prime rib

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Hi Talloola

A prime rib or standing rib is one of the best beef roasts to buy. I don't know how big your roast is but it is probably around three or four pounds. I would pre-heat oven to 325 dgrees and roast for about twenty five minutes per pound. If the roast is smaller, cook for thirty minutes per pound. If it is bigger, cook for twenty minutes per pound or less but you can insert a sharp knife close to the middle of the roast and see how much red comes out. I don't usually like my roast blood rare but I do like it a bit pink in the middle. Small roasts don't usually give much in the way of drippings so have a can of Campbell's beef broth handy to help with the gravy, or a jar of "Better than Bullion"

Good Luck...................................................Wayne

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hi Talloola

A prime rib or standing rib is one of the best beef roasts to buy. I don't know how big your roast is but it is probably around three or four pounds. I would pre-heat oven to 325 dgrees and roast for about twenty five minutes per pound. If the roast is smaller, cook for thirty minutes per pound. If it is bigger, cook for twenty minutes per pound or less but you can insert a sharp knife close to the middle of the roast and see how much red comes out. I don't usually like my roast blood rare but I do like it a bit pink in the middle. Small roasts don't usually give much in the way of drippings so have a can of Campbell's beef broth handy to help with the gravy, or a jar of "Better than Bullion"

Good Luck...................................................Wayne

When one orders prime rib in a restaurant it comes sliced
thick, and so tender and juicy it melts in your mouth, that
is how I want to cook it, do they do something different?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When one orders prime rib in a restaurant it comes sliced
thick, and so tender and juicy it melts in your mouth, that
is how I want to cook it, do they do something different?

No. Three twenty five is probably optimum. If you have a meat thermometer use an internal temp of 140 degrees. It will be great.....:smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Good luck with that roast though you shouldn't need it.

PS Get your butcher to give you a couple slabs of fat to lay on top of the roast while it is cooking. Otherwise just roast with the fat side up.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Don't forget the Yorkshire pudding and hot horseradish!!

no yorkie or horse biscuits, oh, I mean radish, we'll have
mashed potatoes, two fresh veggies.

no bread either, that way we can eat more meat, have to
trade off, so we won't overeat.

I should also substitute mashed potatoes with yams, which
are healthier, but I'm not, the irish in me demands the
mashed potatoes.

and we'll have the dessert tomorrow, lol

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Mashed potatoes eh................Hmmm

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You are right, juan, it has to be roasted potatos.

If I bought the roast it likely would be roast potatoes. The reason I brought up roast potatoes is that Save on had the tiny little new potatoes on at a pretty good price and I would put a few good, big, handfuls of those all around the roast for the last forty minutes of of cooking the roast. I would roll them around in the drippings so they were all coated.

We're having pizza tonight and watching the Olympic hockey...I'd rather have Tall's roast.;-)

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
If I bought the roast it likely would be roast potatoes. The reason I brought up roast potatoes is that Save on had the tiny little new potatoes on at a pretty good price and I would put a few good, big, handfuls of those all around the roast for the last forty minutes of of cooking the roast. I would roll them around in the drippings so they were all coated.

We're having pizza tonight and watching the Olympic hockey...I'd rather have Tall's roast.;-)
I'm having home made pizza tonight too... :smile:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
OK, the dinner is finished and the roast was awsome, so
juicy and tender, and full of flavour.

we had yams, and peas, and no gravy, just the drippings,
and we will have seconds tomorrow.

thanks juan, we are enjoying a nice glass of red wine,
and watching hockey, but flipping channels back and forth,
to other hockey games, and also olympics, no lack of tv
entertainment tonight, and who wants to go out anyway,
the weather is 'dirty'.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Try this:

http://www.whisperingmeadows.ca/articles/cooking-beef-roasts.html

I tried it as described above at Christmas, but at 250F not 350. It took about twice as long to cook (about 5-6 hours), but it was extremely juicy, not dried out at all and evenly cooked. But you will need a meat thermometer... That's critical as its hard to tell when its done.

The roast is done when the temperature in the center of the roast reaches 120°F to 125°F, (49°C to 52°C) for rare, 130°F to 140°F (55°C to 60°C) for medium rare, 145°F to 150°F (63°C to 66°C) for medium, and 155°F to 165°F (68°C to 74°C) for well done (Note: 120° is a pretty rare roast).

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Try this:

http://www.whisperingmeadows.ca/articles/cooking-beef-roasts.html

I tried it as described above at Christmas, but at 250F not 350. It took about twice as long to cook (about 5-6 hours), but it was extremely juicy, not dried out at all and evenly cooked. But you will need a meat thermometer... That's critical as its hard to tell when its done.

The roast is done when the temperature in the center of the roast reaches 120°F to 125°F, (49°C to 52°C) for rare, 130°F to 140°F (55°C to 60°C) for medium rare, 145°F to 150°F (63°C to 66°C) for medium, and 155°F to 165°F (68°C to 74°C) for well done (Note: 120° is a pretty rare roast).

thanks, got it