair decided to wag the dog and go to war with the US, which I think is completely wrong, and probably cost the life of my mate in the underground bombings of 7/7.

So really if you think about it, who actually is the one with the power?....it's all the MP's across the globe, high on that list being that idiot Tony.

Canada's a big country, if you remove the GG, it wont be like the US, I really do tire of them going on about the "tyranical" english, which we all know is frankly wrong, as an aussie mate of mine said "colonialism was the in thing then, and to be honest, if you chose anyone, it would be England, the rest were far far worse", I've been to canada (and wanna come back soon), your nothing like the US, ok this is generalised, but it comes down to the type of people, you'll fine, get rid of her and save urself some money -- oh and offer free immigration for people with the surname Hockey, just for a laugh, lol go on you know you want to!!

I totally agree..

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
BLIMEY!!! Someone knows the FULL (second and third verse) version of the english national anthem......

you do realise most English people dont know it, me for sure, consider yourself more knowledgable than the average joe walking the streets of southampton, or london etc....or it could mean your a bit too much of a zealot

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It might also mean I know how to use the internet to my advantage too. :wink:

Lotuslander

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Vancouver
Wednesday's Child wrote:

[/b
]But isn't it a bit expensive having to pay for a "maintenance supervisor" for your elected officials????

Don't you remeber the last Parliament? We should have paid double and got a babysitter at the same time to help control all the shananigans, shouting, catcalling etc.. that nearly drowned out debate inside the Commons.

Lotuslander

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Vancouver
Even if evidence was discovered which the GG would have to act upon wouldn't the Queen still have to be brought into the picture rather than giving the "power" to the GG? - Wednesday's Child[/b]

Not at all. By letters patent in 1947 all functions of the Crown were transferred to the Governor General except some very specific powers such as appointing extra senators. Interestingly, when the Queen was last here in May and it looked as if the Government might fall there was considerable debate as to whether the Queen or her Governor General would disolve Parliament. In fact that power would be the sole responsibility of the Governor General even though the Queen was in Canada, it could have been a very sticky ordeal indeed. So I guess the moral of the story is Belinda saved us from a possible constitutional crisis.

I believe even if the PM had asked the Queen for a dissolution at the time the Queen would have just asked the GG to do so. It is unclear as to what would have happened if the GG had refused dissolution. Martin in theory could have asked the Queen who would be obliged to act on the advice of her Prime Minister.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Lotuslander - thanks for that

I am beginning to see the importance of the job. I thought it was merely traditional, but it functions as the eyes and ears of the Queen and not just as a communicator but as an advisor as well.

If the government did "fall" as you say - would an interim government be set in place, or does the government remain UNTIL replaced...or ? I mean who's minding the store.

I was trying to apply it to the way the U.S. system is set up and I can't find anything applicable (although they could use someone with a whip I think)... Even when there is a State of the Union address or an event where the total government elected officials, and cabinet and judiciary are assembled there is always one "dead man out".... located elsewhere out of harm's way in order to run the country if some disaster took place.

When I lived in Canada I cared nothing for the government or politics or whatever.....I paid my taxes and insurance plans and
voted with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever, generally following my family's wishes.

I am ashamed that I knew so little, because the internet has created an interest for me....when I have been trying to learn the U.S. government for my own needs, now I am also learning about Canadian government as well....(am trying I mean).

I hope the forums like this and the internet have created an interest for people in their government - there is no reason to be without knowledge when it is so available without having to make a trip to the library or bookstore.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Governor General

There are many citizens of Canada who have no idea what the role of Her Excellency is, in relation to our own country! She serves as the Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Armed Forces, the Chancellor of the Order of Canada, the Principal Companion of the Order of Canada, and the second-to-last failsafe against tyrannical legislation shoved through the Houses of Parliament.

Unlike the United States, our Order of Precedence works differently; for example, if the Prime Minister were to be incapacitated, the next person on the Precedence paper does not become acting-Prime Minister — but rather, a new appointment is immediately made at the discretion of the Governor General.

If the Governor General is incapacitated, we have failsafes; we have the Chief Justice, her Puisne Justices, and then any Justice down the line until we have none left, in which case the Queen would theoretically retain certain powers to ensure that our Government would be sustained upon her emergency appointments.

Canada is a system of back-ups; our Government cannot be disassembled in times of insurgency or emergency. We have a failsafe in terms of inappropriate legislation, as deemed by the people of Canada, who could without much effort appeal en masse to Her Excellency to withhold her consent to legislation; and even with her consent, Her Majesty reserves the right, as per our Constitution Acts, to veto Statutes of Canada within two years of their passage!

Back-up, back-up, back-up.

I am quite happy that we have these reserved institution in the events of exigent circumstances.