Packin' Heat

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The U.S. Supreme Court has just addressed the "bear" part of "keep and bear Arms," holding that New York's state law requiring a permit to go armed in public is unConstitutional.

Many, many years ago, I saw a movie or TV show that envisioned a future in which Charlton Heston was President and everybody carried guns everywhere all the time.

It was a dumb show. Shoulda known it would happen.

Next up will be concealed carry, I imagine.

Last edited:

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
The U.S. Supreme Court has just addressed the "bear" part of "keep and bear Arms," holding that New York's state law requiring a permit to go armed in public is unConstitutional.

Many, many years ago, I saw a movie or TV show that envisioned a future in which Charlton Heston was President and everybody carried guns everywhere all the time.

It was a dumb show. Shoulda known it would happen.

Next up will be concealed carry, I imagine.

1. I would feel a lot safer carrying a concealed gun around with you being around. I will bet that you are now very happy with the new hand gun law, eh chief? You should ask the criminals if they really do give a shit about any gun laws, chief. The criminals will still be able to buy and sell hand guns and still shoot people when the government is not looking. While at the same time law abiding Canadian citizen's cannot buy hand guns anymore. What makes lefty liberals like you so stupid anyway? Maybe you can answer that question for me, liberal?

2. America did have a President who believed in the 2nd Amendment and the right to conceal and bear arms. His name was Donald Trump. Charleston Heston would have made a great Vice-President.

3. You are a dumb show. LOL.

4. Next up there will be no freedom of speech allowed, and all guns will be banned in Canada. Just up your arse, I mean alley, eh chief? :geek:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Further to my last. . . now that I have read the case, I find that all it really does is remove from those states (6 or 7) who have it the requirement for "good and substantial cause" for a carry permit. States can still require permits, and make the process rather difficult. They just no longer have the discretion to say whether one's reason for wanting a permit is good enough or not.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Further to my last. . . now that I have read the case, I find that all it really does is remove from those states (6 or 7) who have it the requirement for "good and substantial cause" for a carry permit. States can still require permits, and make the process rather difficult. They just no longer have the discretion to say whether one's reason for wanting a permit is good enough or not.
Basically a rubber stamp permit system then? You can say reason for wanting a gun is to blow away 50 people and they have to grant you the permit?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Basically a rubber stamp permit system then? You can say reason for wanting a gun is to blow away 50 people and they have to grant you the permit?
Nope. The requirements are pretty onerous. But those six or seven states essentially say "You can apply, but even after you've checked all the boxes, We The State (y'know, those gol-dang gummint workers everybody hates?) will decide, based on criteria you don't know and we will not explain, whether you are to be one of the privileged or not."

I actually agree with the decision. That level of arbitrariness shouldn't be allowed in government.

This is the list of conditions for Maryland, pretty typical of the "may issue" states. . .

1. 21 or older (18 to 21 if required for employment).
2. Fingerprints and photo.
3. No criminal convictions.
4. Not alcoholic or drug user. (You get a DUI or test positive for drugs, the permit gets pulled.)
5. No "propensity to violence," based on an investigation that starts with the employer and goes as deep as the permitting authority deems necessary.
6. Approved training course within the last 2 years.
7. Two-year permit term, renewable for 3 years at a time. Training needed for each renewal.
8. "Good and sufficient reason" in the opinion of the permitting authority for carrying a gun.

That last one is the only criterion affected by the decision. The waiting period is up to 90 days. And by the way, this is after a separate permit to purchase a handgun, very similar requirements.