Ontario wants power to ban handguns

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca

Updated Sun. Feb. 5 2006 7:33 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Ontario's attorney general says his province should have the right to ban handguns.

Michael Bryant is quoted in Sunday's Toronto Star as saying that if the federal government does not give the provinces authority to ban the weapons, his province "will have to look at the narrow constitutional opportunities that are available to us."

According to Bryant, only the police, the military and Olympic sharpshooters should be allowed to have handguns.

The attorney general's comments come in the wake of what is believed to be the biggest known theft of handguns in recent Ontario history.

An Oshawa man's collection of 40 handguns was stolen from his home on Friday afternoon.

Ken Foster, 67, returned home from a hospital visit to discover his back door kicked in and his collection of 40 handguns stolen.

Foster says he collected the weapons over a 56-year period and that they were all legally purchased, registered and safely stored. Some of the weapons date back to the early 1900s.

"Nobody needs to have a handgun in their house, and nobody should because of the dangers caused even by safe storage of these weapons of human misery," said Bryant.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060205/handguns060205/20060205?hub=Canada

Well, "the cat was let out of the bag". It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will Harper grant the provinces the power over firearms desired by Ontario?

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
I don't see a problem with letting provinces make their own firearms laws, as Canada is so vast that different area's have different perceptions and needs. Mr Harper should go ahead and let provinces like Ontario or Quebec outright ban handguns if they please, while allowing provinces such as Alberta or Saskatchewan to make their own laws. I think this is the best solution as you cannot make national laws that suit Toronto, but ignore other provinces.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Furthermore if Ontario wants to ban all handguns and therefore impliment a buy back program (which would be likely).....then it should be the province/people of Ontario that foot the bill....as they ultimately vote for their leaders!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't know if a ban will do the trick, but I will say I am really pissed when someone has their 40 guns stolen. I doubt that kind of thing would happen if legal gun owners were made to be criminally responsible for their guns after they were stolen.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
the caracal kid said:

Updated Sun. Feb. 5 2006 7:33 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Ontario's attorney general says his province should have the right to ban handguns.

Michael Bryant is quoted in Sunday's Toronto Star as saying that if the federal government does not give the provinces authority to ban the weapons, his province "will have to look at the narrow constitutional opportunities that are available to us."

According to Bryant, only the police, the military and Olympic sharpshooters should be allowed to have handguns.

The attorney general's comments come in the wake of what is believed to be the biggest known theft of handguns in recent Ontario history.

An Oshawa man's collection of 40 handguns was stolen from his home on Friday afternoon.

Ken Foster, 67, returned home from a hospital visit to discover his back door kicked in and his collection of 40 handguns stolen.

Foster says he collected the weapons over a 56-year period and that they were all legally purchased, registered and safely stored. Some of the weapons date back to the early 1900s.

"Nobody needs to have a handgun in their house, and nobody should because of the dangers caused even by safe storage of these weapons of human misery," said Bryant.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060205/handguns060205/20060205?hub=Canada

Well, "the cat was let out of the bag". It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will Harper grant the provinces the power over firearms desired by Ontario?

Not a chance.

Not a prayer.

He would be hanged, drawn and quartered by the right wing of his party.

I personally would hoist him on the rope.

And never vote again.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Re: RE: Ontario wants power to ban handguns

tracy said:
I don't know if a ban will do the trick, but I will say I am really pissed when someone has their 40 guns stolen. I doubt that kind of thing would happen if legal gun owners were made to be criminally responsible for their guns after they were stolen.

So, what you are saying is the victims of crime should be held responsible............

This guy was robbed, for God's sake. He lost weapons worth probably tens of thousands of dollars. Now you want to make him responsible for the actions of the very criminals that victimized him?

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Colpy said:
Not a chance.

Not a prayer.

He would be hanged, drawn and quartered by the right wing of his party.

I personally would hoist him on the rope.

And never vote again.

I agree its a foolish way to stop handgun murders......but like I said if Ontario wants to ban handguns I have no problem, as long as they don't try to confiscate the private property of Albertans. Oh yea, and they need to foot the bill for their own gun buy back program!

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Switzerland - population 6 million

- # of publicly owned firearms - 2 million!
this includes approx. 600,000 automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols;
- all men between the ages of 21-32 are given M57 assault rifles and 24 rounds of ammo by the government which they must keep at home;
- in addition there are few restrictions on buying guns;
- the government even sells off surplus firearms to citizens when new weapons are introduced;
- violent crime is very rare;
- there are minimal controls on public buildings;
- politicians rarely have police protection;
- gun crime is so low that statistics are not even kept.

+++++

Dated 2003. Recent firearms regulations have not made the streets of Australia any safer either:

-The total homicide rate, after having remained basically flat from 1995 to 2001, has now begun climbing again;
-Over the past 6 years, the overall rate of violent crime in Australia has continued to increase; robbery and armed robbery rates continue to rise with armed robbery increasing 166% nationwide.

In contrast, violent crime rates, and homicide rates in particular, have been falling in the United States. The drop in the American crime rate is even more impressive when compared with the rest of the world. In 18 of 25 countries surveyed by the British Home Office, violent crime increased during the 1990’s.

