Penn Jillette apologizes for saying being from Newfoundland 'a euphamism for stupid'

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Penn Jillette apologizes for saying being from Newfoundland 'a euphamism for stupid'
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Saturday, August 19, 2017 11:57 AM EDT | Updated: Saturday, August 19, 2017 11:14 PM EDT
LOS ANGELES — Celebrity magician Penn Jillette has apologized after Newfoundlanders took him to task for insulting their intelligence on a talk show.
Jillette, half of the comedic magic duo “Penn & Teller,” talked about his Newfoundland roots during an appearance on HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher” that aired Friday night.
“I’m probably from Newfoundland, which is just a euphemism for stupid,” Jillette told the host. “All of those people up in the frozen North that club seals, those are my people.”
Some Newfoundlanders used social media to complain about the remarks, and one Twitter user described the comment as “discriminatory.”
Jillette apologized to the Twitter user, and called the comment a failed attempt at self-deprecation.
“I’ve been (to Newfoundland) and loved everyone I met,” Jillette tweeted. “I was really stupid and out of line.”
Jillette’s apology didn’t satisfy comedian Mark Critch, a native Newfoundlander, who said on Twitter that until the magician learns about his heritage, he should act like his famously-silent partner Teller and “shut it”.
Jillette has also joked about “my people” on his podcast “Penn’s Sunday School,” saying when a person reveals they’re from Newfoundland, Canadians “just laugh at you.”
Watch Jillette's comments on Real Time with Bill Maher here (at approx 5:10)
The well-known skeptic also referenced his family’s origins in a passage of his book “God, No!” in which he reflects on the notion of identity.
“Being proud of some imaginary group you were born into seems insane and wrong,” wrote Jillette. “I went back to Newfoundland to see where my grandfather grew up, but I’m not a Newfoundland American.
“I’m Penn Jillette ... who didn’t even do well in Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey the Greatest Show on Earth Clown College.”
Penn Jillette apologizes for saying being from Newfoundland 'a euphamism for stu

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Libertarian slob......

Slide on up to the 5:25 mark......

Web Censorship, Sanctuary Cities, Gavin 4 Prez | Overtime with Bill Maher (HBO)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H1bu7ltCZs

Come from Away is a musical with book, music, and lyrics by Irene Sankoff and David Hein. It is set in the week following the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and tells the true story of what transpired when 38 planes were ordered to land unexpectedly in the small town of Gander, Newfoundland, as part of Operation Yellow Ribbon.

The characters in the musical are based on (and in most cases share the names of) real Gander residents as well as some of the 7,000 stranded travelers they housed and fed. The show has been received by audiences and critics as a cathartic reminder of the capacity for human kindness in even the darkest of times and the triumph of humanity over hate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_from_Away

Positive reviews from some of New York City’s most respected theatre critics for Come From Away, the Canadian musical inspired by post-Sept. 11 events, are creating the kind of buzz that leads to long runs and all-important Tony Award nominations.

The feel-good musical, about Newfoundlanders opening their homes to U.S. citizens stranded there when American air space was closed in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks, made its Broadway debut on Sunday night.

Bob Martin, who co-wrote and starred in The Drowsy Chaperone, the only real Canadian hit in Broadway history, said the reviews are “definitely good enough” to expect the show will get some serious love from Tony voters.

“There was a very strong review in the New York Times and that’s extremely important. Ben Brantley’s not easy to please,” said Martin, who in 2006 received a Tony nomination for best actor and won a Tony, along with Don McKellar, for best book of a musical.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/stage/2017/03/13/come-from-away-greeted-with-rave-reviews-in-new-york.html

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well DB I don't care if he's a Trump hater which has nothing to do with my anger.

I just hope that if the USA needs help again Nfld tells them to eff off.........

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
lol
I have to agree with that Tay...
( Best Newfie joke: Why are Newfie jokes so dumb?...so main landers can understand them!)

Though I suspect if there was trouble tomorrow, the Newfs would be on it just the same.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The funniest thing is that, for 95% of Canadians, Newfie was, in fact, a synonym for stupid for many years. Hence all the Newfie jokes.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The funniest thing is that, for 95% of Canadians, Newfie was, in fact, a synonym for stupid for many years. Hence all the Newfie jokes.

I've spent time up close and personal with Newfies and I even got to experience the last of their Outpost culture before it disappeared. "Newfie" to me, is a term of endearment although I would never call a Newfoundlander one to his/her face.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well DB I don't care if he's a Trump hater which has nothing to do with my anger.

I just hope that if the USA needs help again Nfld tells them to eff off.........

Me too but Newfies just aren't programed that way.

Stupid they ain't. But they do look at life differently.
Then again we think there is something genetically wrong with anyone that would willingly live in a city.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Multiculturalism is really making progress. Soon ill have to apologize for being white each time i walk into a room. It's going to be so beautiful.