Racial profiling?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Racial profiling?

Caleb-Dain Matton said:
As for the second part, I'm sure it is quite common and sad at the same time. It reminds me of how Canada treated the Japanese during WWII.

You would be a whole lot sadder if the Japanese had invaded Canada.

And you claim to study history? What does it say about the historian when viewing history with a contemporary eye? Uhm......a historian with an agenda?

:idea:

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006

wallyj said:
Getting back to racial profiling. If my store is held up three times and it is all by crackheads,should I pay more attention to crackheads entering or treat them the same as that woman with the baby carriage? The crackheadsof course. Profiling is a tool no matter if it is the criteria is race,weight,height,dress etc.People who would treat all the same are deluding themselves and possibly killing innocent civilians. Maybe even ones that aren't white. What a tragedy that would be.

We all profile. Whether by race, religion, age or attitude we all do it. Is there a young white woman in the land that doesn't hold her purse tighter when passing by a group of young blacks in Toronto? Is there a homeowner who doesn't ignore the door when he's seen Jehovah's Witnesses canvassing the street? Is there a business owner who doesn't pay more attention as three kids enter his convenience store? Profiling is a product of human intelligence. Poopooing it is a product of cultural conditioning.

I think there is a difference between your examples and the case that is the subject of this thread. The difference is that paying extra attention to someone in your store does not pose any inconvenience to that person. If a person wants to keep a close eye on a teenager in their store, that is their right. However, it is wrong for someone to be arrested and held in custody just because they are stereotyped by their race, age, religion etc. when someone else doing the exact same suspicious activity would not be arrested (I'm not saying that's what happened in this case).

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
The next time I get on an airplane I'll feel safer knowing the 25-year-old Muslim was searched with more vigor than my dear old mom. But then again, that's just my silly common sense not giving way to poiltical correctness.

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org

I think not said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:
As for the second part, I'm sure it is quite common and sad at the same time. It reminds me of how Canada treated the Japanese during WWII.

What does Pearl Harbor have to do with Japanese living in Canada? They didn't represent Japan's attack. Think before you write. That's exactly the attitude of racism. Blunt and dumb.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

athabaska said:
The next time I get on an airplane I'll feel safer knowing the 25-year-old Muslim was searched with more vigor than my dear old mom. But then again, that's just my silly common sense not giving way to poiltical correctness.

The world isn't just about you. Last I checked you weren't the centre of the universe.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Kreskin said:
athabaska said:

The world isn't just about you. Last I checked you weren't the centre of the universe.

Unless you live in Toronto? :p :D

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

Caleb-Dain Matton said:
I think not said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

What does Pearl Harbor have to do with Japanese living in Canada? They didn't represent Japan's attack. Think before you write. That's exactly the attitude of racism. Blunt and dumb.

Who said anything about Pearl Harbor? The Japanese in Canada were Japanese, how they were "treated" is the usual bullshit you hear from the left. It was war, bad things happen in war. Canada did what had to be done to protect itself in World War.

Oh yeah and don't call me a racist again, you hateful prick.

Caleb-Dain Matton

Electoral Member
Jun 14, 2006
Sarnia, Ontario
www.commondreams.org

I think not said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:
I think not said:
Caleb-Dain Matton said:

Who said anything about Pearl Harbor? The Japanese in Canada were Japanese, how they were "treated" is the usual bullshit you hear from the left. It was war, bad things happen in war. Canada did what had to be done to protect itself in World War.

Oh yeah and don't call me a racist again, you hateful prick.

I don't think it would be right if the US was invaded by Morons from overseas and rounded you up for detainment in a concentration camp. That would be unfair!

BTW, where did I directly call you a racist? I said attitudes of stereotypes lead towards racism. What are you hiding besides paranoia?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Profiling, despite the politically correct ninnies who will happily spend your tax dollars just so their agenda supersedes your own, comes with any job or station in life. It's up to the people involved to make sure it's applied sensitively and sensibly.

Liz

Nominee Member
Aug 9, 2006
Newfoundland

Caleb-Dain Matton said:
tamarin said:
Profiling is a product of human intelligence.

I would argue its learned behaviour before intelligence. Humans refuese to use intelligence. Someone intelligent combats stereotypes.