+++++

A ban on all private ownership of handguns in Gresat Britain became law in November 1997. Based on factual research conducted in Great Britain since 1997, consider the following, all of which I have taken from the internet almost word for word. I take no credit for the hard work of others.

A study released in July 2001 by researchers at King’s College in London found “The use of handguns in crimes rose 40% in the 2 years after the weapons were banned.” The study also found that “It’s crystal clear from the research that the existing gun laws do not lead to crime reduction and a safer place. Policymakers have targeted the legitimate sporting and farming communities with ever-tightening laws, but the research clearly demonstrates that it is illegal guns which are the real threat to public safety. The study concluded that Britain’s experiment with gun prohibition has followed the same path as other government attempts at prohibition. Ever since guns were banned, every criminal has seen the merit of having one. In contrast, the U.S. has among the world’s lowest ‘hot’ burglary rates - defined as burglaries committed while people are in the building - at 13%. Compare that rate with GUN-FREE Great Britain’s rate, which is now up to 59%.

It’s logical. An American study showed that the #1 explanation from would-be burglars NOT to enter an occupied building was “I might get shot.”

“Criminals may be strolling down the road to Hell, but they’re not crazy enough to hurry the trip.”

“In June 2003 a CBS News report labelled Great Britain “one of the most violent urban societies in the western world”.

BBC News reported “a dramatic rise in violent crime in 1998 to the present (2001).” Statistics from the British Office of Home Affairs found that crime in Great Britain in 2001 was at epidemic levels, 60% higher per capita than in the U.S.”

Since the ban on all private ownership of handguns became law in 1997, handgun offences have risen each year since then. Overall, violent crime has spiked since that act of parliament.

A word of caution. It would be simplistic and dangerous to place all of the blame for this crime wave on the 1997 handgun ban. But it certainly has not “ended violent crime” as its supporters predicted. Illegal guns continue to flood the country. Young hoodlums and career criminals have no problem obtaining the firepower they need.

British social policy analyst, Michael S. Brown, O.D., sums up his government’s gun-ban implications for future generations of Britons. “It is no coincidence that crime typically goes up after a government enacts new gun restrictions. Several American researchers and criminologists have explored this effect. Whenever people give up their rights to self-defense in return for a promise of government protection, the results have been negative. No amount of social engineering will change this basic consequence of human nature. Unfortunately, the downward progression of gun control only goes on way. British subjects will never regain the basic human right of armed self defense.”

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Bryant should get his head out of his ass.

What a useless Atorney General he is. Maybe he should consider a career change from kissing the arse of our life-long bureaucrats for so many years.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Yea I do feel bad for the poor law abiding gun owners in Ontario who are being attacked and pushed around but hey, they elected their gov't. Plus there are always tons of jobs out west if they feel the need move out of the "urban ultra-leftist nightmare" they call Toronto.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
while bans don't work, i don't feel sorry for having guns removed from "legal owners" at all.

Funnily enough, you are more likely to be shot in the act of a crime in alberta than ontario. I wonder if a ban would reverse those numbers?

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Ontario just found a new way to spend more money. Fighting violent crime. First they have to raise the violent crime rate so they can spend more money that way since the public works is all under public scrutiny for all the corruption going on.

Looking to create greener pastures to screw the public in.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
sometimes IAC, i think you are wearing a tinfoil hat.

While i am sure that there are many cases of "self created issues to validate an agenda", you make it sound like that is the primary function of government.

thulin

Electoral Member
Jan 30, 2006
iamcanadian
What you are refering to is the swiss defence force, and military weapons. How much violence is caused by military weapons in Canada?

Sweden is also a country with loads of guns, mostly for hunting but we also have tens of thousands of "home guard" soldiers with these in their closets:

Those (legal weapons) are seldom used in criminal activitys though. Seems to me "getting tough on guns" most often mean making it hard to own and handle guns legal - but not changing the illegal market, and the illegal use of guns.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It just goes to show the mentality of the Liberals in Ontario. If they don't like something or can't figure out a way to deal with it, it gets banned. They don't have an original thought in their heads.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
Making people more villainous because the have or use a gun legal or otherwise is not the answer.

Bad ethics and lack of morals is the problem.

Street Thugs who use guns are no worse than the White Collar Thugs with public jobs who abuse the law and rules of conduct to cause harm to people.

I would say that the White Collar Thugs in public offices are much worse and do more harm and longer lasting harm to more people than the street thug and his gun.

Canadian society is falling apart because of the White Collar Publicly Employed Thugs who abuse the population generally and move the bar on how low the street thugs are prepared to stoop.

Get rid of the blatant corruption among our White Collar Civil Servants that set the standard for the Blue Collar crimes. Crime of every kind is relative.

If the population can take White Collar crimes by public servants in the millions of dollars and do nothing about it, then the society deserves equally levels of perverse Street Crimes to match.

We are back in the Roaring Twenties with Corruption running rampant in our governments and street gangs shooting it out in the streets.

Everything is relative.