#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
excellent, I just bought some peaches yesterday, warmed them up this morning,
peeled, and sliced, mixed with a little maple syrup and blue berries, and put
them on top of mashed banana, which was on top of our porridge, then granola
on top of everything.
the remainder of the peaches will go on top of pancakes, along with more
blueberries and maple syrup, I am drooling as we speak.
I'm off now, to the store for bacon, no sausages, there is a limit juan.;-)

Well, that sounds good except for the mashed banana on top of the porridge. In the warmer weather bananas don't keep that well and some mornings you can squeeze the banana out of it's skin like toothpaste. In that situation I would prefer nice fresh sliced bananas with the peaches. It's nit-picking I know but it might as well be perfect....;-):lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well, that sounds good except for the mashed banana on top of the porridge. In the warmer weather bananas don't keep that well and some mornings you can squeeze the banana out of it's skin like toothpaste. In that situation I would prefer nice fresh sliced bananas with the peaches. It's nit-picking I know but it might as well be perfect....;-):lol:

Juan I don't know what kind of bananas you nanaimoites have, but I don't have
any that just squeeze out of it's skin, and if one is a little too ripe, then it mashes real easy, and on it goes over the porridge, and it is eaten within minutes, so what's the fuss.
I originally started this recipe with sliced bananas, but one morning decided
to mash it, and 'never looked back, liked it better.
So, this is the order, porridge, ground flax and sesame seeds, mashed banana,
blue berries and peaches,(or rasperries),(drizzled with maple syrup),prune yogurt, (or other flav.), granola,(natures path, pumpkin-flax plus)& 2 or 3 walnut pieces, add milk.

Joe gets the empty porridge pot, with warm water added,( when stirred it loosens up many little pieces of oats), and I add a tiny bit, of each ingredient that we have on ours.
So, breakfast is very quiet for us, as we enjoy every bite, with the exception of the loud slurping that comes from the pot.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Joe gets the empty porridge pot, with warm water added,( when stirred it loosens up many little pieces of oats), and I add a tiny bit, of each ingredient that we have on ours.
So, breakfast is very quiet for us, as we enjoy every bite, with the exception of the loud slurping that comes from the pot.

That is funny. Our last dog was a German Shepherd and she ate just about anything, including jello.(any flavour) She would have eaten the bananas with the skin on.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
That is funny. Our last dog was a German Shepherd and she ate just about anything, including jello.(any flavour) She would have eaten the bananas with the skin on.

That's amazing, he won't eat the skins, but he is interesting to watch in the
backyard, as he picks/digs veggies,fruit. Strawberries, green beans, carrots,
potatoes, doesn't bother the corn, but we always save him a couple of rows
on our corns, and we hold it in front of him and he gnaws them off just like
we do.
He gently pulls carrots out of the ground, little pulls at a time so that he doesn't
break them.
My daughter calls him a bear, says that he would eat just like a bear, if he was
in the wild, she is right.
Joe would love Jello, and he also likes green salad, but not garlic.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
now that I've had to go gluten free, I eat rice meal pancakes - while it tastes good it doesn't fill you up like wheat cakes do -- how I wish I could eat those good old fashion flap jacks!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
now that I've had to go gluten free, I eat rice meal pancakes - while it tastes good it doesn't fill you up like wheat cakes do -- how I wish I could eat those good old fashion flap jacks!

What about oat flour? Can you have that?

Do you like maple syrup? Cause if you can get the grade b stuff it's got a stronger flavour and might help make those no so flap jacks taste more authentic.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I have tried oat flour and found it kinda bland. As I think about it, all-spice & vanilla might give it some kick and spike up the flavor - will give that a try.

Thanx for the recommendation.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Ah, oatmeal pancakes!

I mixed white rice/brown rice meal with oatmeal with a touch of leavening, vanilla, & honey.

The pancakes came out very fluffy & tasty as the oatmeal gave the rice mix a nutty flavor. Topped it off with a bit more honey & blackberry jam = yum!!!

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I just go down to the store and buy Aunt Jemima, Bisquick or Hungry Jack. Whatever's on sale. I don't put syrup on my pancakes though. I put a little butter, and strawberry jam. That's how I like em.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I just go down to the store and buy Aunt Jemima, Bisquick or Hungry Jack. Whatever's on sale. I don't put syrup on my pancakes though. I put a little butter, and strawberry jam. That's how I like em.

