Recycling Prairie Style

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
do you guys recycle? buddy lives in edmonton, and nothing gets recycled in the 'burbs....is this true everywhere or just in the one red neck town?

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
vanni i am serious! do you guys really, or are you just giving me a load? on the island everything is recycled, and everyone recycles....even bodies! ha! i am interested to see whether it's just buddies interpretation and downright hate of the city that is causing these nasty comments.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Recycling Prairie Sty

We have two blue boxes here, galiano. A compost heap too. I'm not sure what the situation is in the small towns, but all of the larger centres have some sort of recycling.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
thanks vanni, i knew i could get the run down from ya....yeah, buddies just another misplaced westcoaster bitching about having to live in edmonton. gawd help us! i don't think i can take another call about a)weather; b) red necks; c)lack of 'good' health food stores; d) ram trucks!

not necessarily in that order either!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
My husband is from Manitoba and they are born to recycle. For example if the muffler has a hole in it, the can of peas you had for supper will be part of the muffler before breakfast. He re-built his old Ford Truck from can goods, mention a mechanic and he hits the pantry looking for parts. I was amazed at the things Prairie People think up and re-use. Cheers.

Sassylassie said:
My husband is from Manitoba and they are born to recycle. For example if the muffler has a hole in it, the can of peas you had for supper will be part of the muffler before breakfast. He re-built his old Ford Truck from can goods, mention a mechanic and he hits the pantry looking for parts. I was amazed at the things Prairie People think up and re-use. Cheers.

Yep... that seems to be the rule... :lol:

Jo

May 10, 2006
England
Can someone set me straight here *S*. I have an Aunt in Portaige La Prairie. reading some of these posts, there seems to be more than one Prairie, correct ? Not good with the geo I'm afraid. Any answers ?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: RE: Recycling Prairie Style

Jo said:
Can someone set me straight here *S*. I have an Aunt in Portaige La Prairie. reading some of these posts, there seems to be more than one Prairie, correct ? Not good with the geo I'm afraid. Any answers ?

The Provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are the Prairies. I don't know why they say it plural, it's one big piece of real estate.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know where in Edmonton your "buddy" lives, but we recycle everything!! My family has way less garbage that goes to the dump! For bigger items, there are recycle bins all over the city! In fact, I believe the Edmonton was either the first or one of the first cities in Canada to introduce recyling because of landfill problems. So I don't know where your buddy gets off saying that there is no recycling because that's simply not true.

JMO

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Rural area here. We have a transfer station not too far away and we recycle corrugated cardboard, other cardboards, newspaper, general paper, glass, general plastics, milk jugs, and metal cans there. I have a friend with a recycling business, so my old tvs, can openers, old wiring, steel, copper, aluminum, etc. go to his place.
Compost goes outside and the chickens pick through it while the remainder gets heaped for the worms.
What little is left is garbage and I flatten it with the cat and bury it.