Intelligent people have some sense of self preservation. It is an instinct to profile. Stereotypes are always founded by something. They are GENERALIZATIONS. We all generalize about almost everything we do. I use intelligence and I am human. Are you saying ALL humans refuse to use intelligence?? Or are you GENERALIZING about them? Unfortunately negative stereotypes hurt the individuals that don't fit them.

You could have the cutest, kindest, sweetest venemous snake in the world and I would still be leary of it. A part of every one of us sees a snake as a snake.

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
8O Wow, I'm probably going to be ducking stones after posting in this thread, but I've put on my Xena suit and am going in ... (BTW ... I am posting as a member, NOT as staff ... I won't be moderating this thread) ...

This is my opinion. I'm sure I could Google studies and come up with all sorts of "facts" to back them, but truth is you can find info to back pretty much any point of view from logical to nutso. The thing I most enjoy about forums is hearing opinions.

ITN ... I'm with you on this one, you big ole racist. ;) I freely confess, without shame, that I do find myself racially profiling people. Would I be more comfortable getting on a plane with a bevvy of Irish nuns than a group of Middle Eastern, male tourists? You betcha. It wasn't nuns or bunny huggers that flew planes into the Twin Towers.

Common sense and experience tell me that there are certain people whom I wish to avoid. Yes, if I see a JWitness coming to my door, I either duck out or prepare some preposterous story about being a devil worshipper ... and yes, it's based entirely on religious affiliation. That's biggotry. Period. But I stand by my right to treat strangers according to my experience with them.

On the flip side of all that, I'm not racist or biggoted on a personal, one on one level. I love talking to people of different cultures, faiths or lifestyles, learning how they think and why they believe as they do. Out of this, I have been able to arrive at some generalizations about certain groups of people. I call it educated opinion, but it could be called racism.

Irish folks are prone to drink. It's true. *shrug* I'm half Irish, I know. Cultural labels are often tacked onto people for good reason. Middle Eastern folks did some bad things on 911. It wasn't the Mormons out of Utah or the Jamaican gangs out of Toronto ... we know who did the dead. Is it fair to colour an entire culture by their extremists?

Ya, I think it is. Cultures spawn repeating characteristics in their peoples. That doesn't mean every single Canadian is polite and says "eh", but damn, you'll find that is frequently true. Frequently enough to be used to profile us.

If one sees a what appears to be a gang of young people on a corner, they're way more likely to cross the street than they would be if it were a flock of Hari Krishnas. Experience and survival instinct serve us well. We would be foolish to ignore it.

If people of a certain culture, say Middle Eastern, are going to travel by plane, they have to expect they will be looked at more carefully than the Jewish grandmother in line behind them. Is it fair? Nope. Is it prudent? Yes! I have yet to meet a Middle Eastern person I didn't enjoy talking to. I find the culture fascinating. It's unfortunate that they all get tarred with the same brush because of the actions of a group of extremists, but that's life.

Reality is that I'm more likely to be mugged by a crackhead than a computer geek earning $100 K a year so if I'm walking alone at night, I'm going to be far more wary of the former than the latter. It's fine to be politically correct, honourable to take the time to learn about other people on an individual basis, but it's foolish to be so invested in it that you put yourself in harm's way.

Ok ... I'm going to duck and cover now. ;)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Caleb-Dain Matton said:
Remember people, that if ALL people profile as you claim, there are then two sides to this coin: I'm sure Middle Easterns duck when they see Texan hillbillies with low IQ's come around.

How exactly would someone identify "Texan hillbillies with low IQ's"?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Hey, Caleb! I see the Ontario government has decided to do some serious racial profiling today. Appalled that recently released AIDS figures reveal the nation's black community has about 1% of the Canadian population but over 16% of the country's recorded infections, the health ministry has targeted the province's black community members for an AIDS awareness campaign.
Damn bigots!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Well I'm a white guy and flew a week ago and I practically had to moon the security people to get in. Shoes off, belt off, the whole bit. If they aren't doing that with everyone, no matter what race, gender or nationality, I'd be ticked. If nuns aren't going to be checked then the next set of terrorists will show up in nun outfits. Never judge a book by its cover. Con artists play the game well.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

tamarin said:
Hey, Caleb! I see the Ontario government has decided to do some serious racial profiling today. Appalled that recently released AIDS figures reveal the nation's black community has about 1% of the Canadian population but over 16% of the country's recorded infections, the health ministry has targeted the province's black community members for an AIDS awareness campaign.
Damn bigots!

Will they mention the C word or will it be a "just say no" campaign?