Redrawing Canada

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
The topic of redefining the federal government is often discussed. However, a topic that would directly affect the structure of a new government structure is rarely touched. That topic is the provincial/territorial boundaries.

If you were to start over and create new juristicons within canada, what would be your new "map"? Why?

Do you think that the increase in government is worth the cost to provide smaller geographic regions (mapping more like the maritimes), or do you suggest larger geographic regions that risk being less representative yet reduce the number of governments (more like the west)? Do you see the fact that the majority of the populace lives close to the southern border as reason to consider dividing the territories more in line with smaller south, larger north territories? How many provinces/territories would you create.

The most recent talk I recall hearing on any border changes involved the north-west portion of Ontario becoming part of Manitoba. Other discussions have suggested larger provinces, such as BC and the Yukon (along with the Rockies of Alberta) merging to form one province.

So what would you do, and how is it a reflection of the political structure you think would best provide an open equal democracy?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
It is interesting what you propose.

I think maybe the three northern territories should mold together into one called Nunavut, with other Aboriginal agreements holding water in the territory where indicated, and making it a province.

cyberclark

Electoral Member
Join the guy next door has been prevelant for the last 20 years mostly in communities who are near or on the border to a province that appears to be better off.

The boundry could be re defined by overhauling the Canadian Electroial Act making it more representative.

Alberta has most the power in the rural seats. From a political stand point that is good as it costs very little to maintain the Government good guy profile in thoes areas!

When Harper starts opening Health Acts and so on I hope he goes with his word and overhaults this one too!

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Labrador would be happy.

Now adays you wouldn't be able to change the provinces.

But around about 1905, or before they should have agreed to this and made a ton of small little provinces that would have no voice, like the maritimes for instance.

The Gunslinger

Electoral Member
May 12, 2005
Wetaskiwin, AB
But the problem is that they made the provinces too big. I think Confederation was very poorly executed. Now we have really big provinces who basiclly have all the say, and very small provinces who have virtually no say. And your right, the collective meories of our provinces are so ingrained into us, that I doubt we could shift borders.

Colin

Jun 20, 2005
I think equal say would be a very positive thing, dispite fear that we would become the United States, I've never met a Canadian that wanted be become America. When I say equal I don't just mean for the bigg'uns either.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
one of the other issues with large provinces is they tend to not accuractly represent all their people equally. For example, the interests of the Peace area of BC vary greatly from the interests of the Lower Mainland.

One of the strange differences between east and west is that if PEI can be a province, than so should Vancouver Island.

Good post Gunslinger. The old prarie territories were quite interesting, and there were a number of different proposals on how to redraw the territories.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Jersay said:
I do think Vancouver Island and some parts of the mainland would be good as their own province.

Ha, you mean our own country! Lotusland. Our motto, "We just don't care. We are far too laid back for that sort of thing."

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
the caracal kid said:
The topic of redefining the federal government is often discussed. However, a topic that would directly affect the structure of a new government structure is rarely touched. That topic is the provincial/territorial boundaries.

If you were to start over and create new juristicons within canada, what would be your new "map"? Why?

Do you think that the increase in government is worth the cost to provide smaller geographic regions (mapping more like the maritimes), or do you suggest larger geographic regions that risk being less representative yet reduce the number of governments (more like the west)? Do you see the fact that the majority of the populace lives close to the southern border as reason to consider dividing the territories more in line with smaller south, larger north territories? How many provinces/territories would you create.

The most recent talk I recall hearing on any border changes involved the north-west portion of Ontario becoming part of Manitoba. Other discussions have suggested larger provinces, such as BC and the Yukon (along with the Rockies of Alberta) merging to form one province.

So what would you do, and how is it a reflection of the political structure you think would best provide an open equal democracy?

I dunno I think we should be fine the way it is. I know we have very large provinces which tend to be underpopulated, but as our population grows we will be able to fill them out better. 2 problems I see though, the northern half of western provinces (BC,AB,SK,MB), and the Canadian north. It is a good bet that these parts will never be populated (at least in our lifetime), and I doubt that the provinces would want to give up the resources they have from the northern regions. Same goes for the north.

Redrawing Canada like the US with the 50 states would not work simply because our population is so small. I mean even provinces as big as Sask and Manitoba that take up massive space, still have tiny populations. Even Alberta and BC are very underpopulated, if Alberta had a population of 10 million we would still be underpopulated by world standards.

Lotuslander

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
Vancouver
The Gunslinger wrote:

[/b
] the problem is that they made the provinces too big. I think Confederation was very poorly executed. Now we have really big provinces who basiclly have all the say, and very small provinces who have virtually no say.

One has to remember that when Confederation happened both Quebec and Ontario were much smaller, as well the Maritime Provinces had larger populations viv a vis Quebec and Ontario.

I am not sure if I agree that most Provinces are too big at the moment to be "functional", though I can understand why some in Northern Ontario or more remote locations feel isolated form their own provincial power centres. For all those who feel central Canada has too much power then perhaps the time has come to split Ontario into two or more parts along with Northern Quebec, Labrador, Cape Breton and other territories. Vancouver Isld of course was an independent colony until Sir james Douglas was appointed Governor of BC (he was already Governor of the Isld) at first they were administered separately but, eventually Sir James got tired of the commute to New Westminster or Langley and had Victoria proclaimed the Capital of a United Colony. cape Breton of course was also a separate colony from Nova Scotia but in 1820 it was reunited (again) with the mainland.

I'm sure if you asked the peoples of Cape Breton, Vancouver Island, Northern Ontario, Ungava(northern Quebec) and Labrador if they wanted to be their own provinces or Territores all would agree. Though I have only anecdotal evidence to base my theory on.