Preparing to Remember

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Royal Family of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Canada, will commemorate the dead of war on and around Remembrance Day, 2006. The commemoration of lives lost will begin on the ninth, with His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh P.C., P.C., K.G., K.T., O.M., G.B.E., O.A., Q.S.O., will meet with veterans as His Royal Highness opens the Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey.

On the twelfth, at the Cenotaph, Her Majesty The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, and other members of the Royal Family are to attend the Remembrance Day service. It seems particularly fitting that citizens in the United Kingdom and Canada should be remembering the dead of war and reflecting upon the causes and consequences of the massive conflicts of our past, given the recent deaths of so many members of the Canadian Forces.

Our Earth has had a bloody past, and I am not convinced that we're not going to see battles of the same ferocity in the future—but here's to hoping that our present conflicts, be they in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan or elsewhere, never reach the levels that our conflicts in past situations had ascended to. It is important, perhaps now more than ever, to seek a way to resolve our issues without resorting to the sword—or, at least, to be damned sure then when we unsheate that sword, we're entirely understanding and supportive of the reasons for doing so. In war, there is no room for mistakes or misunderstanding.

Sources
1. Click here for the Web site of the Royal Family of Canada (► article).

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I just was at the funeral for an old soldier Thursday. The father of a friend of mine, he lost his left hand in combat in Korea. Well, he still had the last two fingers.....

I worked with him when we rebuilt their family's camp (REMOTE!), and had hunted and gone shooting with him. He got a little lit one night at the camp and told us war stories, including how he lost his hand.

They had a piper pipe him out at the end of the funeral, wasn't a dry eye in the place.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I just was at the funeral for an old soldier Thursday. The father of a friend of mine, he lost his left hand in combat in Korea. Well, he still had the last two fingers.....

I worked with him when we rebuilt their family's camp (REMOTE!), and had hunted and gone shooting with him. He got a little lit one night at the camp and told us war stories, including how he lost his hand.

They had a piper pipe him out at the end of the funeral, wasn't a dry eye in the place.
Lest We Forget.

Go in peace Troop.