God! It's so easy to make pancakes from scratch, using a mix sounds a bit silly to me. I guess if you've done it for years, it becomes second nature.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
God! It's so easy to make pancakes from scratch, using a mix sounds a bit silly to me. I guess if you've done it for years, it becomes second nature.

Have you a recipe handy that you can type out here?

I remember when I first made yorkshire puddings from a recipe. I couldn't believe that they'd even both selling prepackaged mix! I'm gathering that pancakes are about that simple too then?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
if you don't want to use a pre-packaged mix, here's the basics on how to do home made pancakes:

[youtube]LWuuCndtJr0[/youtube]

As for me, I use gluten free flour, one T-spoon of leavening, no salt, maybe one T-spoon of honey, & a dash of vanilla (egg is not necessary but you do as you like best)

Nothing better for brekkie!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I should have added above that half & half, heavy cream, or butter milk is a good substitute for eggs in your pancakes. A couple of tablespoons or maybe even half a cup of any and it adds much flavor.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
we don't eat pancakes very often, so i've gone through many different recipes, they all seem
pretty good, swedish pancakes are good too, more like crepes.

i do have bisquik on hand, and i sometimes quickly mix up their recipe, which is delicious.

we probably have pancakes 3 times a year.

i also like them with butter, sugar and lemon, mmmmm delicious, i'm not really a syrop person.

jam is good, even peanut butter.

That's amazing, he won't eat the skins, but he is interesting to watch in the
backyard, as he picks/digs veggies,fruit. Strawberries, green beans, carrots,
potatoes, doesn't bother the corn, but we always save him a couple of rows
on our corns, and we hold it in front of him and he gnaws them off just like
we do.
He gently pulls carrots out of the ground, little pulls at a time so that he doesn't
break them.
My daughter calls him a bear, says that he would eat just like a bear, if he was
in the wild, she is right.
Joe would love Jello, and he also likes green salad, but not garlic.

i just re read my post from 2009, made me very sad, cause joe has been gone now for about
3 years, sure brought back memories.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
not to change the subject on anyone but here's a reminder that brekkie is often the most important meal of the day:

Importance of Healthy Breakfast: Why Skipping Is Harmful

Some people skip breakfast in an effort to lose weight, but that's not a good idea -- it can backfire.

Skipping meals, especially breakfast, can actually make weight control more difficult. Breakfast skippers tend to eat more food than usual at the next meal, or nibble on high-calorie snacks to stave off hunger.

Several studies suggest that people tend to add more body fat when they eat fewer, larger meals than when they eat the same number of calories in smaller, more frequent meals.

Why Kids Need Breakfast
While adults need to eat breakfast each day to perform their best, kids need it even more. Their growing bodies and developing brains need regular refueling often, from food. When kids skip breakfast, they don't get what they need to be at their best.

Short on time? Eating a wholesome, nutritious morning meal will probably save you time in the long run. By recharging the brain and body, you'll be more efficient in just about everything you do.

Interestingly, studies show that kids who skip breakfast are tardy and absent from school more often than children who eat breakfast on a regular basis. Preparing a good breakfast can be as quick and easy as splashing some milk over cereal, or making oatmeal or a healthy smoothie.

You could also consider enrolling your children in a school breakfast program, if possible, or pack a breakfast brown bag or smoothie the night before that they can eat on their way to school.

------

While I am not a doctor and can't speak from a professional standpoint, as a former coach I have observed that my athletes who were well fortified with a good breakfast always did better energy wise during the day and in athletic competition. It should naturally follow that a good breakfast should energize you during the day and make anyone more productive. All the more reason to fortify yourself with pancakes! :)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I am a huge fan of breakfast. I also very much enjoy lunch. I do without dinner cause there seem absolutely no point in going to bed on a full stomach.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Like you I love good, hearty breakfast as it sets me up for the day. But I also have to confess that I LOVE good, strong coffee. That really gets me going! :)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Like you I love good, hearty breakfast as it sets me up for the day. But I also have to confess that I LOVE good, strong coffee. That really gets me going! :)

I have only one cup of coffee a day. But I love americano's..or as I make them slighly long espresso'(not quite an espresso and not quite an americano). I love the strong, but not bitter.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
my lifelong brand:

Simply the best!