Rainy days in Manitoba

jacques2p

Jan 17, 2005
Winnipeg
Hi all

I would like to know if anyone can help me find a site where they would have the number of rainy days we had in Manitoba last year (summer of 2004).

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Jacques

jacques2p

Jan 17, 2005
Winnipeg
Hi all

I would like to know if anyone can help me find a site where they would have the number of rainy days we had in Manitoba last year (summer of 2004).

Thanks in advance..

Jacques

jacques2p

Jan 17, 2005
Winnipeg
Hi all

Thanks in advance..

Jacques

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Rainy days in Manitob

Environment Canada keeps track of information like that, Jacques. You might have to do the math yourself, but the data can be found here.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Last year sucked. The potatoes rotted in the ground and the tomatoes never produced. I've never seen a garden that couldn't produce potatoes or tomatoes before.

This year is looking better so far. A little late, but it seems to be catching up now.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I've been thinking that I should see if the World Weekly News needs a Manitoba correspondent. I'm not sure if my PhotoShop skills are up to snuff though. ;-)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Are you kidding? This is the place that invented BatBoy and had actual pictures of the angel those duck hunters shot. I generally just adjust the colour and the contrast and maybe crop a little...they invent new creatures.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It's raining, damn it. And thundering. Tommorrow is supposed to be the same. I wanna go see the snakes, but they won't be out if it's like this. Cold-blooded animals don't get too active when it's cloudy.

This sucks.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It's raining sideways. Zeke, the white fluffy dog, is black from the ears down. Alex, the tailess cat, looks like a drowned rat. The dirt I put on the front lawn is running onto the sidewalk like a lava flow.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I wish it would rain here...sideways...frontways, anyway will do.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It's so wet here that septic tanks in the Interlake are apparently popping right out of the ground. Now there's a shitty deal to wake up to.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

We have ditches again. We didn't have ditches when I first woke up. We also didn't have much of a road. We had a river, that's what we had. Then the power went out for about an hour even though the storm was long gone.

I left my truck windows open. I bet it's a little damp in there.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

This is kind of old news here, No 1. The expansion has been a de facto go for over a year now. The deal is being finalised, but it was going to happen anyway.

I kind of wonder about these people out of town. Does it really matter if your house is flooded halfway up the first story or all the way to the rooftops? By the time the water recedes you need a new house anyway.

We saw that happen in 1997 and, since the insurance companies won't sell flood protection here, there was government compensation for most who had their homes damaged.

If you drove down St. Mary's road south of the city, you saw a lot of older homes built more or less at the same level as the road. If you drive the same way now, you see a lot of new, very nice homes built up on hills.

Small towns are protected by dikes and those dikes have been improved since 1997.

That leaves farms, most of which have either rebuilt their houses and equipment sheds on higher ground or built dikes around their yards. The floodway improvement won't hurt these places, it just won't help them. Short of building a floodway the entire length of the province, nothing will. We live in a dried up lakebed.