Pancakes for breakfast....or whatever

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Pancakes have always been a favorite around our house. My daughter used to have three or four friends for a "sleepover", though I don't know when they actually slept. What I do know, is that I used to stand around making pancakes for an hour or more. I had a big cast iron frying pan that would only make a couple decent sized pancakes at a time. I have since acquired an electric griddle that will easily make six large pancakes at a time. Does anyone have a favorite pancake recipe?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oooo.... I love pancakes, but lack good recipes.

we typically just make the pancakes from Company's Coming's 'Muffins and More' book. Very basic recipe.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oooo.... I love pancakes, but lack good recipes.

we typically just make the pancakes from Company's Coming's 'Muffins and More' book. Very basic recipe.

Here is a recipe that I've used for many years:

Ingredients

two cups all purpose flour(could be half whole wheat flour)
one tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
two teaspoons sugar
one cup buttermilk--Buttermilk could be a cup of milk soured with a couple tablespoons of lemon juice.
three beaten eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

In a bowl mix together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder
Dump in three quarters of the buttermilk, eggs and the oil and mix with a spoon and stir
until everything is pretty well mixed. If batter is too thick add the rest of the buttermilk. If it is still too thick add a bit of water.

Now just cook your pancakes as usual.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Molasses....Of course,,,

The pancake recipe above is very versatile. Without adding anything else, a large banana can be sliced into the batter, (keep the slices an eighth of an inch thick or less) or a cup of fresh blueberries works well also.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My sister makes awesome pumpkin pancakes... I'll have to see if I can remember to grab the recipe when I talk to her next.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Molasses on pancakes? wow, I never would have thought of that...

I do prefer maple syrup on my pancakes...but I love molasses cookies...hmmm..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Molasses on pancakes? wow, I never would have thought of that...

I do prefer maple syrup on my pancakes...but I love molasses cookies...hmmm..

"Drenched" in molasses would not likely be exactly my preference, but I do like molasses. My favorite thing on pancakes is lots of real, unsalted, butter and maple syrup. When I was a kid I could eat six or seven large pancakes. My girth is bigger now but I can't eat more than two pancakes at a sitting today.....Strange...;-):smile:

Last edited:

Enforcer

Time Out
Feb 25, 2009
I usually just use the mix, seems fine to me.

.....but, a friend of mine in town where my cottage is has a sugar shack, all stainless steel (I'll get a picture of it) and the syrup that comes from it is like pure heaven. Yum.:cool:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I like dark corn syrup on my pancakes. I hate when my syrup soaks into the pancake. Maple syrup tastes good, but, it soaks in, which irrationally angers me. lol

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I used to make pancakes from the bisquick box recipe, but haven't made them for
years, but think I will make some tomorrow.
a) butter, lemon juice, and sprinkle sugar over top.(british style)
b) butter and maple syrup
c) butter and peanut butter on warm pancakes.
d) butter with two fried eggs on top
e) make a pancake sandwich with butter and bacon in the middle.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
"Drenched" in molasses would not likely be exactly my preference, but I do like molasses. My favorite thing on pancakes is lots of real, unsalted, butter and maple syrup. When I was a kid I could eat six or seven large pancakes. My girth is bigger but I can't eat that more than two pancakes at a sitting today.....Strange...;-):smile:

There is no subsitute for butter....I put butter on as well.

I had a weird experience the other day with a waffle. We'd made garlic butter the night before and a bit of the garlic butter managed to somehow make it's way onto the regular butter dish. I noticed an odd garlic taste on my waffles the next day. But...it actually tasted ok. It was just a little bit of garlic. Not a chunk, just some oil from the crushed bits..but who'd have thought it would taste ok with Maple syrup on waffles.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Swedish pancakes are very good, very moist, and thinner, and rich.

hmmm, I may need you to provide the recipe in order to test your theory...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
SWEDISH PANCAKES - flour - 1 1/2 cups, salt, 1tsp., sugar 2 tsps., eggs, well beaten 3, milk 3 cups,
butter melted, 3 tblsp.
sift dry ingred.
to beaten eggs add milk and melted butter, pour into flour mixture and stir until
combined.

Will make 8 large pancakes.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One of my favorites is potato pancakes:

• 4 medium potatoes (or 2 large)
  • 1 medium onion
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons oil (or lard)*
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • a good pinch salt
Peel and coarsely grate the onion. Grate the potatoes and mix with the onion. Add the eggs, flour and salt and stir well together.
Heat a heavy frypan over medium/high heat, add the oil and spoon in about 4 tablespoons of the mixture. Pat it down as thick as a hotcake and when the edges are brown and crisp, flip it over and cook the other side. Eat them hot with apple sauce and/or sour cream. They are very good with breakfast sausages or bacon as well.

* I prefer to use my non-stick electric griddle but either way works just fine.

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
Yam pancakes, would probably work with pumpkin, too.

* 1 cup pureed sweet potato (or pumpkin)
* 3 egg yolks
* 1 cup milk
* 1 1/2 cups flour
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 tablespoon white sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 cup chopped pecans
* 3 egg whites
* 3 tablespoons butter, melted
* 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped

DIRECTIONS

1. Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and 1/4 cup pecans.
2. Mix sweet potato puree, egg yolks, and milk in a large bowl until well combined. Add flour mixture, and mix well.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into batter. Lightly fold remaining whites and melted butter into the batter.
4. Cook in a hot waffle iron or skillet. Garnish with more chopped pecans.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
My mother used to make thin crepes rolled up with lemon juice and sugar. Yum. I sure wish I had the recipe!

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
"Drenched" in molasses would not likely be exactly my preference, but I do like molasses. My favorite thing on pancakes is lots of real, unsalted, butter and maple syrup. When I was a kid I could eat six or seven large pancakes. My girth is bigger but I can't eat more than two pancakes at a sitting today.....Strange...;-):smile:

Maple syrup and butter for sure. Molasses doesn't belong on a pancake....