Recipe Screw Ups .... and fixes

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The only thing a microwave does, is excite (ie heat up) the water molecules. By vibrating them directly. As opposed to normal heating, where ALL of the food heats up by conduction / convection heat transfer.

It doesn't 'change' the makeup of the food, or cause your lawnmower to eat gravel, or any other bizarre theories.

PS - I'll try to copy the maple pie recipe.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
My oven at the cottage is an old one and I tried to cook a roast beef and Yorkshire pudding but the temps weren't right and the veggies were hard, the beef was rare and the yorkshire was flat......:oops:

Needless to say I bought a new oven the next day.;-)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The only thing a microwave does, is excite (ie heat up) the water molecules. By vibrating them directly. As opposed to normal heating, where ALL of the food heats up by conduction / convection heat transfer.

It doesn't 'change' the makeup of the food, or cause your lawnmower to eat gravel, or any other bizarre theories.

PS - I'll try to copy the maple pie recipe.

Does this sound like it?

maple syrup pie

Gourmet | November 1999
Restaurant Aux Anciens Canadiens, Quebec, Canada

Tarte au Sirop d' Érable
"My husband and I had an absolutely fantastic dessert at Restaurant Aux Anciens Canadiens while on vacation in Quebec, Canada," Says Deb Kalikow of Natick, Massachusetts. "Maple syrup pie served with crème fraîche is its specialty. The pie capped off a perfect dinner of delicious French-Canadian dishes. We ate at another restaurant the next night and tried the maple syrup pie there. We were so disappointed by our first bites that we then went back to Aux Anciens Canadiens and waited an hour just to have another piece of their pie."
Don't be tempted to forgo the cream with this pie; it perfectly complements the dessert's rich silkiness and balances the sweetness.

Active time: 25 min Start to finish: 2 1/2 hr
Servings: Serves 8 to 10 (8-inch pie).

subscribe to Gourmet

Ingredients

Pastry dough
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup pure maple syrup (preferably dark amber)
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted Accompaniment: crème fraîche or unsweetened whipped cream

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out dough into an 11-inch round on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin and fit into an 8-inch (3-cup) glass pie plate. Trim excess dough and crimp edges decoratively.
Whisk together brown sugar and eggs until creamy. Add cream, syrup, and butter, then whisk until smooth. Pour filling into pie shell.
Bake pie in lower third of oven until pastry is golden and filling is puffed and looks dry but still trembles, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool on a rack to room temperature (filling will set as pie cools).